SASS Wire Forum

Rained all day and I was supposed to shoot

Iron Pony

Perfect timing by the weather today. We spent about 6 hours yesterday setting up 6 brand new promatic throwers and electronics for the 5 Stand setup and were supposed to break it in during the regular open trap session today. The guys from promatic were real nice and took us through everything from assembly to running all the wireless goodies, match layouts etc. Only one guy from the club was on the ball enough to bring a shotgun, and a bunch of shells for "testing" purposes. Got the chance to pop a couple of targets and boy is this going to be addictive. Six throwers going high, low, in, out, straight up, rabbit and about everything in between. With flurry capability along with pairs thrown at the same time and what they call report pairs where the second bird gets tossed with the report of the first shot I have a feeling my average score is going to be,hmmm between 0 and 2 :lol:

Am real glad I took the advice of folks and bought the semi instead of the pump because even at the slow settings we have the throwers on now, running the pump would be a challenge. The 1100 loaded with two is going to be a good one, the trap guy who brought his O/U was not a disadvantage either.

Sure hope the weather cooperates this weekend, I've got about a case of shells ready to go.

:D Yup...keep us updated! Shot my first round of trap last Thursday and going to try another round or two tomorrow. Gunstock bought me a BT-99 Micro (for my short self! Less for him to cut off). He has a Blaser F-3 he bought a few years ago and an 1100. Hopefully it will be warmer out tomorrow!

A couple of weeks ago I tried shooting Sporting Clays at a friend's high fence ranch - has his own set-up. Could hit the rabbit, no problem, but some of those crossing high shots were a total miss!

Miss Cubbie

Well as long as it isnt snowing, and absent emergency I plan to shoot at least a couple of rounds this weekend. We arent going to have a rabbit to start but will have stuff they call teals, chandelles etc to keep folks guessing. There are a couple of machine set up now that you have to wait for the bird to get above the tree line before you can see them to shoot. During setup Chuck handed me his O/U and I broke the first bird thrown, then got really lucky and hit two of the other three, all were easy presentations but they still think I'm sandbagging them. The truth will come out on Saturday :)

One of the guys from promatic said he couldnt find anyone else in the area offering it right now so it should be a good draw for the club. He figures getting it started during the winter months will give us the chance to really get used to it before the crowds come out.

Dave, I used to joke my purpose in life was to spread hate and discontentment, if its changed to being a "carrier" for another shooting sport I can deal with that. Think this is going to be a real good addition to cowboy shooting but dont see anyway it will overtake CAS. Just not enough guns.

POny, another thing ya might want to get for the 1100 is a spare bolt handle. Sometimes they just "disappear" while sitting in the gun rack. People have been known to borrow one from a fellow competitor from time to time, knowing this action might give then an edge. Hard to shoot without one.

Found a slug barrel on another forum for 100 if ya are interested.

Grizz, you are just too easy. Not a challenge to get your interest into another game/gun. :lol:

I suspect that this could get addictive right quick. Glad I have my little ole Mec 600 now.

Iron Pony, I would be interested in your take on the O/U shotgun and this venue. I have been looking

at them, but not really ready to pull the trigger on one just yet. They are even more pricy than the

semi autos. Just what I need, another gun in the safe. :blush:

Badger I only fired it as a single bbl but a couple of the other guys loaded and shot two. Not sure of the make/model/brand etc but it looked real nice and the only things I know for sure was it had a single trigger and strong ejectors.

Jacknife if someone is so threatened by my limited ability they need to sabotage my shotgun to beat me well I'm going to feel sorry for them, and keep an eye on my equipment. Sure not a cowboy thing to do by any stretch but it does remind me of the time I popped the cylinders out of Deadhead's rugers and stuck them in his gun cart before the first stage of a match.

They do make the O/Us to look nice and I guess some of the makers are well regarded as to durability, in the clay bird fields. My little Browning BSS kicks fired shells way out there also. Ejectors must have strong springs.

I was looking at the Beretta O/U line, but they are a tad pricy for my limited budget.

I suppose I could shoot the venue with my Browning, but it is bored full/modified in 20 gauge. Don't know how that would work out for the targets in five stand.

Archived