SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero 4-click, no transfer bar, short stroke mods

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

Is there really an advantage?...and if a Rockford Regulator pard has one would ya be willing to let me handle it at a match to see what it 'feels' like...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

No transfer bar means one less part to break (but practically requires the '4-click' with safety notch for safe loading). The short stroke depends on your own physiology. I have had mine short-stroked, but I've lost quite a bit of the range of motion in my right thumb, and suffer from arthritis in my hands. This enabled me to shoot duelist or GF if I choose. Without it, there's no way I could cock a gun one-handed.

Also, with the short-stroke, you may need a heavier hammer spring. The hammer has less distance to fall and needs to get up to speed faster.

Is there a difference in actual shooting speed? Maybe in particular circumstances based on physiology, but not for most shooters.

I shoot duelist only. I made a measurable speed increase with the pistols switching from the original (old) Vaquero hammer to a short-stroke by Wes Fargo. Even with Bisley guns with their lower hammer spur.

You may or may not see a similar increase, based on shooting style, hand strength, and 417 :lol: other factors.

Good luck, GJ

Sign of a desperate man :P

Can't believe you'd stoop so low ...... (if it works, let me know)

CR

hey hey now - haven't done anything yet - just inquiring...not sure about the short stroke as I like the feel of the factory pull, but the four-clicky thing seems neat and one less part to break sounds good too. Would hate to have a malfunction during a big match. Although of the three Ruger Vaquero's I have I only had to replace the t-bar once in two of the guns (they were bought in '94 )...but I am not a 'every' weekend shooter either, but am doing more dry firing for practice...

So this is just an ' information looking' post to see disadvatages and advantages...

I LOVE (yes :wub: ) the feel of my ROA!!

Thanks pard...

I find it much easier to keep my sights on the target (or at least not as far off) while cocking since having Joe Perkins work his magic on my NMV's.

The short-stroke, coupled with a SBH hammer, has allowed me to increase the speed of my misses substantially.

My misses are no fault of the equipment - just new to shooting gunfighter.

Had a couple of NMV's by Wes Fargo exactly like you describe. While great pistolas, not my style. My NMV's by Longhunter are really great...I love um. :wub:

Is there really an advantage?...and if a Rockford Regulator pard has one would ya be willing to let me handle it at a match to see what it 'feels' like...

If I had known that you were intersted - I'd have let you shoot mine at the Cowboy's Match.

The biggest improvement that I've found is that I know longer mis index the chamber.

Coffee

Gunner,

At RSC you have at least a half dozen of us shooting Jimmy Spur guns. Deuce, Mo, Doc, Lightning, Nunica, Kentucky Drifter, Riverview Rattler and myself. I think there may be more but you get my drift. Just step up and ask any one of us. We will let you play with our works of art. ^_^

Ketchum

Thanks pards...will talk more about it with y'all in January. When I saw Crazy Mingo slip his thumb on the hammer in Tin Type Charlie's video and NOT have to rotate all the way around the cylinder and simply re cocking and fire it that got me thinking....

GG

Thanks pards...will talk more about it with y'all in January. When I saw Crazy Mingo slip his thumb on the hammer in Tin Type Charlie's video and NOT have to rotate all the way around the cylinder and simply re cocking and fire it that got me thinking....

GG

That's the main reason I'm having a pair done by Slick McClade now, but I'm hoping the short-stroke will be nice for shooting Double Duelist.

Randy

Bonifide, card totin GAMER

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

That's the main reason I'm having a pair done by Slick McClade now, but I'm hoping the short-stroke will be nice for shooting Double Duelist.

Randy

Bonifide, card totin GAMER

Hey... St. Eagle... when they get 'em done, would ya send me an email on how you like 'em?

Thanks,

ts

Gunner,

Here's my nickels worth of information on SS Pistols.

Ifn your real fast, you probably won't be faster with SS pistols.

Ifn your slow or on the early stages of becoming fast, you probably will notice some speed increase, although it may take you alittle while to get use to the new feel. Especially if you get the SBH hammers installed.

But the biggest positive I think you will notice is less pistol movement during the cocking process.

Thats just my opinion.

When I did speed videos, my pistols WERE NOT short stroked and still had transfer bars.

But in the last year, Lassiter has set up 3 sets of my Vaqueros with SS and removed the transfer bars. He did a fantastic job and for this picky GF, I couldn't have been more pleased.

Good luck on your decision.

..........Widder

Hey... St. Eagle... when they get 'em done, would ya send me an email on how you like 'em?

Thanks,

ts

Stud, shoot me an e-mail rws2700@comcast.net to remind me. I'm looking for them in early Jan.

Merry Christmas

Randy

If they index where the chambers line up properly with the loading gate your reload times will be much better - as if we reload on the clock anymore. Heck we could never keep up with the S&W breaktop bunch, so we all now shoot a 2nd pistol. Back in the day had to run the cylinder around again quite often on my original vaquero - they don't index.

Archived