SASS Wire Forum

For fans of The Great Escape

Utah Bob #35998

Remembber Tom, Dick, and Harry? Now there's George.

Tunnel discovered.

Remembber Tom, Dick, and Harry? Now there's George.

Tunnel discovered.

Now here is were I will make some of you jealous.....way back when I was station down at Port Hueneme is So.Ca. my motorcycle mechanic ( we called him "The Dutchman" ask me one Saturday if I wanted to go with him to services one of his customers Triumphs I said OK and we were off to Malibu.....We pulled up to a wear house and he took out his key and opened the door and we went in....I about S*&%.....there was the finest collection of motorcycles I had ever say or will ever see again.

As I am standing there dumbfounded in walks this little long haired guy ...The Dutchman looks up and says Steve this is Rick he is a friend of mine who is a SeaBee stationed at Hueneme....It was Steve McQueen!

Well as The Dutchman worked on Mr. McQueen's bike Mr. McQueen he took me on a guided tour of his motorcycles and he let me ride his Vincent around the block a couple of times....He had 3 of the bikes that he used in the Great Excape and I got to sit on all of them!....Needless to say it is a day I will never forget!....On that day I was the Luckiest guy in the world :)

I have a friend who is a former SASS member with the Alias of "Mexican Bob." His dad was a B24 pilot that was shot down over Italy in 1943. When taken into German captivity, his dad was taken to Stalag Luft III in Sagan Germany. He survived the war and was there at the camp during the "Great Escape," but was to injured to escape with the others. Bob's dad a technical advisor for the film. He kept a journal during his captivity with all kinds of neat drawing and stuff he wrote about being a POW. It's a really nice journal that I have looked at myself.

For those of you into trivia, the fellow that James Garner played (the scrounger)in the movie died in Calgary about five years ago. He was a Canadian not an American in an RCAF uniform. Americans who joined the RCAF did not have USA as a shoulder flash as James Garner wore in the movie. Regardless of nationality one wore CANADA on the shoulder flash. The actor who played the forger (can't remember his name) actually was a RAF POW in a German POW camp. Although it was a Brit movie, to sell it in the US they had to add some American actors playing American servicmen. Same for the movie Bridge on the River Kwai (not sure of the spelling) they added William Holden playing an American serviceman just so it would sell in the US. Regardless, I love both movies.

For those of you into trivia, the fellow that James Garner played (the scrounger)in the movie died in Calgary about five years ago. He was a Canadian not an American in an RCAF uniform. Americans who joined the RCAF did not have USA as a shoulder flash as James Garner wore in the movie. Regardless of nationality one wore CANADA on the shoulder flash. The actor who played the forger (can't remember his name) actually was a RAF POW in a German POW camp. Although it was a Brit movie, to sell it in the US they had to add some American actors playing American servicmen. Same for the movie Bridge on the River Kwai (not sure of the spelling) they added William Holden playing an American serviceman just so it would sell in the US. Regardless, I love both movies.

That was Donald Pleasance.

Not to hijack the thread but,speaking of altering movies to sell in certain countries, we watched one the other night. It was called Christmas Lodge and it was filmed in Canada (BC actually) with Canadian actors however, they wanted to sell it to the US networks, so they made it a story that took place in the State of Washington,and included a couple of shots of the Seattle skyline just to cinch it. They even used some Canadian Black actors to give it a U.S. flavor. Nevertheless, it was a good Christmas story but, it shows that you can't tell an American from a Canadian. This past September, my wife and I were down in the States and on our way home, we just pulled out of Great falls, MT when I came down with a bout of hay fever. We stopped in one of the little towns to get some Clariton. As I was telling my story to the druggist, he asked where we were heading, I said Calgary and he replied, "Are you an American or Canadian." I said that, I know it's hard to tell the difference but, I'm a Canadian. It kind of goes to show that we are interchagable. :lol::)

Merry Christmas to all.

Archived