SASS Wire Forum

TITEGROUP in 38 sp

GPG

Looking at the hogdon manual its showing about 850 fps. Should be able to slow it a little more right?

Looking at the hogdon manual its showing about 850 fps. Should be able to slow it a little more right?

If you "slow" it any more you will start getting pushed back primers. This from personal experience. Don't do it!!

Al

TG is a good powder, but doesn't do well at the low pressures of "pharty" loads. Clays is better at doing that. Or Bullseye or 700X. It's too bad, as TG is designed to be a target powder. The Hodgdon data takes it down to where it doesn't quite all burn. Lower than that, lies disappointment.

Good luck,GJ

Also....if ya go off the chart on the LOW Side the Extreme spread and Standard deviation go way up. TG does not perform well with Mouse Phart Loads.....Bandit

Your fingers and you face, so I don't care how low you go.

Unless I'm the TO for you then you better have either deep pockets or a good liability policy!

And, if you read their explanation, they are used a test barrel that give velocities up to 175 fps more velocity than a normal revolver with a 4 1/2 inch or 5 1/2inch barrel. So if you chronograph those loads, the would probably be a significant amount lower than the 850 listed.

I have used that identical load,(the one you edited out), for about five years and never had a problem with it. Mine run around 800 fps in a 5 in barrel. a little more in the rifle.

Mink..............

GPG, instead of downloading with TiteGroup which I don't recommend because your question shows your an inexperienced reloader ... why not just change to a different powder that will produce the lower minimum velocity than 850 fps?

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=38%20Special&Weight=All&type=Handgun

And as a Christmas present to yourself - buy 2 or 3 reloading manuals that include lead bullets!

Merry Christmas

I thank you for the tips on titegroup. I have a lot of different powders on hand and with getting involved in sass a year ago I am trying to develop/find recipes for some powders I have on the shelf. I guess they dont like receipes listed on the wire even if out of a manual.

Gordy

Archived