SASS Wire Forum

Original Ruger Vaquero

Rance - SASS # 54090

I've got 2 sets of these.. all 357's.. set of stainless and a set of blued..

No problems.. they shoot fine.. lock up fine..never missfire and just never give me a problem..

Season is over around here and I was cleanin' them the other day...

Put them all back together and was cyclin' them..

Noticed with the hammer down in a fired position...

3 of the Rugers (both stainless & one blued) you can pull (move) the trigger back maybe a 1/8th. to 3/16th's of an inch (play) before it engages anything...

One Ruger (the other blued) is solid with hammer down.. no trigger movement (play)

With hammer cocked on all 4 of them.. triggers are tight like they should be..

I ain't real worried about this because they all shoot fine..

Question: Are the 3 with a little movement developing a problem?

or the one with no movement developing a problem?

Or is this is just the way it is (no 2 are alike) and I should find something else to worry about? :mellow:

As stated.. they all shoot fine.. I took the blued ones apart.. all the way down..

I can't seem to find any excessive wear anywhere... or anything distinguishable between the internal parts of one over the other..

Rance <_<

Thinkin' winter is here.. :)

The oldest Blackhawks (such as the flat tops) do not have the forward trigger position with a lot of take up, the trigger remains in the rear most part of the trigger guard with only trigger motion being the movement over the hammer notches as the gun is cocked. Later model Rugers such as the original Vaqueros have the trigger at rest considerably forward in the trigger guard. This requires a fair amount of take up in order to break the shot. To shoot them faster, many shooters keep their finger on the trigger holding it rearward taking up the slack in between shots and while cocking, keeping the trigger from moving forward. This still requires a slight trigger pull depending on springs followed by a slight trigger release slightly forward as the gun is recocked. This is not slip hammering where the shooter keeps the trigger fully back while cocking and the release of the hammer with the thumb fires the gun. In other cases many shooters have had their guns modified so the triggers in the newer Rugers (like Vaqueros) act like the original Blackhawks with the triggers not having the large take up and the hammers at rest are toward the rear of the trigger guard. A slight rearward movement of the trigger fires the gun. Perhaps one of your guns has this mod and the others do not???

I just checked my four 44 mags, 2 blue and 2 stainless. They all have movement. Looks like the one with no movement is the odd man out.

Fillmore

Perhaps one of your guns has this mod and the others do not???

None of my Rugers have had any internal modifications other than a set of Wolf hammer and trigger springs..

The triggers in all of them rest in the forward position.. just 3 of them have a little play with the hammer in the rest position and the one doesn't..

From the replies.. it sounds like it's normal (little play) operation of the Vaquero's...

Kinda like Fillmore Coffins mentioned.. I got one that ain't normal..

Thanks for checkin' yours out Fillmore..

It shoots fine.. but I reckon I ain't gonna worry much about it...

Might take the odd blued apart again.. might not.. being that seems to be the odd man out :wacko:

but.. I wonder what I'd look for to have all of them operate the same :blink:

Rance <_<

Appreciate the replies :)

Rance,

Compare the hammers and the transfer bars. The take up is the transfer bar moving up and contacting the first step on the hammer. There could be some difference in the length of the transfer bars, but I suspect the first step of the hammer is slightly longer on the gun with no slack.

Just for reference the hammers have two steps. The top one contacts the frame when at rest and the transfer bar is down. What I am calling the first step is centered over the firing pin and contacts the transfer bar when the bar is up.

As long as this does not cause any interference it should not affect the function, which you said it does not.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Howdy,

Are the cylinder base pins in the same?

There might be a little difference due to base pin pressure on

the transfer bar etc....

Are the ends of the base pin(yes that little bitty plunger) the same?

Best

CR

Rance

Sounds to me that all the speed you have picked up in the last couple of years has wrecked your Rugers. Send them to me and I will fix them up for you! :lol:

Wishing you and Lacey a Very Merry Christmas!

Marlin & Wapsi

Howdy

In answer to your original question about a different amount of trigger movement with the hammers all the way down; completely normal.

Believe it or not, Ruger transfer bars are not high precision parts. There is often a bit of variation from one to another. They are investment cast parts and unlike frames which are also investment cast parts, transfer bars are installed with no secondary machining. Frames have holes drilled and tapped and the front face of the frame machined flat after they come out of the molds.

With the transfer bars, there can easily be some variation from gun to gun with how they fit. They are a sloppy loose fit. Ever notice that some transfer bars lay flat against the frame while others rest at an angle? That is because the post on the transfer bar is a relatively loose fit in its hole in the trigger. Not a problem, they are designed to function that way, with a loose fit.

As has already been stated, the transfer bar design is different than a Colt type lockwork or a Ruger three screw design. In those guns, all the trigger does is release the hammer, so very little motion is needed. The trigger sits so far forward in a New Model (transfer bar) Ruger because the trigger needs to travel farther to push the transfer bar up into position as the hammer rocks the trigger back into the cocked position. With the hammer down, when you pull the trigger you are also pushing the transfer bar up. How much slop tolerance there is between the hole in the trigger and the post on the transfer bar can affect this, as well as variation in length of the transfer bar. You will also have some variation depending on whether the transfer bar is coming to a stop at the underside of the firing pin, or if it is wedging its way past it. None of the transfer bars in any of my Rugers actually extend to the notch in the hammer, their full travel takes them a bit past the underside of the firing pin. But some butt up against the underside of the pin, limiting their motion a bit.

All in all, variation from gun to gun in the amount of travel of the trigger with the hammer down is normal because of all these factors.

Howdy

<snip>

All in all, variation from gun to gun in the amount of travel of the trigger with the hammer down is normal because of all these factors.

Thanks Driftwood..

that kinda puts my mind at ease...

I'll figure out somethin' else to worry about this winter and leave the Vaquero's alone.. :)

Rance <_<

Merry Christmas to all..

Archived