SASS Wire Forum

Where to get a Schofield?

Hopalong Strong

If I was interested in purchasing a schofield in 45 schofield or 45LC where would you recommend I look? I'm not in the market today but I want to start thinking. Any thoughts about models or makes that are better than others? what is the price range on these puppies?

Bud's Guns in Lexington KY has them from time to time.

www.budsgunshop.com

Never fired one but would sure like to!

-VJ

Guest diablo slim shootist

Best ones were made by Smith and Wesson a few years back(discontinued)Very pricy

had an Uberti once -got rid of it-not a very competitive pistol for SASS .Heck they

don't even work good with Black Powder.But to each his own ;)

Doesn't make any difference where you get it, they all come from the same place. The only game in town for new ones is Uberti. Cimarron, EMF, Taylors, etc. are importers. No difference in product quality as they all come from Uberti.

Yup, they are all produced by Uberti today.

And you ain't going to find one chambered for 45 Schofield. Just 45 Colt, 44-40, and 38 Special. The Schofield Model of 2000 produced by S&W a few years back was chambered for 45 Schofield.

I've got two S&W 2000 Schofields and one Uberti Schofield. I mix and match them from one stage to another, and load only 45 Schofield to keep it simple. I've never tried BP in any of them, but the concensus is that *all* Schofields suck with BP. Also, Schofields are for fun, not competition (yes, I know competition is fun, but no one has come up with a better way to explain the difference). The average Uberti will run around $900, and the S&W 2000s will run anywhere between $1300 and $2000 on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica. There's usually one or two 2000s on the online sites.

I've never tried BP in any of them, but the concensus is that *all* Schofields suck with BP.

Not all. The originals shoot Black Powder just fine. However the shortened gas collars on the current ones make the cylinders tend to bind up quickly when shot with Black Powder.

Me...

Two of 'em. S&W 2000's...

ts

Me too but I can't shoot BP (or subs) in 'em without them binding up after a couple of stages and they are a PITA to take apart and clean out the cylinder pin hole during a match so I use smokeless in them.

I had to send my 7 inch .45LC Uberti Schofield back to Stoeger last month for warranty service. It had developed a timing problem in which the cylinder stop would sometimes not engage in time, and the cylinder was rotating past where it should have locked up.

It's a great looking piece with the ivory polymer eagle grips I put on it, but it's not quite as fast as my other Uberti revolvers or my Rugers.

I've got two S&W 2000 Schofields and one Uberti Schofield. I mix and match them from one stage to another, and load only 45 Schofield to keep it simple. I've never tried BP in any of them, but the concensus is that *all* Schofields suck with BP. Also, Schofields are for fun, not competition (yes, I know competition is fun, but no one has come up with a better way to explain the difference). The average Uberti will run around $900, and the S&W 2000s will run anywhere between $1300 and $2000 on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica. There's usually one or two 2000s on the online sites.

There was a "thread" on the wire a few weeks ago discussing whether anyone had ever won a major match with Schofields (not many if any as I recall). There are two S&W 2000 Schofields up for auction on GunBroker now. One is up to $1250 and the other is up to $1300. There is also an original Schofield Wells Fargo listed for $9995. :o

I have a brand new low serial # S&W 2000 Schofield in the Walnut Display Box for sale..But you would probably die of shock at the price I am asking!

But actually, my price is what they are selling for due to scarcity

Not all. The originals shoot Black Powder just fine. However the shortened gas collars on the current ones make the cylinders tend to bind up quickly when shot with Black Powder.

Driftwood,

Not tryin to steal this thread but was wondering what, if any solution, you would suggest to help with the problem? Is there any modification that can be done to help short of breaking the bank? Been serioully thinking about getting one but I only shoot BP and would really like to hear how you address the situation. I cast my own and make my own lube so I can be fairly fllexible in that regard, not good just flexible. :D Info may also help the pard lookin to buy.

HH

There was a "thread" on the wire a few weeks ago discussing whether anyone had ever won a major match with Schofields (not many if any as I recall). There are two S&W 2000 Schofields up for auction on GunBroker now. One is up to $1250 and the other is up to $1300. There is also an original Schofield Wells Fargo listed for $9995. :o

The S&W 2000's you cited on Gunbroker for $1300 were simply bidding starting points or did not yet meet reserves..they will most certainly not sell, if they do sell at all, for $1300 or anything close

Driftwood,

Not tryin to steal this thread but was wondering what, if any solution, you would suggest to help with the problem? Is there any modification that can be done to help short of breaking the bank? Been serioully thinking about getting one but I only shoot BP and would really like to hear how you address the situation. I cast my own and make my own lube so I can be fairly fllexible in that regard, not good just flexible. :D Info may also help the pard lookin to buy.

HH

Howdy

Yes, there is a solution, but I have no idea how much it will cost. I do not own any modern replica Schofields. However I do own a couple of original S&W Top Break revolvers that shoot very well with Black Powder. It is because of the design of the gas collar on the front of the cylinder. As designed by S&W, the gas collar kept fouling away from the cylinder pin. When Uberti lengthened the cylinder of their version of the Schofield to accommodate the longer 45 Colt cartridge they did not correspondingly lengthen the frame and top strap. They kept the overall length of the revolver basically the same, 'stealing' the space needed for the longer cylinder from the gas collar.

Before he retired, Happy Trails of The Smith Shop was doing a modification to Uberti Schofields that cured this problem. He machined away the vestigal gas collar on the front of the cylinder, then bored the front of the cylinder to accept a new gas collar. The new gas collar he made was considerably longer than the Uberti collar. This meant he also had to relieve the barrel under the barrel/cylinder gap to make room for the longer gas collar. It worked quite well. Hap was also the man who was converting Uberti Schofields so that the hand worked off the hammer, rather than the trigger, but that was a separate convesion.

Here is a link to a page at CAS City where I have taken some photos that should pretty well explain the concept. Read the entire thread, it is a bit lengthy, but there is a lot of good information there. Unfortunately since Hap retired I do not know of anyone doing a similar conversion, but once the concept is understood it should be relatively straight forward for a skilled gunsmith to accomplish. I have included some measurements that should be helpful if anyone wants to attempt this conversion. I have absolutely no idea what it would cost. Perhaps if you call Hap at The Smith Shop he could give you an idea. He no longer does the conversions, but he is still selling parts.

Link

There is also a link on that page to another page where Dick Dastardly discusses the success he has had with Big Lube bullets and his own Black Powder bullet lube formula when shooting Uberti Schofields with Black Powder. Dick's method is also worth reading.

I have a brand new low serial # S&W 2000 Schofield in the Walnut Display Box for sale..But you would probably die of shock at the price I am asking!

But actually, my price is what they are selling for due to scarcity

One of mine is #GWS0013. It was unfired when I bought it for $1700, and it came with all the paperwork, a display case, carrying case, and a personal congradulatory letter from S&W to the original owner (he bought it at auction). It's no longer unfired, but I did get a pair of elephant ivory grips for it. I have no intention of selling it, but I've got it priced at $2500 for insurance.

BTW, Guns America has #s 1 and 2 on sale for I think it's $40,000.

As Curley Mentioned I stumbled onto a Schofield Friday. Although I was not actively trying to buy one right now I found one that was exactly what I wanted at a price I wanted to pay. It is Navy Arms with a 7" barrel is like new condition. One question, are the Navy Arms ones Uberti made too?

Well Damn,

The guy backed out. I am back not actively on the market but still looking again.

You could take a look at this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=264198021

I have an Uberti Schofield (3.5") in .45 Colt and a Beretta Laramie (5") in .45 Colt.

I lucked out on both, bought the 3.5" locally and snagged the 5" off of Gunbroker! The Laramie is a much sweeter shooter than the 3.5".

Keep your eyes open and search for a deal, or, pay full-bull price when you have the money.

With European financial markets all nutty, it will be interesting to see if the Uberti's dry up in the next few years! :o

Best of luck in your search!

~Will Blastem

Well Damn,

The guy backed out. I am back not actively on the market but still looking again.

Just do a "Schofield" search on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica every day or two. Ubertis are a dime a dozen (so to speak), while there's almost always one or two 2000s on the block. I *think* Laramies can also be pretty common. You're not looking for anything rare; even the originals can be found almost every day.

Just do a "Schofield" search on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica every day or two. Ubertis are a dime a dozen (so to speak), while there's almost always one or two 2000s on the block. I *think* Laramies can also be pretty common. You're not looking for anything rare; even the originals can be found almost every day.

I can hope you are right about the Laramies , Beady. I will start checking in hopes a 44 Special shows up. But I ain't gonna hold my breath.

Rex :D

This is all great advice. I did not know about the laramies. that is an excellent tidbit. I have a running search with emails on Schofield on Gunbroker. One will turn up. I am not in any hurry.

Archived