SASS Wire Forum

Good Grief...

Good grief... leave it to the clowns in Washington! :wacko:

Navy, Agriculture Departments to Purchase Biofuels for Fleets

Sixteen bucks a gallon?? Sheesh! :blink:

As a project for his Industrial Techonogy major, Sassparilla Kid has modified his old Mercedes diesel to run on raw WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil, also called UCO, or Used Cooking Oil). He's acheiving 25+ MPG, about 10% less than diesel. The oil is readily available for anything from free to a buck a gallon. And the gub'mint will be paying how much for "biofuel...?" :huh:

Ah well... gotta be "green," I reckon, at any cost. Hmm... wonder what the Army's payin' for the new "green" ammunition... :(

But, I understand that a broccoli model is on the drawing board.

BMC, "natural" gas powered vehicles have been around for a good while now!

Best not advertise what The Kid is doing Hardpan.

The Feds will get after him for using a non-approved or registered fuel, and also for not paying the fuel tax.

They went after a guy in Washington State for doing that and fined him around %5,000.

Get the impression that nobody in the government is on the same page?

Yeah, Cap'n, I heard 'bout that. His only potential salvation will be that it's at least a sanctioned project at the college... in fact, he received a grant for it. By the way... it still runs on diesel - has a dual system with tanks for both, controlled from the cockpit. :mellow:

But my point was... leave it to the government to figure out how to make something cost well over ten times what a civilian kid can do it for... :(

Archived