SASS Wire Forum

RUGER advertises for 'Vaquero' in CC

Widder, SASS #59054

Thanks Sgt. Jake!

If it is true that Ruger isn't producing any more of them it makes me concerned about why. I wonder if there is a problem occurring with this particular gun or is it just a sales issue. Makes me somewhat afraid to buy a set until I find out what the reason is for the manufacturer to discontinue this gun. If there are no problems with the use of the gun then I want to jump on a set of these guns while there are still some available like you found at Gun Broker.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Sgt. Jake!

If it is true that Ruger isn't producing any more of them it makes me concerned about why. I wonder if there is a problem occurring with this particular gun or is it just a sales issue. Makes me somewhat afraid to buy a set until I find out what the reason is for the manufacturer to discontinue this gun. If there are no problems with the use of the gun then I want to jump on a set of these guns while there are still some available like you found at Gun Broker.

IF it's the case of Ruger not selling them anymore it is NOT because of any fault of the gun. There are many of the SASS Vaqueros being used without issue.

Of course, one could call Ruger to find out (surprised more people don't do this :rolleyes: )

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Tall Tale I would call as Gunner Gatlin suggests. That said when it comes to Ruger if I wanted a gun that they make ,made,I would buy it. I own and shoot almost a dozen guns that Ruger no longer manufactures,but that's just me.edit Actually I got to thinking the only Ruger that I have that is still in current production is a 10-22 Adios Sgt. Jake

Main difference between the SASS Vaqureo and standard Vaquero are the grips and the hammer. Maybe they ran out of parts and are not planning to make more of the unique parts. Sure wish they would make more Montado hammers tho and sell em.

I got three Old Model Vaqueros myself. The .44 Mag variety.

I also have two 44 mag vaqueros. So I don't have to confuse anybody by calling them "Original" or "Old" or "Old Model" - the chambering itself is definition enough. But when I do talk about them on the web I generally use the definition "Original Vaquero" just to patronize the pedantics out there.

Even though the whole discussion to me is utter pedantic nonesense:

You can't possibly have "New" without there also being an "Old" - just like there can't be light without dark or up without down. If there is a "New" then there is also an "Old" - period, end of discussion in my book.

RL, put you down in the camp that just can't quite seem to get it. New and old are not and have never been the problem. It's when you stick the word model in that is the problem.

Old Vaquero or original Vaquero is just fine. Why make it wrong by going to the extra time and trouble to type model in the middle? Especially when it makes the description inaccurate and impossible. Makes NO sense to me.

RL, put you down in the camp that just can't quite seem to get it. New and old are not and have never been the problem. It's when you stick the word model in that is the problem.

Old Vaquero or original Vaquero is just fine. Why make it wrong by going to the extra time and trouble to type model in the middle? Especially when it makes the description inaccurate and impossible. Makes NO sense to me.

You made you point. Do you really believe saying it again would change anyone's mind?

You made you point. Do you really believe saying it again would change anyone's mind?

:lol: :lol: ...that LD just keeps on 'doggin' it don't he...:P

G (who's mind ain't changed about my OMV's) G ~ :FlagAm:

RL didn't get it. He stated the contention was over new and old, which it ain't. Just trying to help a pard out. Hopefully he sees the light now. Some of you other pards know better, you just like doggin' my cats.

Huh Gunner?

Wonder how many folks have put you on ignore by now?

RL didn't get it. He stated the contention was over new and old, which it ain't. Just trying to help a pard out. Hopefully he sees the light now. Some of you other pards know better, you just like doggin' my cats.

Huh Gunner?

You make it too easy...

How many have me on ignore? Don't know, don't care. Maybe you should do that yourownself since I seem to irritate you so much.

What I am really wondering myownself is how many pards know I am right and agree with me but are too intimidated and downright AFRAID to chime in. Those few in the past who did got flamed so mightily most diappeared and ain't been back.

Me, I don't care what anyone thinks. I will speak up anytime and everytime I feel like I need to.

No bark off me anyone wants to take umbrage or "ignore" me. Also it really don't hurt me none if people wanta keep on with the OMV business.

So why should those who choose that improper designation get so riled that I decry it?

Methinks they do protest too much. And of course they think I harp on it too much. Har. Loggerheads. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue I reckon.

How many have me on ignore? Don't know, don't care. Maybe you should do that yourownself since I seem to irritate you so much.

What I am really wondering myownself is how many pards know I am right and agree with me but are too intimidated and downright AFRAID to chime in. Those few in the past who did got flamed so mightily most diappeared and ain't been back.

Me, I don't care what anyone thinks. I will speak up anytime and everytime I feel like I need to.

No bark off me anyone wants to take umbrage or "ignore" me. Also it really don't hurt me none if people wanta keep on with the OMV business.

So why should those who choose that improper designation get so riled that I decry it?

Methinks they do protest too much. And of course they think I harp on it too much. Har. Loggerheads. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue I reckon.

You're wrong ;) ...'cause those that put themselves on a stool and have to pound in people's head that they are 'right'...are usually wrong. All ya need to do is say it once...and then it's still a maybe....:lol:

To the question of whether Ruger is still making the SASS Vaqueros, they are. My distributor was out two weeks ago because I was looking for a pair for myself. Last Wednesday, 4 pairs of .45's and 3 of .357's showed up. They are at least one short on the .45's because I bought one pair. Nice guns. Not as nice as my Colts but still................. :)

You're wrong ;) ...'cause those that put themselves on a stool and have to pound in people's head that they are 'right'...are usually wrong. All ya need to do is say it once...and then it's still a maybe....:lol:

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken... :ph34r:

I stay off of stools, get too dizzy! B)

Actually, I agree with LD and in one of my post, I stated the reason I 'think' folks refer to it as 'model' was because Ruger does have some of their pistols designated with the word 'Model' in the name.

BUT, I don't think LD understood my post because he gave me a 'sigh' after quoting it. But thats o.k. It's hard to express thoughts sometimes.

But I will say this: in my original post that started this thread, I NEVER referred to the Vaquero as 'model'.

I was merely asking if the latest Advertisement for 'Vaquero' meant if Ruger was reproducing the original Vaq again or is it still the 'New Vaq' without the word 'New'.

Hope ALL you fellers, whether your Old, New, or even if you are a Male Model, have a Merry Christmas.

..........Widder (Walkin in a Widder Wonderland)

Widder, ye are shure right, it is oft-times hard to communicate just right on these here inner webs. I apologize once again to all the pards here if I ever come off as arrogant or know it all or "up on a stool" as I surely don't mean to.

Merry Christmas to all, OMVers and RVers alike. God bless us everyone and Happy New Year. May all our bangs make clangs in 2012.

Well, I'd just hate to see this highly informative thread die. :wacko::rolleyes:

Old: Opposite of new, which is what Ruger used to call the new, smaller version of the Vaquero.

Model: A particular design or version of a product. (Example: I like your chainsaw! I have a similar one, but it's an older model.) The word model is used to designate another version of the chainsaw, just as the NMV is a newer version of the OMV.

Vaquero: A single-action revolver made by Ruger.

It makes perfect sense to me, and I'm a stickler for correct grammar and punctuation.

If you want to joust at windmills, tell people to stop using apostrophes in plural nouns (it's Vaqueros, not Vaquero's). I'll even help you.

From a real-world perspective, the debate over the names of various single-action revolvers with fixed sites manufactured by Rugers matters to only two sets of people.

1) Pedantic collectors who draw a distinction between the Old Model Blackhawks and the New Model Blackhawks (which have transfer bars), and want to carry that distinction forward into the Vaquero which borrowed the New Model Action. This is a piece of minutia. Just as at one time the "Blackhawk" with three screws and no tranfer bar had no "Old Model" designation, the Vaquero when it was introduced also had no old model designation. Whatever Ruger calls the new, smaller Vaquero, it is perfectly valid to designate the former Vaquero, on the larger frame, as the old model of that weapon. That it uses the "new model" Blackhawk action is immaterial unless you're saying a Vaquero IS a Blackhawk.

2) Handloaders, who don't want to slip hot loads suitable only for the OMV into one of the new ones.

Other than that it is rightly seen as a tempest in a teapot.

Widder, ye are shure right, it is oft-times hard to communicate just right on these here inner webs. I apologize once again to all the pards here if I ever come off as arrogant or know it all or "up on a stool" as I surely don't mean to.

Merry Christmas to all, OMVers and RVers alike. God bless us everyone and Happy New Year. May all our bangs make clangs in 2012.

Widder is usually right - enjoy your stool :lol: and may you, Lone Dog, be blessed as well in this New Year and most importantly - MERRY CHRISTMAS.

G (over and out) G ~ :FlagAm:

Cannot the word "Model" be interchanged with the word "Version"?

LD - how would you phrase a question to someone about the iteration of a Ruger if someone said they had a Vaq?

"Which model (version) is it?"

"I dunno, let me check. Looks like an old model (version), 'cause the grips are bigger"

It's called "conversation".

My dad would be an ally of LD, except my dad is kind of a PITA, what with his AR attitude about precise speech and all. ;).

CR

From a real-world perspective, the debate over the names of various single-action revolvers with fixed sites manufactured by Rugers matters to only two sets of people.

1) Pedantic collectors who draw a distinction between the Old Model Blackhawks and the New Model Blackhawks (which have transfer bars), and want to carry that distinction forward into the Vaquero which borrowed the New Model Action. This is a piece of minutia. Just as at one time the "Blackhawk" with three screws and no tranfer bar had no "Old Model" designation, the Vaquero when it was introduced also had no old model designation. Whatever Ruger calls the new, smaller Vaquero, it is perfectly valid to designate the former Vaquero, on the larger frame, as the old model of that weapon. That it uses the "new model" Blackhawk action is immaterial unless you're saying a Vaquero IS a Blackhawk.

2) Handloaders, who don't want to slip hot loads suitable only for the OMV into one of the new ones.

Other than that it is rightly seen as a tempest in a teapot.

The only reason it matters to me is that I don't know how many times (far too many) I have been reading a thread about an othewise interesting, intelligent and informative subject, only to have the entire thread disrupted and side-tracked by some *&^%$#! who insists on interjecting his opinion because someone used "model" when referring to a Vaquero. It is not only a tempest in a teapot, it is utter nonesense. The result is that, just like with this thread, one has to sift through reams of useless tripe just to find the subject matter of the thread.

Gittin kind a upset and nervous round here, but I'll jump in anyways.

Like and PREFER my OLD MODEL Vaqueros jest FINE and Like and PREFER my OLD MODEL Blackhawks too. That's my preference, my story and I'm stickin too it so the rest of you yahoos can go .............

Merry Christmas Y'all

To the question of whether Ruger is still making the SASS Vaqueros, they are. My distributor was out two weeks ago because I was looking for a pair for myself. Last Wednesday, 4 pairs of .45's and 3 of .357's showed up. They are at least one short on the .45's because I bought one pair. Nice guns. Not as nice as my Colts but still................. :)

Thanks Royal Barnes! That is the best confirming answer since you actually bought a pair from a new shipment. I had been told that they were a special run and that wouldn't happen any more. Now I need to make a decision. Because of things I was hearing but with no real confirmation like you provided, I had talked myself into going with the New Vaquero instead of the SASS version. The main thing I care about that I would be giving up with the New Vaquero is the Montado style hammer that is on the SASS and I have been inquiring about the availability of that hammer as a part or a Blackhawk Montado style hammer as a part. I don't have that answer yet. One other consideration in the decision process is the choice between the 4 5/8 inch barrel on the SASS which would be easier to draw and the longer 5 1/2 inch barrel available as a choice on the New Vaquero of course in .357. The .45 SASS as you know comes with the longer barrel. I wonder how much difference there is in shooting performance primarily accuracy and longer site alignment with the 5 1/2 inch barrel and it probably draws plenty fast enough. Any comments will be appreciated on the hammer and barrel considerations. Also the New Vaquero stainless is the shiny stainless finish and I wonder how much difference that type stainless will make over the SASS version in bright sunlight. I really like both types of stainless finishes and prefer them over a blued barrel as for as personal aesthetic preference.

Thanks to all who have been responding to help me with my request for information!

Haven't waded thru evry page on here but I can give this info. I just bought a brand new pair of Ruger New Vaquero's in .44 Special, bright stainless 4 5/8" bbls.. They are marked Ruger Vaquero on the frame.

Tall Tale, I bought the SASS Vaqueros because of the lowered hammers. Arthritis in my hands makes it increasingly more difficult to reach the hammers on my Colts without pain. I don't have a problem with the longer barrel length because that is what I am used to. I also don't see a lot of difference in the amount of shine versus the standard Vaquero. I will probably bead blast the rear of the sights to give a contrast. Don't know until after I shoot them some.

Thanks Royal Barnes! That is the best confirming answer since you actually bought a pair from a new shipment. I had been told that they were a special run and that wouldn't happen any more. Now I need to make a decision. Because of things I was hearing but with no real confirmation like you provided, I had talked myself into going with the New Vaquero instead of the SASS version. The main thing I care about that I would be giving up with the New Vaquero is the Montado style hammer that is on the SASS and I have been inquiring about the availability of that hammer as a part or a Blackhawk Montado style hammer as a part. I don't have that answer yet. One other consideration in the decision process is the choice between the 4 5/8 inch barrel on the SASS which would be easier to draw and the longer 5 1/2 inch barrel available as a choice on the New Vaquero of course in .357. The .45 SASS as you know comes with the longer barrel. I wonder how much difference there is in shooting performance primarily accuracy and longer site alignment with the 5 1/2 inch barrel and it probably draws plenty fast enough. Any comments will be appreciated on the hammer and barrel considerations. Also the New Vaquero stainless is the shiny stainless finish and I wonder how much difference that type stainless will make over the SASS version in bright sunlight. I really like both types of stainless finishes and prefer them over a blued barrel as for as personal aesthetic preference.

Thanks to all who have been responding to help me with my request for information!

Tall Tale,

I will share my experiences and hopefully answer some of your questions.

First off the SBH/Montado hammers are in short supply if you are sure you want that style of hammer get the SASS Vaqueros. The difference in price is about what you would pay for the hammers if you can find them. If you get them and don't like the lower hammers I am sure could get the taller ones easier than buying the guns with tall hammers and trying to find the lower ones. I have long thumbs and shoot GF and did not think I would like the shorter hammers, after trying them I have learned to engage the hammer with the bend of my thumb rather than the tip and am very pleased with them. I have a set of the SASS vaqueros with Montado hammers and a set of NRVs with SBH hammers and very slightly prefer the SBH hammers. The best way I can describe the difference between the standard and lower hammers is with the standard hammers the cocking motion is back and down, where as, the lower hammers motion is more down and back. Hope that makes sense.

As for barrel length the extra 7/8" of barrel does not affect my draw or sight acquisition or velocity significantly. What it does affect is the balance of the gun. The shorter barrels swing and point better for me. Others would rightly disagree, feel is a very personal thing.

My SASS Vaqueros have the same bright finish as my NRVs, so there is no difference in bright sunlight. I did have a set of guns in matte stainless the sights did not jump out at me like the bright stainless. Most of the ranges I shoot at are set up with the sun at your back so I prefer the bright finish, although the matte finish does give the gun an antique look.

Most of what you are asking about are personal preference things, so ask around and try guns set up like you are considering and go from there.

Hope this helps, (and gets this thread at least half way back on track)

Smoke

Yes, Ruger never made an "Old Model" Vaquero, but if they had, I would have a couple. I am partial to 3-screw Rugers, and do not like the new model action at all. All my Rugers are 3-screw. One of my dreams has been a 3-screw Vaquero...

King's Gun Works many years ago made a couple from Blackhawks,, with the Colt style top-strap and color case, before Ruger ever made the Vaquero.. They were beautiful. They may have been made for Hank Williams Jr., but it was too long ago to recall.

Yes, Ruger never made an "Old Model" Vaquero, but if they had, I would have a couple. I am partial to 3-screw Rugers, and do not like the new model action at all. All my Rugers are 3-screw. One of my dreams has been a 3-screw Vaquero...

King's Gun Works many years ago made a couple from Blackhawks,, with the Colt style top-strap and color case, before Ruger ever made the Vaquero.. They were beautiful. They may have been made for Hank Williams Jr., but it was too long ago to recall.

There are several gunsmiths that make 4 click Vaquero/Blackhawks from new model Vaqueros, Single Sixes and Blackhawks. I know because I have severalthat started out with transfer bars that no longer have them and now have safety notches, half cocks, etc.

Hey Smoke,

I appreciate your comments and now that I have benefited from thinking about them and comments made by Royal Barnes including his distributor getting some in I decided to find a pair of the SASS Vaquero version which I started out wanting and have really wanted all along. I was able to buy a .357 set with action job and placed an order. I am glad that things worked out as I am sure once I get these I am going to be very happy. I really needed the lower hammer with my short thumbs and I just like the whole package with this version.

Tall Tale

• 3 weeks later...
:FlagAm: Just picked up a .44 Spcl NMV in SS 4 5/8th bbl. The frame is stamped "Vaquero" the warning is on the underside of the barrel and it shoots so nice out of the box. Did'nt buy it to compete with, wanted something to carry when out on my horse in the boonies. Them folks a Ruger musta been listening to our requests..... :FlagAm:

I have never seen so much discussion over something that has about as much actual effect on anything as a fart against a tornado.

Thanks for your contribution to this thread :lol:

:P

Archived