SASS Wire Forum

DIY staging strips and cartrodge blocks from old pallets!

Rancho Roy

I decided I needed a few staging strips and cartridge blocks for my new involvement in CAS.

Here's what I came up with:

http://images53.fotki.com/v249/photos/2/36012/10261583/DSC_3902-vi.jpg

http://images9.fotki.com/v248/photos/2/36012/10261583/DSC_3893-vi.jpg

I wrote a little article and placed more pictures on my web site:

www.rvbprecision.com

Any comments are appreciated..........

Looks good Roy, I'll be interested to see how those hold up, I would wonder if the screws will work out or tear thru the leather.

I've seen many folks use strips as you call them, when set on the loading table they raise the primer end of the cases up and make it easy to grab.

Thanks!

I've made many boxes using leather hinges like this. I always supoerglue the screws into the wood with a Gel Super Glue. And some finds its way under the screw head. Never had one pull out.

Time and more experience will tell whether the strip or the block will work out better for me.

Hey Roy:

Nice article.

Good Winter project--make a bunch for use next shooting season.

Thanks!

--Dawg

When I first saw "old pallets" I was expecting something that looked like decrepid barn wood. Those loading blocks look very nice. Not as "rustic" as I imagined. ;) Good job dude.

I've gotten some very nice looking wood from old pallets. The cost of replacing jointer knives can easily outweigh your savings , however. Be very careful to find all the nails.

Back in the day, I worked for a company that was importing machinery from Japan. All the packing crates and pallets were made of the most beautiful Teak you ever saw. I built a whole house load of furniture with it (that my ex wife now has!).

Never had a problem with nails as it was obvious where they were used and pulled out easily.

Archived