SASS Wire Forum

Nette pot.. amebic meningoencephalitis

Deja Vous

Many years ago I had a broken nose.. end of that story.. I had to have surgery in 1991 to be able to breath thru my nose. At the time I was told about the Nette pot, and I have use it.. today... I used it cuz I have congestion.. but I am considering tossing it.. a few people have died over this treatment.. geesh. .whats new.. lol.. Anyhow.. if you use one.. please read the warnings.. I am .. thanks.. DV..

Many years ago I had a broken nose.. end of that story.. I had to have surgery in 1991 to be able to breath thru my nose. At the time I was told about the Nette pot, and I have use it.. today... I used it cuz I have congestion.. but I am considering tossing it.. a few people have died over this treatment.. geesh. .whats new.. lol.. Anyhow.. if you use one.. please read the warnings.. I am .. thanks.. DV..

I use one also...But did not research any problems I'm just very careful on how I use it and so far no problems...But I guess I should look into...It does help on the breathing and that goes a long ways for sleeping at night...

Texas Lizard

I use one also...But did not research any problems I'm just very careful on how I use it and so far no problems...But I guess I should look into...It does help on the breathing and that goes a long ways for sleeping at night...

Texas Lizard

Yep you do have to be so careful.. I am looking at it now too.. This year they gave me Norvac for HPB.. considering trashing it too.. lol

Nette Pots need to be cleaned and sterilized. bacteria begins to grow in warm moist environments and then during usage, you inhale the bacteria directly into the lungs.

You learn more in The Saloon than a week on Google. :lol:

Late at night I listen to Coast to Coast Radio with George Nory (use to be Art Bell) and this story hit the news last night. A 20 year old male and a 54 year old female died. Seems it's OK to drink tap water, but not for flushing out your sinus cavities. Infection from bacteria caused problems.

Big Jake

http://www.google.com/search?q=pics+of+neeti+pots&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I always use distilled water in mine as recommended.

Also if you have a CPAP you should also use distilled water in the humidifier.

CPK

Sawbones said I need to use one cuz I have sinuses that always drain something fierce.

Did not help, so I stopped using da dang thing !

I had never even heard of a Neti Pot until last week.

A coworker recommended using one. She swears her whole family uses them all the time.

I went and bought the kind that uses batteries.

I ended up going to the doctor Thursday afternoon because I was tired of trying to fight a sinus infection with just over the counter meds.

I asked my doctor about the Neti Pot. She believes they help many people but she did tell me to make sure I always use bottled water, not tap water.

She told me of people who have died from the bacteria in tap water.

I find it very interesting that a week ago I had never even heard of this and now it's all over the news.

Not bacteria. Both fatalities were in Louisiana. Apparently the victims used tap water in the pot instead of the recommended distilled water.

There was brain eating amoeba in the tap water. The critters entered thru the sinuses and traveled to the brains of the poor unfortunates. Unknown why the chlorine in the tap water failed to kill the amoeba as it should have. Investigation continues.

While bacteria is no bueno and may make you sick, the amoeba is almost always fatal in just a few days or even hours. No treatment, no hope. Once the nasty little buggers get in ye are doomed.

Just what are the problems, we use the squeeze type plastic bottle, please tell us the dangers..... Thankx Red

The short version.. TAP water.... I think you can copy and paste and look up the disease on google. But waht I got from it was the tap water bacteria... Kinda scarey.

Late at night I listen to Coast to Coast Radio with George Nory (use to be Art Bell) and this story hit the news last night. A 20 year old male and a 54 year old female died. Seems it's OK to drink tap water, but not for flushing out your sinus cavities. Infection from bacteria caused problems.

Big Jake

In most of these types of infections, it is our own normal flora (our own microorganisms aka: MO) that are the problem. The sinuses are a series of membranes that separate the exterior from interior membranes of the brain (called meninges). If compromised by surgeries these membranes are never as effective as before.

Tap water varies in "contamination", treated water (chlorinated or ozonated) is usually clean but may become contaminated at the source, e.g. your taps/fixtures become colonized over time and allow MOs to enter water. If this is used for dilution it could introduce MOs into fluids that come in contact with those compromised membranes.

Well and untreated groundwater are always to be considered contaminated.

Flush solutions are sterile unless sloppy handling contaminates them. Dilution using distilled water, which is also sterile, reduce risk. Boiling your tap water also reduces risk.

Amebic memnigoencephalitis is mainly caused by Naeglaria fowleri which is associated with surface/pond/lake waters. Most people afflicted with "bug" had demonstrable contact with surface water. This parasite cannot survive in chorinated or distilled water and is easily filtered.

Sorry for the lecture. I am prepping for an infection control certification exam.

DD

Years ago, the doctor that opened my sinuses, told me to get a new water-pic and gave me a nasal adapter for it. He said to use a solution of warm tap water, pickeling salt, (no iodine), and baking soda. I used that three times a day to flush the sinuses after surgery.

Now, when ever my sinuses get backed up, I mix up a batch and flush them out. Is this on the line of what you're speaking of? I've never heard of a Nette pot.

Years ago, the doctor that opened my sinuses, told me to get a new water-pic and gave me a nasal adapter for it. He said to use a solution of warm tap water, pickeling salt, (no iodine), and baking soda. I used that three times a day to flush the sinuses after surgery.

Now, when ever my sinuses get backed up, I mix up a batch and flush them out. Is this on the line of what you're speaking of? I've never heard of a Nette pot.

I'm not sure about everyone else but that is exactly what I am talking about.

The machine I bought is made by Waterpik. I buy the premeasured Saline packets that go with the machine.

The packets contain saline(salt), Eucalyptus Oil,and Aloe Vera Extract.

My doctor told me, "it may not help but it won't hurt....as long as you don't use tap water.... use bottled water or tap water that has been boiled"

What I use does not actually say "Neti Pot" on the box.

There were some Neti Pots on the shelf right next to the Waterpik I bought so it's the same concept.

I'm not sure about everyone else but that is exactly what I am talking about.

The machine I bought is made by Waterpik. I buy the premeasured Saline packets that go with the machine.

The packets contain saline(salt), Eucalyptus Oil,and Aloe Vera Extract.

My doctor told me, "it may not help but it won't hurt....as long as you don't use tap water.... use bottled water or tap water that has been boiled"

What I use does not actually say "Neti Pot" on the box.

There were some Neti Pots on the shelf right next to the Waterpik I bought so it's the same concept.

CL

Thank ya darlin. I guess I might need to start boilin my well water first from now on. I've got enough wild life runnin around my place. Don't need to add any live stock up my nose.

Dutchman

If you've ever tried to learn how to water ski you've experienced the effects of a netti pot. I hit the water so hard I forced lake water out of my eye sockets. A week later I blew my nose and found a small perch in the hanky. Now I've got to worry about brain eating amoeba, too? I don't think we allow those in California. We live in a dangerous world, every other thing can kill you, so I believe I'll live dangerously and use tap water in my netti pot with a little salt. The darn thing helps, and if I get brain eating amoeba, so be it.

Water sking.. lolll Oh boy do I remember that.. lol... But the worst was a huge inflatable weiner that my brother had behind his boat. I rode it with his 12 year old daughter .. and yep as we rolled it over she kicked me off into the lake and I got a high speed does of lake water in my nose.. lol... Irrigation ideed.. lol.. I cough up water for a long time... lol

Archived