SASS Wire Forum

Creamy Sweet Potato Soup

Subdeacon Joe

I peeled the foil top off a quart of plain yogurt the other day and found the recipe printed on it.

Creamy Sweet Potato Soup (12 servings)

INGREDIENTS

2 Tbs. Canola Oil

1 Large Sweet Onion, sliced

2 tsp. Ground Cumin

3 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 ½ qt. Chicken Broth

1 ¾ cups, Plain Yogurt

2 Tbs. chopped Parsley or Cilantro

¼ cup Toasted Pumpkin Seeds (optional)

==========================================================================================================================================================

DIRECTIONS

Heat oil, add onions & cumin and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add potatoes and broth, BTBRTS for 20 to 25 minutes. Puree with 1 ½ cups of yogurt and the parsley or cilantro. Serve with dollop of reserved yogurt and sprinkling of pumpkin seeds.

I'm making it now, will get back to you on it. I'm already playing with it in my mind. Maybe cut back on the cumin a bit and add in some ground coriander and cinnamon. And use some golden raisins or chopped dried apricots as garnish too.

That just sounds Nasty!

You lost me a 'Sweet potatoes'

That's almost as bad a LIVER!

I have to admit I am not a sweet potato person but make it with regular spuds add cheese and wow YUM!

I agree. Being German, I love potato soup. I make it using Red potatoes. Want a change of taste, use a different cheese.

Sweet potatoes just runs a creepy chill up my back.

Hmmmm....sounds like all y'all have only encountered sweets in that gawdawful marshmallow dish that gets hauled out for holiday dinners and church potlucks. Or cooked to death in syrup. I didn't care for them like that either.

Give 'em a try just baked, then seasoned with some butter, salt, and fresh ground pepper. Or butter, a bare touch of salt, and a bit of brown sugar.

Hmmmm....sounds like all y'all have only encountered sweets in that gawdawful marshmallow dish that gets hauled out for holiday dinners and church potlucks. Or cooked to death in syrup. I didn't care for them like that either.

Give 'em a try just baked, then seasoned with some butter, salt, and fresh ground pepper. Or butter, a bare touch of salt, and a bit of brown sugar.

We have them baked all the time also sliced and fried with bacon grease,onions and Yukon golds. That goes great with cedar plank salmon.

My wife cooks with sweet potatoes all the time. They're not just for casseroles any more.

The recipe is real close to a soup she made out of Thanksgiving leftovers that started with sweet potatoes as the base.

Sweet potatoes, onions, cumin, curry, yogurt, and a few other things I don't remember. Cook it like the recipe says and send it through the blender. Then she browned some savory sausage and cut it into small chunks.

It was a very tasty soup!

Mmmmmm.....

Creamy, smooth, a bit smoky from the cumin, a touch sweet from the sweet potatoes, and a little tangy from the yogurt. Definitely something to play with.

I'm a sweet potato fan. I'll try this recipe.

On the list of good sweet potato stuff don't forget french fires. Yum

Also, sliced raw sweet potatoes are excellent blood sugar regulators for those of us that have that problem. A zip lock bag full goes pretty quickly on the range.

I'm a sweet potato fan. I'll try this recipe.

On the list of good sweet potato stuff don't forget french fires. Yum

Also, sliced raw sweet potatoes are excellent blood sugar regulators for those of us that have that problem. A zip lock bag full goes pretty quickly on the range.

I had forgot about that "range snack"

thanks for reminding me

I have to admit I am not a sweet potato person but make it with regular spuds add cheese and wow YUM!

I made this yesterday, but I also put in a pound of hot sausage. I also use baked potatoes. :wub: Ever tried that?

Archived