SASS Wire Forum

Prison made 1911 Grips (SPF to Carolina Longarm)

My loss is your gain. I recently commissioned these grips and find they are simply to thick for me to use.

The back story; I live in Huntsville, Texas and every time there is an execution scheduled a contingent of Texas Rangers comes in to town to provide extra security at the death chamber(Huntsville, Unit). After the procedure is complete the Rangers mainly being from out of town go to dinner before returning home.

The last time this happened I was eating at a local barbeque place favored by law enforcement and happened to be seated at the table next to 5 Rangers, 5 of which carried 1911's of one stripe or another. One Rangers grips caught my eye, I introduced my self and asked who had made the grips. It seems there is an inmate incarcerated at the Polanski unit in Lewisville, TX (Death Row) Through a friend who works for TDCJ I contracted for the set you see below, 2 months later and 2 round trips to Lewisville, they are mine and too thick for my taste.

They are steel, heavily engraved with buffalo skull in high relief with the Texas flag motif cloisonned on the skull as you can see.

They may require final fitting to your gun. I placed them on both a Kimber and a 1949 vintage 38 Super and they fit fine just too darn thick for me.

only the grips are for sale, the guns are only to demonstrate the fit and look. $215 shipped.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d81/buffalonichols/IMG_0992.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d81/buffalonichols/IMG_0993.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d81/buffalonichols/IMG_0994.jpg

A question was raised about the grips adding weight to the gun so I used a kitchen scale to determine the following;

They add about 3 oz. over Colt factory wood with medallions, about 2 oz. over mastodon ivory and about 2.5 oz. Over elephant ivory with Colt medallions. So yes they do add weight, not so much as to be a burden for a belt gun but the 2 to 3 oz addition may provide a bit more control.

I hope that helps.

Ain't got the xtra money but gotta have them, so "I'll Take'em"! btw do you have any written correspondence to go with them indicating their origin like comes with belt buckles from Ranger Museum. Not doubting your word I just think it adds interest to the story....PM me with where and how to send funds.

gold dust wnet out yesterday o n the "Overland".

Ain't got the xtra money but gotta have them, so "I'll Take'em"! btw do you have any written correspondence to go with them indicating their origin like comes with belt buckles from Ranger Museum. Not doubting your word I just think it adds interest to the story....PM me with where and how to send funds.

Archived