SASS Wire Forum

wife wants a bow flex

Trigger Mike

Bicycle. No impact, low joint stress, great for cardio. I have 2 bad hips, 2 bad knees, and 1 bad ankle (among other things). I can't walk very far. But I can ride my bike for miles and miles.

I'm in the best shape of my life now.

I got bad knees, and have no problem with my eliptical.

Not a bow flex. But works great. That is when I was useing it.

Lost 60 pounds this year with it. But had to quit when I had surgery.

Have not got back on it after. Need to. Gained 15 back in the last few months.

I got bad knees, and have no problem with my eliptical.

Not a bow flex. But works great. That is when I was useing it.

Lost 60 pounds this year with it. But had to quit when I had surgery.

Have not got back on it after. Need to. Gained 15 back in the last few months.

what kind do you have?

Is she wanting a Bowflex weight machine for strength training, or is she wanting an elliptical or something for cardio?

I don't own a Bowflex, but among the machines of their type out there, my understanding is that they are among the better types. No heavy weight stacks, and the bows that provide the resistance last longer than the band type machines.

Figure out what her needs and desires are, then go to a place that specializes in home gym equipment, not one of the mega sporting goods stores. Let them know needs, desires and anticipated price range for help. I did a quick google search and there appear to be several in the Atlanta area.

Eyes are getting worse, I thought you were buying her a Rolex! Maybe that's what she said and you heard Bow Flex?:blush: I'd go with the Rolex, it'll get more use. Besides the cool factor B) .

The best piece of exercise equipment on the market is the one she will USE. (Continuation of Grizz's post ;) )

I'd highly recommend taking her to an exercise equipment store and letting her try a few different machines before sinking any $$$ into one. My personal opinion is that free weights are a much better tool for overall strength training but, I refer you back to my opening sentence.

Hi. I have a bow flex. I use it six days a week. I have had it now for about ten years. Well made. A lot of money but you get what you pay for. Its best feature is that it folds up and stores very nicely out, of the way. I used to fold it and unfold it every day...not that big a deal. I now leave it permanently set up in the barn. A nice strength training machine and I have used them all.

I've been a personal trainer for almost 30 years. In 1985 and 1987 I won or placed in top national and state level shows. My oldest son won the Novice in CO last year. The floor has been there since you could walk, but few of us use it right?

The bowflex is an awesome tool. There is no end to the number of exercises that can be done and done well on it. There is also no end to the number of exercise equipment that has been used only to hang laundry.

THEREFORE!!!!! GOOGLE 'FREE CRAIGSLIST SEARCH ENGINE'.... and you'll have more BARELY USED than you can haul by reindeer and sleigh within 50 miles of you. I bought one for a friend that is now used to hang her laundry for $100 cash. :lol:

Trigger Mike,

In case you didn't know, Play it Again Sports has several locations in our area and carries second-hand exercise equipment. They are probably also a good place to go try out some machines. I agree with Philly Slim, go in and try some stuff out and make sure to get something that will see some use. (though you might get a better deal from Dirty Dan ;-)

A bowflex is a strength training machine, while bicycles, ellipticals, and treadmills are for cardio training. More plentiful than the bowflex types are the traditional weight machines, and there are other kinds that use resistance bands or hydraulic resistance instead. I like the bowflex myself, but because of space limitations in my exercise room I got a weight stack type instead.

There are a lot of considerations in choosing good exercise equipment, and there's not enough space here to cover them all (without getting flamed for a lengthy post at least, or putting people to sleep). Two important items are that the machine has to fit its user - depending on a person's height, weight, and other physical dimensions one brand or type of machine may fit better than another - and it has to enable the user to do an exercise they enjoy. My gal loves to run, while I would rather do strength training, and we each make ourselves do a little of the other. Our elliptical is a little small for me, but a little big for her and the weight machine is the same way. I needed a longer stride than is standard on the treadmill to accommodate my height, and a heavier duty model for my weight than she would've needed for herself alone.

If she wants to do strength training and the machine fits her, the Bowflex really is one of the premier brands and top quality equipment, but as others have noted, the price reflects it. It does require a little more space for the bows to articulate, but if you have the room and the discipline to use it, it will probably last a lifetime.

Hope this helps!

Hi-Yo and all that,

TMM

Got one for my wife onct. Set it up on the back yard deck.

I heard a loud TWANNNG and ran outside. Dang near spilt my beer getting her out of the oak tree.

Them things is dangerous. :angry:

Can't believe nobody said anything about Total Gym, very resonable price and depends on the model you get, if its good enough for Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley, this would be low impact, you use your own body weight for the exercises, I would check out the Total Gym web site and find out more, you more than likely have a local place that sells this, its worth a shot anyway.

I see more people buying all kinds of equipment to get into shape and then it sits around gathering dust after 2 months, and this is the time of year people go crazy for this stuff for Christmas gifts, then sometimes it ends up in local paper or craigslist for sale for a fraction of what they paid for it.

Might want to check out local health clubs in your area, might be worthwhile in the long run, if she/he loses interest then you don't have equipment laying around in your way, its just a thought is all, trying to save you some money, if she/he goes the whole term of the agreement at the health club, then maybe spring for some equipment at home

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. Been down this road with the g/f, she had a treadmill and quit using it, her mom and sister wanted it, she gave it to them, 6 months later she wanted one, I said go back and get the one she gave her mom and sister, she said no, I said they don't use it, I lost, she bought another one top of the line, it now sits in the basement not being used.

THINK HEALTH CLUB

wow yewse guys are a fount of good recommendations

Most people always approach fitness with the rather nebulous "I just want to get in shape", a statement which drives most personal trainers nuts.

And as mentioned, most people give up after a few weeks or months when they don't look like Schwarzenegger or Christie Brinkley. Check the parking lots at the local gyms - the first week of January they'll be packed. By mid-February half the herd will have dropped out, and by March you'll be able to park right at the door.

Machines are OK, but they all have one shortcoming - limited range of motion. They have to compromise to allow for different sizes of people, and you have to conform to them with often uncomfortable results. They all promise amazing results too, and when the magic doesn't happen they end up as laundry racks or just one more thing to dust.

The "ideal" all-around regimen should be a 70/30 split between weight training and cardio. No one machine can provide that.

One other myth is training to failure. That'll just get you hurt.

Train to fatigue instead. Better results and less chance of injury too.

That's another danger of machines - I've seen too many people overload the stack, try for that last rep, and tear a muscle or blow a joint.

About the only piece of equipment that will provide the benefits of both weight training and cardio fitness is the kettlebell.

Let me ask for advice. I have a repaired, but not well, knee. Walking seems to be out of the question as a cardio exercise. Are the elipticals low enough impact that I could get along with one?

Let me ask for advice. I have a repaired, but not well, knee. Walking seems to be out of the question as a cardio exercise. Are the elipticals low enough impact that I could get along with one?

You're a big guy, Noz. Once you get a doctor's clearance then the eliptical is the 2nd best cardio for you. The best would be a swimming pool.

I saw an interview with Jack LaLanne when he was about 90+. The interview was on Dateline or something like it. Anyway, he was asked, 'if you knew then what you know now what would you avoid doing as exercise?" Without a hesitation he said, "Running! Walking is much better, but you can't beat the swimming pool for long term benefits."

You're a big guy, Noz. Once you get a doctor's clearance then the eliptical is the 2nd best cardio for you. The best would be a swimming pool.

I saw an interview with Jack LaLanne when he was about 90+. The interview was on Dateline or something like it. Anyway, he was asked, 'if you knew then what you know now what would you avoid doing as exercise?" Without a hesitation he said, "Running! Walking is much better, but you can't beat the swimming pool for long term benefits."

The repair is a year old and is better than the pre-repair but not by a whole lot. It is inhibiting outdoor activity.

Noz, in addition to swimming or an elliptical, biking is a great way to exercise. I've had both my knees worked on twice each, and pedaling has saved me. Doc told me it keeps the joint lubricated too.

You're a big guy, so you might not find a traditional stationary bike all that comfortable. If that's the case, look into a recumbent stationary bike where your seating position is more like a chair. My 84 year old mother who has an artificial knee uses one.

Recumbent exercise bikes

Good luck

I injured one my knees years ago playing baseball, and it's given me trouble ever since.

I've found that in descending order from most uncomfortable to easiest to use has been:

Bicycles - road and stationary.

Ellipticals.

Steppers.

Based on experience, I think it has to do with the amount of rotary motion required on each machine, and the resultant stresses on the joint.

When I was in cardio rehab, one of the machines I used was a recumbent dual-action stepper with coordinated arm bars. Even with my raggedy knee I was able to use it without any trouble.

Archived