SASS Wire Forum

Honing SxS Chambers

Rance - SASS # 54090

On my SxS's I've honed the chambers to a dull finish.. ya know.. loosen them up a little fer shuckin' shells..

I've seen here on the wire that some of the cowboys say they polish them to a mirror finish..

My shells fall out fine with a dull finish..

I've seen folks say here on the wire that if they are mirror finish it can give them more tendency to stick :blush:

Yet the cowboys with mirror finish don't seem to be complainin' any..

Just kinda wonderin' how a SxS gunsmith hones the chambers for their customers.. dull or mirror finish..

Reason fer askin'... I've got my new backup shotgun sittin' in the gun cabinet and figure I'd work on it this winter..

Maybe even work on my 2 match SxS's if need be..

Dull or mirrored..

Rance <_<

Just thinkin' what might be best :mellow:

Oh yeah.. I ain't a gunsmith.. :)

I have 2 shotguns I sent to Goatneck Clem, an SKB and a Yildiz. He polished both chambers to what I would call a mirror finish. No problem shucking shells on either.

Back when I was shooting Stoegers, I did a couple myself with Scotchbrite pads wrapped around a wooden dowel, chucked in a drill to spin them. They were more of a dull finish and they worked OK too.

All you need to do is polish the chambers so they are not rough. So dull is fine.

But most folks expect to see shiny - even though it is not necessary. Since that is the expectation, many smiths polish it shiny to keep folks happy.

Theoretically, two shiny polished surfaces can stick together more readily than not so shiny, but as you have noticed that doesn't seem to be a problem for most folks with their shotguns.

Rance,

It is a relative kind of thing...how smooth is slick...how high is up?

What you're after is to remove any tooling marks or roughness.

Being a lazy kind of a guy I quit polishing when the shells started falling out easily. I was left with a dull finish. I did not see any reason to continue polishing to a shiny finish, I see no harm in it either.

What I am not crazy about is chambers that are honed out to 11 ga. Totally unneeded and very close to the edge of my comfort zone.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Polish until the spent rounds fall out.

If you use emery cloth start with a high number grit greater than 400 say 600, thus avoiding the 11 ga as Smoke mentioned.

Use some oil on the emery cloth.

Then clean the chamber thoroughly prior to use.

It's working? Let it be. Trying to follow the crowd for the sake of following makes a person a lemming....

Well... from the looks of the replies... ain't much difference between being Highly Polished :rolleyes: and being Dull :blush:

I've been dull fer a long time.. :mellow: guess I'll stay dull :blink:

Rance <_<

Thinkin' dull ain't all bad :blush:

Okay boys :rolleyes: ... Where's my oil??? Where's my hone?? :huh: Kinda dull ain't it :)

I recently cleaned my SxS chambers: chamfer the mouths, buff the inside to a dull finish in a circular motion, and then buff the inside with scotchbrite front-to-back where the brass base of the hull meets the chamber. The idea is to not have grain marks counter to the direction of the hull cloming in and out of the chamber.

(This is one of those things that carry over from working as an engineer and one of those things that really does not help one wee bit. It's just mental.)

If these barrels are Chrome Moly, a mirror finish will be very difficult to rust, while a dull finish will be quite susceptible to rust.

A mirrored finish will not hold dirt and grime like a dull, rougher finish will.

A polished chamber will always look more "professional" and should allow easier extraction.

Rance:

I agree...use what's been working...change for the sake of change usually isn't so good.

Food for thought: I've found that with the 10 ga., Remington hulls, and the BP loads I use, I have to keep the chambers really shiny. On the other hand, my son's 12 gauge with STS hulls and the same powder actually prefers smooth, but not so shiny...!

CS

If these barrels are Chrome Moly, a mirror finish will be very difficult to rust, while a dull finish will be quite susceptible to rust.

A mirrored finish will not hold dirt and grime like a dull, rougher finish will.

A polished chamber will always look more "professional" and should allow easier extraction.

Point made

Goatneck

Archived