SASS Wire Forum

Now THAT'S an Air Show!

Subdeacon Joe

I remember sonic booms a lot as a kid. Edwards AFB was 100 miles north of us and the planes would cross the coast heading home. When the Shuttle came into Edwards we'd get the booms also. Saw airshows at Edwards with F-104's

TF

I remember sonic booms a lot as a kid. Edwards AFB was 100 miles north of us and the planes would cross the coast heading home. When the Shuttle came into Edwards we'd get the booms also. Saw airshows at Edwards with F-104's

TF

The BOOMS are pretty much an every day thing here ;)

Along with the daily "air-show" we see from Plant 42.

LG

no air shows round here lately that I know of, but saw 2 F-16s doing low fly overs this past weekend. Kinda makes you wonder what's going on...

Budget cuts, we won't see much military at air shows for a while. :angry:

Down here on Cape Cod in the early 60s, we had Otis AFB. F101 Voodos were flying all over the place and breaking sound barriers weekly. As a little kit it used to scare the crap out of me.

Just off the coast they sunk an old freighter and used to live fire on it with F86 Sabers and then F4 Fanthoms. This ship was less than a mile off shore! We also had "No-Mans Island where the heavy bombers would drop live bombs. Talk about a GREAT airshow!

But last summer I saw the new F22 fly..............Simply out of this world flying. That plane does the absolute impossible (Check out YouTube)

And then of course, the best airshow flying of all time................Bob Hoover in a Rockwell Strike Commander, twin prop business plane! (You gotta check this out on YouTube!)

The B58 was the baddest looking bomber ever. Looked like it was going supersonic while sitting on the tarmac. :lol:

I bet the Russians said "Holy Crapski!" the first time they saw it.

The B58 was the baddest looking bomber ever. Looked like it was going supersonic while sitting on the tarmac. :lol:

I bet the Russians said "Holy Crapski!" the first time they saw it.

At Carswell (as a military brat) we were always hearing the rumors that it was hard for the chase planes to stay up with the Hustler. It was a super bad looking bird, both on the ground and in the air. I loved being a kid in the Air Force, I got to see us (the USA) change from deregibles, props, jets, and super sonic. At Kelly we saw what was and what was coming, it was a super neat time and some of the finest planes the USA ever put in the air.

Thanks for posting.

The Hustler was always a way sexy looking bomber, only surpassed by the B1 to my mind. Dad bought me a model of it when we were at Holloman AFB in NM in the mid 60's and I painted it flat black which is how I think it should have been made.

Many years ago, NAS Point Mugu did quite a bit of live-fire at their air shows.

Also a few sonic booms too.

Not any more :(

Cheers,

LG

Lumpy,

Right on about the sonic booms, as well as the variety and qualtiy of the airmanship skills displayed by an array of our planes in those days! I was there too, and my Dad was Ops O at Mugu during a couple years of that period (also a GREAT time for the Dodgers!!).

The "live fire' stuff in the late '50s/early '60s at Mugu was a a bit of a slight of hand (for safety) in that all the "bombs" that were "dropped" and the "strafing" in the Lagoon were charges "staged" by EOD and initiated in time sequence with the aircraft passes. It was well done and I had great insight from my Dad. This was one more major influence on my childhood desire to fly for the Navy!!

Harvey

PS. You gonna shoot with us this weekend? Haven't seen you and Ima in a while.

Saw Bob Hoover come into Torrance in his Aero Commander years ago. He touched the right wheel, then the left , then the right, then down. No air show, he was just having fun.

TF

Archived