SASS Wire Forum

Screwdrivers

Howdy Cowboys and Cowgirls:

I have to buy a new set of screwdrivers for my guns. I just wondered if any of you would give me some recommendations. No heavy duty gunsmithing, just tighten a screw now and then, install new grips, and so on. Gun dealer recommended screwdrivers manufactured/sold by Wheeler but they didn't get such good reviews. Anyone have a favorite brand? Thanks for any suggestions that you have.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Adios,

Frazee

I have a set of the old Chapman type in my shooting bag but at the bench I must have about 30 or 40 of these

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6739/Product/GRACE-SCREWDRIVER-SET

that I have picked up as gifts or bought at car boot (trunk) sales at the gun club over the years and I tend to grab one close to the right side and dress to a perfect parallel fit for the screw in question with a safe edge warding file.

Some of the small ones have been dressed back and reshaped many times and they are good quality with comfortable handles yet cheap enough that filling to a perfect fit for each job is fine and with some of my antiques the slots are almost paper thin and and fit has to be perfect to avoid damage.

take a look at the next shoot at the screw at the end of the mag tube on the lever guns as you walk by folks carts and you will see a few that folks tried to undo with a driver that did not fit.

Yikes they are almost $6 each now glad I bought em cheap;)

I also have the big Wheeler set some midway that I was given about 5 years ago, but the things I use from it are the oddball special tools....

for a flat blade driver I tend to grab a Grace from the bench rack and file it to fit.

Archived