SASS Wire Forum

Holiday Drinking and Driving

Subdeacon Joe

Please, take care of yourself out on the roads this holiday season. A recent joint study conducted by the Department of Health and the Department of Motor Vehicles indicates that 23% of traffic accidents are alcohol related. This means that the remaining 77% are caused by those who drink bottled water, starbucks, soda, juice, energy drinks, and the like.

Therefore, beware of those who do not drink alcohol. They cause three times as many accidents.

When you see the results of drinking and driving first hand you will realize that this is not a topic to joke about

Henry, I think the post was about NOT drinking and driving. Lighten up a bit,its the season to be merry.

I never drink and drive, learned not to a long time ago. Might hit a bump and spill it.

Henry, I think the post was about NOT drinking and driving. Lighten up a bit,its the season to be merry.

I never drink and drive, learned not to a long time ago. Might hit a bump and spill it.

Sort of. And a reminder that just even if you aren't drinking you can still be a danger to others. General awareness and all that.

Also an illustration of how you can play with numbers to show just about anything you want.

Just because a subject is serious doesn't mean we can't find some humor in it too. Otherwise we might just as well cut our throats because life would be too dark and difficult to bear.

Please, take care of yourself out on the roads this holiday season. A recent joint study conducted by the Department of Health and the Department of Motor Vehicles indicates that 23% of traffic accidents are alcohol related. This means that the remaining 77% are caused by those who drink bottled water, starbucks, soda, juice, energy drinks, and the like.

Therefore, beware of those who do not drink alcohol. They cause three times as many accidents.

Hpoe you dont mind, butta I gotta steal this, gona make up some cards, thankx in advance...

Hpoe you dont mind, butta I gotta steal this, gona make up some cards, thankx in advance...

LOL, how do you think I got it?

Ever wonder about humor? How many of us ever come up with a new jokes and such? Usually we just pass on what we have read or heard. So....where do these things originate?

Sort of. And a reminder that just even if you aren't drinking you can still be a danger to others. General awareness and all that.

Also an illustration of how you can play with numbers to show just about anything you want.

Just because a subject is serious doesn't mean we can't find some humor in it too. Otherwise we might just as well cut our throats because life would be too dark and difficult to bear.

Pretty much...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If some of us didn't have dark humor we'd have no humor at all.

Drinking and driving is a serious issue, however as a mentor of mine once said, laughing about it (the subject)is better than crying about it. Sometimes you got to do both. It is none the less serious.

If some of us didn't have dark humor we'd have no humor at all.

Drinking and driving is a serious issue, however as a mentor of mine once said, laughing about it (the subject)is better than crying about it. Sometimes you got to do both. It is none the less serious.

Sometimes, black humor is they only way we can deal with horrors over which we have no control. It does not mean that we are treating the subject lightly; it is a form of protection against being crushed by the enormity of the pain.

LL

As someone who drinks soda and coffee, I would like to point out that the statement incorrectly attributes the non-alcohol related 77% of accidents to those who drink bottled water, starbucks, soda, juice, energy drinks, and the like without considering that SOME of those 77% are caused by weather or defective equipment or even people who drink beer but just happen to be sober at the time of the incident. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Black humor has been around for ages.

You want to hear some, hang around police officers or fireman at the scene of a fatality, esp. if they are having to wait for the coroner/medical examiner, ambulance, etc. Everything and everybody are fair game - sometimes you have to make a joke about things or you'll go just bat$h!t nuts.

After 38 years as a police officer and having to help cut too many dead people from cars after they were killed by drunk drivers I have no sense of humor in that area. Remember when you are standing around cracking jokes that someone and maybe a loved one of the victim might just be listening.

When you lift a dead 3 year old from a smashed car while the mother piteously wails in grief as the drunk complains about the damage to his truck you will start to understand

Very true Joe. Like my Dad used to say: "Figures don't lie, but any liar can figure". Just depends on the agenda of the person or group providing the spin.

We see it every day when it comes to guns, don't we?

With drinking & driving, I think the dark humor here is used to blunt the egde of the horror it can cause.

Henry, so where you come from the cops perform rescue services too? Round these parts that job is left for the trained rescue personnel. I have been involved in many ah drunk related crash also, but still find time to joke about things. hell lifes too shirt not to crack a joke.

Hey, did ya hear the one about the ole drunk that uh,------------- aw heck I forgot ya weren't interested. :lol::lol:

Henry, so where you come from the cops perform rescue services too? Round these parts that job is left for the trained rescue personnel. I have been involved in many ah drunk related crash also, but still find time to joke about things. hell lifes too shirt not to crack a joke.

Hey, did ya hear the one about the ole drunk that uh,------------- aw heck I forgot ya weren't interested. :lol::lol:

In a medium size department where the EMS and Fire Services are volunteer most of us are cross trained.

I don’t want to insinuate that I was trained in anything that would remotely resemble what standards are today. When I started we were just about 4 years out of the old swoop and dash days of the converted station wagons driven by patrol officers serving as ambulances. The first true ambulances we ever had in the community were still not much more than that, there was O2 on board and a basic first response bag that was about it, at times the driver was the only person on the ambulance so you did what you had to do.

In the time I was with that community we went from a rural farming area to an area that is headquarters for a couple dozen multi national corporations, a University and three military instillations with more hotel rooms than the city of Pittsburgh.

I have the same macabe black humor that most cops have when it comes to what people do to themselves. Get drunk and kill yourself and I have no sympathy, but DUI just involves to many innocent victims to joke about it

Archived