SASS Wire Forum

Gun Show Today

Went to a local toy expo today in Medina. This show is usually pretty well atended, but nothing like today. It was like a kicked over ant hill.

Crowded to the point of claustrophobia, and you just sort of drifted along on the tide. Sales looked to be pretty brisk too, mostly ammunition and tactical rifles. The big pistol vendor was doing a good trade too. I did my part to stimulate the economy. ;)

I'm used to there usually being a good number of people, but this was something else. Go to enough of these, and you also start to recognize faces. Lotsa new folks there today too.

Anybody else notice this as a trend in your area as well?

I can't remember the last show I went to. They seem to always occur on weekends when I have drill for the National Guard or some other commitment.

The monthly gun show in Monroe is usually a crowded venue but it was in a small building. They moved into a larger arena and folks came out of the wood work. I was there and it was pretty much packed. You just shuffle along with the crowd. Most of the stuff there was either black rifle type, knives and weird sticking gizmos, and ammunition. At one time we had a lot of folks selling survival stuff, but that seems to have dropped in attendance in the last few months. I don't know what happened to the guy that would sharpen knives, but a lady was running the booth. I hope he is still around. Looks like the numbers are up for attendance.

A coworker is a gun collector, mostly WWI and WWII firearms. He sometimes rents a table at the local gunshows to buy, sell, and trade. He said the exact opposite was true at the last gunshow here in Marietta (last week). Virtually no one was there, and those who were there were just hanging out and visiting; not much in the way of buying.

Here in AR , the numbers are up on folks going , the down side is so are prices to get in and to buy . Most are dealers or used/ ABUSED marked at more than retail . Even the dealers are marking things up at the shows .

Lots of JUNK , and very few deals to be had , about ready to quit going , to them :unsure:

CB

Haven't been to a gunshow, nor a woodworking show in ages. Used to go, but got tired of having to park in the boonies, wait in line and pay to get in, then fight the hordes to look at overpriced stuff.

Now it may have changed, but I ain't got no money to spend, so it don't make much sense to go.

We have 2 big gunshows here every year.One in April and again in Sept.Our club sets up a booth at the April one so I've attended quite a few as a worker.Seems there's always a crowd.Lots of guns,ammo,reloading stuff and various types of antiques.Also have non FFL dealers come here too that will go to a local store here or somewhere along their show route and buy lots of over the counter guns...mostly rifles...then bring em to the show and mark the price up BIG TIME.Amazes me how many people will buy fom them at $50-$100 over retail just to skip the NICS process.

Amazes me how many people will buy fom them at $50-$100 over retail just to skip the NICS process.

Doesn't amaze me at all.

I've been to poorly attended gun shows over the years. Sometimes it was weather, sometimes lack of advertising, sometimes competing shows or other big events in the area. Hard to say.

Went to a local toy expo today in Medina. This show is usually pretty well atended, but nothing like today. It was like a kicked over ant hill.

Crowded to the point of claustrophobia, and you just sort of drifted along on the tide. Sales looked to be pretty brisk too, mostly ammunition and tactical rifles. The big pistol vendor was doing a good trade too. I did my part to stimulate the economy. ;)

I'm used to there usually being a good number of people, but this was something else. Go to enough of these, and you also start to recognize faces. Lotsa new folks there today too.

Anybody else notice this as a trend in your area as well?

Capt. I've been to the Medina show many times and it's always crowded especially on Sat. Good to hear it was even more crowded then ever. I worked at the gun shop/range today (Sherwins in Eastlake) and we were crowded from 10:00am to close at 5:00. 5 or 6 times we had a waiting list for a shooting stall to open up. It was a madhouse, we only sold 2 guns but the ammo was flying off the shelf and the range was a mess to clean up. It's been getting busier and busier as the weather turns cold. Rye

Capt. I've been to the Medina show many times and it's always crowded especially on Sat. Good to hear it was even more crowded then ever. I worked at the gun shop/range today (Sherwins in Eastlake) and we were crowded from 10:00am to close at 5:00. 5 or 6 times we had a waiting list for a shooting stall to open up. It was a madhouse, we only sold 2 guns but the ammo was flying off the shelf and the range was a mess to clean up. It's been getting busier and busier as the weather turns cold. Rye

I'm just wondering if it isn't a feeling of unease and uncertainty about the future that's affecting some people too.

With things being the way they are right now - bad economies here and abroad; sabre rattling by a nuked-up Iran; statements by the Chinese military brass; Putin and the hard-liners getting back into power in Russia; a federal gov't that defies all traditional sense ... no wonder folks are nervous.

Kind of like a herd that can sniff a predator on the wind.

They sense the threat, but they can't quite identify what it is or where it is but they know it's out there ... lurking and ready to strike.

I'm just wondering if it isn't a feeling of unease and uncertainty about the future that's affecting some people too.

With things being the way they are right now - bad economies here and abroad; sabre rattling by a nuked-up Iran; statements by the Chinese military brass; Putin and the hard-liners getting back into power in Russia; a federal gov't that defies all traditional sense ... no wonder folks are nervous.

Kind of like a herd that can sniff a predator on the wind.

They sense the threat, but they can't quite identify what it is or where it is but they know it's out there ... lurking and ready to strike.

Yep, also on a local level people are scared about being robbed, broken into,car jacked etc. There are so many people at the range/gun shop that are "first timers", they're scared and realize the police can't help until AFTER the fact. Lots of instructors for CCW are bringing students in the learn to shoot. Rye

Firearms and ammunition beat inflation fairly well. Cash and savings lose daily as our government prints money in excess of the value added to our economy. Mega inflation! Buy guns: The Best savings account! :ph34r:

My last gun show was in 2000 at Orange County Fair Grounds, Costa Mesa, CA - good show, kinda miss it....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Howdy Gunner,

That is a great show to attend.

Roy

Howdy Gunner,

That is a great show to attend.

Roy

It used to be a great show.....free parking and $7-8 to get in, 25-30 years ago.

Now it's $5-8 parking and $14-15 to get in, hard to save money buying when your already in for $20. I still go once in a while looking, but you really just go for entertainment value. Dealers are paying $100 per table and pass the cost on to the buyers.

Big Jake

Archived