SASS Wire Forum

my little girl

Trigger Mike

My local club requires you to be 8 to be near the ranges. She turned 8 today. Now she can shoot and get ready for a match. I have missed several this year now that we have our 4th child. Hopefully I can get back into it more now that the baby is getting bigger. We took her to the local Horsetown and bought her a pink hat, pink boots and some spurs, only the spurs are too small now that I unwrapped them. I will take them back and exchange them. I already have her a 2 Ruger 22 single six, that she shot at a friends farm, the other day I got a 410 double barrell, and I have a browning lever action. She seems slightly too small for the stock on the rifle and shotgun, but I plan on taking her out and get her used to everything first and then taking her to a match. I notice that with a BB gun she seems to lean her head too far in and maybe looking with the wrong eye. Any ideas on how to fix that?

All probably too long. This will lead to fatigue. Guns need to fit. Hard on them to acquire sights and the excess leverage works hard against kids short arms. Butt stock needs to shorten. Get with Doc Duncan. His daughter shoots up your way. They have had to do some things to accommodate her small stature.

if she is left eye dominant get two pairs of shooting glasses.

take one pair and either smear chapstick or vaseline on the inside of the left lense. just enough to blur it and force her right eye to take over. use this pair only when shes on the line so she doesnt get a headache. we used to train skeet shooters that way.

cc

You need to find her dominant eye. Sounds like she may need to learn to shoot long guns with her non dominant hand.

Ethyan Cord hit it just right. While she's still young and hasn't developed any permanent habits, find out which is her dominate eye. A Large percentage of females are left eye dominent, and therefore need to shoot their long guns from the left shoulder. Pistol too. It will be relatively easy to train her now, if a switch is needed, but will be very hard to change later on, after she develops habits that are hard to break.

Shooting with your dominate eye is important, so address it NOW, rather than later.

RBK

Ethyan Cord hit it just right. While she's still young and hasn't developed any permanent habits, find out which is her dominate eye. A Large percentage of females are left eye dominent, and therefore need to shoot their long guns from the left shoulder. Pistol too. It will be relatively easy to train her now, if a switch is needed, but will be very hard to change later on, after she develops habits that are hard to break.

Shooting with your dominate eye is important, so address it NOW, rather than later.

RBK

I will try it, both blurring the left eye lense and also her shooting with the left hand, to see which comes out better.

Archived