SASS Wire Forum

104 Gun 1st Rate Ship of the Line to be Restored

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/HmsVictoryToBeRestored.htm

HMS Victory, the world's oldest commissioned warship, is to be returned to her former glory thanks to a ten-year restoration programme.

HMS Victory

The Royal Navy's oldest commissioned vessel, Lord Nelson's flagship HMS Victory, at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard

It will be the most extensive restoration of the 246-year-old warship since she was repaired after the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.

The work will begin this month and be undertaken by BAE Systems Surface Ships at Portsmouth Naval Base under a £16m contract awarded by the MOD.

The restoration of Lord Nelson's flagship will include the ship's masts, rigging and bowsprit, and will involve replacing side planking and decayed timber with hand-fitted teak to maintain the structural integrity and unique profile of the vessel.

$25,000.000.00+ in these hard financial times?

Wow. You would think that they could make a better ship for for the buck with todays warfare.

I mean, what happens if they meet up with the guy that has the gun that shoots

16,000 rounds a second or somesuch, and he has an attitude? :blink:

$25,000.000.00+ in these hard financial times?

Wow. You would think that they could make a better ship for for the buck with todays warfare.

I mean, what happens if they meet up with the guy that has the gun that shoots

16,000 rounds a second or somesuch, and he has an attitude? :blink:

He'll be out of ammo in a second or two. Victory can likely sustain 2 rounds/minute/gun for several hours.

Word to the Brits: "Don't make us dust off the USS Constitution." :lol:

I know, there's probably not a speck of dust on the USS Constitution. I suspect the folks at the USNA keep it pretty clean.

The Constitution is not at USNA and is not manned by Middies.

http://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org/

Good for the British and $25 million (US) doesn't sound too bad given how long it has been since the last overhaul. To put it into perspective:

USS Constitution has had at least 4 significant overhauls between 1906 and 1995.

1906 $100,000 (In today's dollars $2.28 million)

1925 $946,000 (In today's dollars $12.23 million)

1970 Unknown

1995 $12,000,000 (In today's dollars $17.82 million)

Archived