SASS Wire Forum

Need Advice on a Crossbow

Blue Steel Duke

Well, Indiana DNR came through with my lifetime handicap hunting license and among other things it allows me to hunt Deer/Turkey year round with a crossbow. In looking at the selection from various sources there seems to be two main price groups, the $250 - $450 group and the $750+ group. Most have the same or close #pull and FPS rating, so is the price difference mainly with the scope that they all come with? This rifle only hunter would sure appreciate some advice! :blush:

BSD

BSD

I can only go with what I have , My crew got me am X-bow about 6 years ago . It is a Horton , 150 lb . I feel it is only good to app 40 yds or so based on penetration test I have done , any further is poking and hoping as far as I am concerned .

I just can not bring myself to hunt with the x-bow , I am still trying to get built back up to use the compound or the recurve . I may be forced into using it , but not yet .

FWIW , most of my bow shots have been under 20 yds , good camo and scent control is a must .

CB

Well, never hunted with one but used to play with one a fair amount. Depending on how strong and able you are, you may opt for a compound style. It might be easier to draw the string. That 150 lb prod, even with a foot loop, isn't real easy to cock.

I did shoot a long bow in high school.. and later I tried a compound. I never felt as sure of myself as I was with a rifle.. so I never hunted with one, only shot bales of hay and targets.. But I never tired cross bow. It does look like fun to shoot though. But I don't hunt anymore either...

I have two compound crossbows, both in the upper price range. One has a crank so my wife can pull it back with ease. They shoot at @330-350 FPS. I have taken deer at 50 yards max, all have fallen. Wife has taken deer to about 40 yards, all fell. "scope" is actually just a site, no magnification. (red dot)

Cash

A couple of folks in another forum have recommended the Parker BuckBuster for around $600, anyone have an opinion on them?

BSD

Archived