SASS Wire Forum

RUGER advertises for 'Vaquero' in CC

Widder, SASS #59054

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your concern - but many of us stick with R.A.H. when it comes to altruism:

Beware of altrusim. It is based on self-deception, the root of all evil.

If tempted by something that feels "altruistic" examine your motives and root out that self-deception. Then, if you still want to do it, wallow in it!

Sometimes the pedantic need to correct others is akin to the kid in school who always raises their hand and says "Teacher, Teacher, you forgot to give us home work".

You're not going to win friends by correcting them in public . . all you're going to do is engender anger . . . It doesn't matter how right you think you are . . .

there are a lot of adults here who just don't need to be corrected by folks, they're quite content to say and think what they want . . This is a cowboy site, and

being told we're wrong all the time gets a mite tiring . . .

SC

+1

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Who said anything about loads outside of SAAMI? It sure wasn't me... Full 45 loads should NOT refer to loads that are outside of SAMMI specs.. That is NOT a full load.. it is a overload. ANY 45 COLT LOAD THAT WILL WORK IN A REAL COLT "P", WILL WORK IN THE NEW VAQUERO. Of course there are Wildcats... and in some cases, fools, who will push things past where they were meant to be... but my statement is correct and true.

Snakebite

To say 'Full Loads' might be mistaken as full 'power' loads up and beyond SAAMI specs safe for Colts and clones alike. So clarification needed to avoid confusion by some readers. Obviously any 45 Colt load that works in a Colt or clone type will work in ANY Vaquero. I wouldn't call people who use wildcat cartridges fools if they use those cartridges in firearms that can handle them. Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore make cartridges that as '+P' that are seriously more stout than a SAAMI spec'd 45 Colt cartridge for guns that are capable of using such an 'animal' .The OMV, or 'original model' Vaquero / 'old model' Vaquero is very capable of using these types of cartridges...the New Vaquero, Colt SAA and clones or the like, are NOT!

Now that Ruger is calling the New Vaquero a Vaquero there might be some confusion in this regard.

So I wasn't necessarily saying you were wrong, but rather just making clear your statement.

Does it come in .45 Long Colt or just .45 Colt?

;):blink::lol:

In this thread -- this may be the single funniest thing I've ever seen posted on the SASS wire in more than a decade of participation. I nearly spilled my coffee.

In this thread -- this may be the single funniest thing I've ever seen posted on the SASS wire in more than a decade of participation. I nearly spilled my coffee.

Obviously you've never read anything about Walter and Leroy, those crazy ducks. :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

Shadowcatcher, your points are well taken. I am not trying to make any friends here. I know what you are saying. This is not the first rodeo on this deal. I feel there are more than just me on my side of the issue. It's just that others are intimidated by the greater odds and long john singe-ing of the other side. Me I don't care if someone wants to call me pedantic. I think I know what it means. Others might chime in to support me but don't want to suffer the slings and arrows.

<SNIP>

But that would be admitting defeat. And I still have some faint hope the OMV dragon can somehow someway someday be slain...

Sam Colt settled that question over 150 years ago by referring to his revolvers he built as pistols. Good enuff for this chile.

Well Partner - you have my sympathy. I understand that there are those who tilt at windmills, and some who embrace the folly,

not just abide by it. Never the less - you are fighting impossible odds. Having been told by folks who don't want to be corrected,

and rationalizing why it is still necessary and appropriate is a selfish approach to the issue.

This is not a safety issue wherein technical information must be precise and accurate, this is a model nomenclature issue, at best.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, but putting your need to do this above others desires to NOT be corrected is not

even a good intention - it's just self serving.

Still, I am curious, but I don't care - I'll call them what ever I think to at the moment, and not hold a grudge when you chime in,

it's all just 100% recycled electrons, no atoms are hurt in the making of these posts . . . . .

Shadow Catcher

As I said - Oh, gawd please help us! How the devil are you going to shove a 45 Colt with a 10-inch barrel into a S&W?

Very carefully? :P

My dad always told me "choose your battles wisely". This war won't be won by the grammar nazis. I think Renault made a huge mistake trying to force the American public to pronounce their name "Re-know" It might be the correct French pronunciation, But it didn't fly in every day USA.

CR

SC, again yer points are well-taken but ye are missing the point. It ain't about me or my affliction (the only affliction I know of that garners absolutely NO sympathy for the poor unfortunate). I guarantee you I am not about being selfish nor self serving. Not a whit, not in the least.

Just being a messenger. People cannot be expected to get it right if all they ever hear is the wrong version. Just like the poor poorly paid girls who answer the phones at Ruger. If all you ever hear all day long talking to cowboy shooters who believe that there actually can be such a thing as an OMV then of course quite naturally you are going to adopt the language you are bombarded by. Don't make it right.

Same sort of folks write the Ruger ad (not "add" dammit) selling hats that are not hats at all but baseball caps. They think men wear "tops". Well they don't, they wear shirts.

Yes the messenger has been shot. Riddled actually. But I refuse to lay down and bleed out. I know I am right on this issue. So I will not throw in the towel and no one can shout me down. I don't need to get a life and I ain't gonna shut up and go away. Lots of folks know there is no such thing as an OMV.

Those who are saying the war is over and OMV will reign henceforth and forever should not be so smug or be counting that chicken before it is well and fully hatched and feathered out.

That egg could have a looooong gestation period and crack open rotten...

One of the definitions of "old" is: "Used for referring to something that has been replaced by a newer thing of the same type." Sure seems to fit the model of the Ruger Vaquero that's been replaced by the "New Vaquero."

Dang CK it ain't the word "old" that is the bone of contention. There are Old Vaqueros and there are New Vaqueros, both of which are New MODEL Rugers. There are NO Old Model Vaqueros.

Old Vaquero is fine, original Vaquero fine. New Model Vaquero is NON descriptive. New Model Vaquero tells you nothing. Of course it's a New Model, it can be nothing else. ALL Vaqueros are New Models. But which VERSION not MODEL. Is it an old Vaq or a new Vaq. Just leave the word "model" out of the description and all the confusion goes away. Easy peazey.

Too easy for far too many it would seem.

Yep, we got Vaquero and New Vaquero. No "MODEL' designation to it.

But I think a good deal of the mis-usage of the word 'MODEL' is created by Ruger themselves.

In looking at one of their supply catalogs for 2011, they advertise grips for: New Model Single Six; New Model Blackhawk; and New Model SuperBlackHawk.

For good or bad, right or wrong, folks just naturally pick up on these terminologies and start using em.

Call it what ye want: OMV, OV, NMV, NV or just Vaquero.

Most of us will know what your talkin about.

Kinda like the old comedian use to say something like: "You can call me Ray, you can call me Johnson. You can even call me Ray Johnson. BUT, you don't have to call me MR. JOHNSON"

..........Widder

Yep, we got Vaquero and New Vaquero. No "MODEL' designation to it.

But I think a good deal of the mis-usage of the word 'MODEL' is created by Ruger themselves.

In looking at one of their supply catalogs for 2011, they advertise grips for: New Model Single Six; New Model Blackhawk; and New Model SuperBlackHawk.

For good or bad, right or wrong, folks just naturally pick up on these terminologies and start using em.

Call it what ye want: OMV, OV, NMV, NV or just Vaquero.

Most of us will know what your talkin about.

Kinda like the old comedian use to say something like: "You can call me Ray, you can call me Johnson. You can even call me Ray Johnson. BUT, you don't have to call me MR. JOHNSON"

..........Widder

Sigh... OK here we go one more time.

Yes there are Old Model Single Sixes. They were made before the changeover to the New Model Single Six in 1973. Yes there were Old Model Blackhawks. They were made before the changeover to the New Model Blackhawk in 1973. See a trend. All the Old Models had screws and did not have a transfer bar. All the New Models had the transfer bar and pins. Savvy? The very first Vaquero was made in the mid 1990s. Over 20 years too late to be an Old Model Ruger. So ALL Vaqueros, original aka RVs and New Vaqueros are New Models.

Why is this so hard for folks to grok? I can only throw up my hands in amazement that it just cannot seem to be comprehended.

There are Old Model Single Sixes. And there are New Model Single Sixes.

There are Old Model Blackhawks. And there are New Model Blackhawks.

There are NO Old Model Vaqueros.

Well up until Ruger just threw a wench in the works,with dropping the New from the New Vaquero. I referred to them as the Vaquero or Original Vaquero and the New Vaquero,simple. Now what the heck are we going to call them,having two plain Vaqueros is going to get even more confusing, when they are not the same frame size.Darn Ruger it's all their fault. Adios Sgt. Jake

Well up until Ruger just threw a wench in the works,with dropping the New from the New Vaquero. I referred to them as the Vaquero or Original Vaquero and the New Vaquero,simple. Now what the heck are we going to call them,having two plain Vaqueros is going to get even more confusing, when they are not the same frame size.Darn Ruger it's all their fault. Adios Sgt. Jake

Well since Ruger made it so hard to decide maybe we as customers can make up our own nomenclature so we know what we are talking about. We can call the big one the old model Vaquero and we can call the little one the new model Vaquero. Notice in the omV and the nmV the old model and new model designations are in lower case just to show one is older than the other and not an actual part of the model name of the particular Vaquero.

LD,

Did ruger actually make a gun called the "old model blackhawk" or "old model single six" or are those non-ruger nomenclatures?

I thought they were called Blackhawk or Single Six.

The new models were called New Blackhawk or New Single Six.

H.

Well since Ruger made it so hard to decide maybe we as customers can make up our own nomenclature so we know what we are talking about. We can call the big one the old model Vaquero and we can call the little one the new model Vaquero. Notice in the omV and the nmV the old model and new model designations are in lower case just to show one is older than the other and not an actual part of the model name of the particular Vaquero.

Not! just sayin'

Big Jake

LD,

Did ruger actually make a gun called the "old model blackhawk" or "old model single six" or are those non-ruger nomenclatures?

I thought they were called Blackhawk or Single Six.

The new models were called New Blackhawk or New Single Six.

H.

Well of course before the advent of the New Models, no one could know that the Old Models would immediately become that.

Irrelevant. RVs came 22 years too late.

As for the conundrum that Ruger is now calling the New Vaquero just Vaquero -- No problemo. It's still just old or original Vaq and New Vaq. If everyone could somehow just please leave out the word model there is no confusion and no big deal. The dogged insistence of inserting the unnecessary and inaccurate word "Model" in the middle of the description is the only problem. A problem easily solved. Just drop the word. It's unneeded and makes the term an impossibility.

Sigh... OK here we go one more time.

Yes there are Old Model Single Sixes. They were made before the changeover to the New Model Single Six in 1973. Yes there were Old Model Blackhawks. They were made before the changeover to the New Model Blackhawk in 1973. See a trend. All the Old Models had screws and did not have a transfer bar. All the New Models had the transfer bar and pins. Savvy? The very first Vaquero was made in the mid 1990s. Over 20 years too late to be an Old Model Ruger. So ALL Vaqueros, original aka RVs and New Vaqueros are New Models.

Why is this so hard for folks to grok? I can only throw up my hands in amazement that it just cannot seem to be comprehended.

There are Old Model Single Sixes. And there are New Model Single Sixes.

There are Old Model Blackhawks. And there are New Model Blackhawks.

There are NO Old Model Vaqueros.

sure there are

SC, again yer points are well-taken but ye are missing the point. It ain't about me or my affliction (the only affliction I know of that garners absolutely NO sympathy for the poor unfortunate). I guarantee you I am not about being selfish nor self serving. Not a whit, not in the least.

Just being a messenger. People cannot be expected to get it right if all they ever hear is the wrong version. Just like the poor poorly paid girls who answer the phones at Ruger. If all you ever hear all day long talking to cowboy shooters who believe that there actually can be such a thing as an OMV then of course quite naturally you are going to adopt the language you are bombarded by. Don't make it right.

Same sort of folks write the Ruger ad (not "add" dammit) selling hats that are not hats at all but baseball caps. They think men wear "tops". Well they don't, they wear shirts.

Yes the messenger has been shot. Riddled actually. But I refuse to lay down and bleed out. I know I am right on this issue. So I will not throw in the towel and no one can shout me down. I don't need to get a life and I ain't gonna shut up and go away. Lots of folks know there is no such thing as an OMV.

Those who are saying the war is over and OMV will reign henceforth and forever should not be so smug or be counting that chicken before it is well and fully hatched and feathered out.

That egg could have a looooong gestation period and crack open rotten...

Lone Dog - I shall always look at you with fondness - you remind me of Don Alonzo Quixana, also known, perhaps more readily, as Don Quixote. I salute you - oh Knight of the Woeful Countenance.

Hail, Knight of the Woeful Countenance,

Knight of the Woeful Countenance!

Wherever you go

People will know

Of the glorious deeds

Of the Knight of the Woeful Countenance!

Farewell and good cheer

Oh my brave cavalier

Ride onward to glorious strife.

I swear when you're gone

I'll remember you well

For all of the rest of my life.

Hail, Knight of the Woeful Countenance,

Knight of the Woeful Countenance

Fare to the foe,

They will quail at the sight

Of the Knight of the Woeful Countenance!

Oh valorous Knight,

Go and fight for the right,

And battle all villains that be,

But oh, when you do,

What will happen to you

Thank God I won't be there to see!

Onward Roxinante . . . .

SC

I send Ruger an e- mail bout every month or so askn them to bring back tha old frame vaquero....... And in 44-40. I tell them they would sell a ton but no dice so far. I will keep doing this till it works ;).......... And I have never heard of anyone havin problems shooting hot loads thru the new 45s.... If you have please key me in on some articles or fact sheets. And I shoot "'OMVs"........... That's what I call em, you don't like it? I don't care.

Load em hot and heavy

Ornery Oaf

I don't care either Oaf. Go ahead on. I well know cowboys are gonna do it their own way if it harelips the governor, bless 'em. We are Muricans by gawd and pass the ammunition.

I own and shoot a half dozen or so RVs and one New Vaquero. But I don't own any OMVs.

I don't care either Oaf. Go ahead on. I well know cowboys are gonna do it their own way if it harelips the governor, bless 'em. We are Muricans by gawd and pass the ammunition.

I own and shoot a half dozen or so RVs and one New Vaquero. But I don't own any OMVs.

I own 3 OMV's

Between my sons and myself, we own 4 Flat tops, 6 three screws, 7 Old Model Adjustable Sight Single Sixes (6 of those in 32 cal), 2 New Model Blackhawks, 1 New Model Vaquero and plus 5 Old Model Vaqueros. It is interesting that of all these guns only 2 Old Model Vaqueros and 1 New Model Vaquero have transfer bars, rest never did or they have been removed. I may have missed some in our safes.

I own five old model Vaqueros. And two Old Model New Vaqueros! They have no transfer bars and they click four times when you cock the hammers! :rolleyes:

KQ

Har! I know ye are jesting but just in case some newbie doan git it.

Nope. All seven left the factory as New Models and New Models they must always be. No matter if all the transfer bars are removed.

ALL Vaqueros are always New Model Rugers no matter what and that's why kids there never has been and can never be any such thing as an Old Model Vaquero. Period. End of story.

When the New Vaquero was introduced Ruger and it's distributors still had Old Vaqueros in stock to sell. The guns were listed on Ruger distributor's websites with a SKU number followed by OMV or NMV. Distributors switched to NMV when Old Vaqueros were gone from stock and have now gone to just Vaquero. Now, I don't know who was responsible for the terms OMV or NMV and don't care but it appears to have started with Ruger or it's distributors.

I own five old model Vaqueros. And two Old Model New Vaqueros! They have no transfer bars and they click four times when you cock the hammers! :rolleyes:

KQ

Yeah, we'll your better than me anyway :lol: Maybe at the match in January you can let me check out those OMV's with that action work :D

Ruger came out with the Ruger Super Blackhhawk .44 mag, and when they created the transfer bar, then the pistol was called the "New Model" Super Blackhawk. This is the first time I remember seeing the new model designation on any of Ruger's offerings. Not sure now, but after all these years the New Model may be just the Super Blackhawk since it's the only one they make. They also have a new model Bearcat too.

What about the New SASS Vaquero? I haven't seen this model mentioned in this thread's discussion. I tried to order a set of these smaller Vaqueros with the SASS logo on the grip and was told that they are no longer available. I had noticed that a lot of dealers on the internet were showing them unavailable or not in stock and now I understand this is not a temporary situation. Has anyone else been told that Ruger has discontinued the New SASS Vaquero?

What about the New SASS Vaquero? I haven't seen this model mentioned in this thread's discussion. I tried to order a set of these smaller Vaqueros with the SASS logo on the grip and was told that they are no longer available. I had noticed that a lot of dealers on the internet were showing them unavailable or not in stock and now I understand this is not a temporary situation. Has anyone else been told that Ruger has discontinued the New SASS Vaquero?

Tall Tale Ruger still shows them http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroSASS/models.html in their line,of course that doesn't make them any easier to find.

Their are 4 pair on Gun Broker currently. I just searched SASS Ruger Vaquero's http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265543244 checked Auction arms and didn't turn up any. Good Luck Sgt. Jake

Archived