SASS Wire Forum

Lone Star rifle tragedy

Oddnews SASS# 24779

I have the word from another firearms related forum that Daven Higgenbotham of Lone Star rifles was killed by an AD while removing a loaded firearm from a vehicle.

Although I never met him personally I've seen several examples of his artistry. Even if his company has the continued success that I hope it has, he will be missed by all who care about fine single shots and Remington Rolling Blocks.

Prayers to his family.

Dave fixed an original NYS roller for me, and later built a roller in C45S for me. He was the most knowledgeable Rolling Block guy in the world, and was so talented a builder, he built rifles for presidents and stars. Yet he was down to earth, and would take the time to explain anything he could. Sad, sad indeed.

Prayers up for his family and friends.

To those who didn't know Dave, a story illustrates his humility and humor. When I first bought my .50-70 roller, I searched online for data and advice, stumbling upon Dave's website, which among other things had a reprint of a magazine article he had written about the .50-70.

So never having dealt with him, I emailed Dave, asking his advice on a load for the 130 year old gun. In my email, I said something to the effect of "They say you know everything there is to know about the .50-70 roller..."

In his reply, Dave quoted me and said, "I would say they are half right. I know exactly half as much as they say I do, which can be boiled down to just this. Every competition I placed in and every 'buff shot was done with (XX) grains drop tubed Swiss 1 1/2, a .030 Walters wad, bullets cast from #2 alloy, and 1/16" compression. These will give you consistency. The rest is up to you."

Now of course I couldn't have known it then, but I'd talk to dave many times after that. When he fixed my NYS roller, I sent a note asking him to tell me what it was going to cost to repair once he got inside it. A week or so later my phone rang and it was Dave. "Got yer rifle fixed and shipped it out this morning."

A little unnerved, I asked "Geez, how much do I owe ya?"

Dave sensed my unease and replied in his typical form, "Oh (heck) just sign over yer first born", then with a chuckle he told me the total, which was about half what I had anticipated. That was who Dave was. He fixed my gun using the ONLY part he had for one (nobody else had that part) and charged half the expected rate, then sent the gun back before even asking for payment. He was a "good ole boy" in the very best sense of the word.

I am very sadden to hear of Daves death. Dave was one of the few men that from the minute You met him You knew he was going to be a friend for life. Dave did several jobs on my rifles for me and few know that he was also a man who knew Sharps as well as Remmingtons. He worked on several of my orginal Sharps and knew what he was doing. I remember the day I showed Dave a orginal Sharps 1874 model in 44 caliber. The rifle should have been a 44-77 being made in 1871, But it would not chamber a 44-77. Dave soon found the chamber had been recut to shoot 44-90 and trying a 44-90 round the lever would still not close all the way. Without futher time, Dave checked inside and told me the chamber was cut for paper patch bullets of the time and if I wanted to shoot lead bullets he would have to cut the chamber for lead. I told him to do it after he infromed me there were several different chambers for the 44-90 cartage. I had no idea there were but his knowledge far beyond the average gunsmiths. I watched as He chambered the old Sharps as I ask and looking around his shop at dozens of old cartages laying around and as Dave picked a hand full up and just from loooking at each he infromed me he was going to have to load a few to check out my rifle. He dug around a bit and said "Here we are, 44-90 Sharps" and I watched as he loaded a handfull with black powder. Then we got in his pickup and drove up the hill behind his shop to a lake and as we got out he asked if I wanted to fire the old Sharps or him, I told him to go ahead and looking across the small lake we saw a huge tutle on a log and Dave said he had wanted to kill that tutle and at about 90 yards Dave fired and chunks of tutle flew high in the air from the first shot from the old Sharps for God only knows when. The old Sharps also had a screw that was bent and Dave made one and aske dif I wanted it aged to match the rifle. Dave also build up a 50-110 Sharps that had been a 45-70 and He did the sights and everthing and charged Me a very fair price for a lot of work.

Inside His shop, As soon as You walked in the door You felt You were in an old time gun shop. Parts of guns everwhere and a rack of complete guns alone the wall and milling machines and tools everwhere. Dave was one that shared his love for guns and made you feel at home when you were around him. His favorite Rifles was one he made for himself in 50-70 Gov. and He showed me the special 750 grain RCBS bullet mould he used to hunt bufflo with. I ordered one myself for my 50 cal. Sharps.

When A Man like Dave is gone, We all will miss him and his willing to always share his knowledge and so willing to lent a helping hand ever chance he had. I know I sure will. May Dave rest in peace, He was My Friend and Fellow Pard.

Texas Man

Archived