SASS Wire Forum

Marine Shaving

Subdeacon Joe

How do we know that this is a Marine?

By the water table?

He could be a GI from Headquarters Company?

:lol: Because a soldier would say "gee, I haven't bathed in weeks, haven't eaten since day before yesterday, I'm knee deep in disease-ridden stagnant water filled with mosquitoes, and people are shooting at me. Think I'll shave tomorrow." :lol:

How do we know that this is a Marine?

By the water table?

He could be a GI from Headquarters Company?

Don't be silly.

HHC would never set up in an area like that.They'd find dry ground if even they had to leave the theater. :lol:

I found the photo on this page: http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/TheBattleforOkinawa.Invad.html

Where he got it, I have no idea.

Conclusion.

Okinawa was the scene of death on a huge scale, in another 2 months the war was over, in hindsight was the campaign really necessary? The immense loss of life on both sides seems hardly justified.

Pretty stupid conclusion if you ask me. :unsure:

Yeah, cuz "everybody" knew we had nuclear bombs, we intended to drop them on Japan, AND that they'd actually surrender.......right? :wacko:

Chick

Almost correct, Chick, but not quite. As I recall, when they dropped it (them), nobody even knew what it was.

I remember my Dad discussing it with folks and every body was asking "What the heck is an Atomic Bomb?"

Given the numbers of casualties in an invasion, I can't fault ole Harry for making the call.

Almost correct, Chick, but not quite. As I recall, when they dropped it (them), nobody even knew what it was.

I remember my Dad discussing it with folks and every body was asking "What the heck is an Atomic Bomb?"

Given the numbers of casualties in an invasion, I can't fault ole Harry for making the call.

Sorry, BMC, but you missed my sarcastic reply by just a bit.

UB posted a comment from the website (I believe) which stated: "Conclusion.

Okinawa was the scene of death on a huge scale, in another 2 months the war was over, in hindsight was the campaign really necessary? The immense loss of life on both sides seems hardly justified."

UB then added, that the conclusion was "pretty stupid."

I was merely adding a sarcastic comment in agreement with UB. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I think Harry made the right call, given the situation at the time. Another million casualties to insure the capitulation of the Japanese government? Nope, drop the bomb.

Chick

Sorry, BMC, but you missed my sarcastic reply by just a bit.

UB posted a comment from the website (I believe) which stated: "Conclusion.

Okinawa was the scene of death on a huge scale, in another 2 months the war was over, in hindsight was the campaign really necessary? The immense loss of life on both sides seems hardly justified."

UB then added, that the conclusion was "pretty stupid."

I was merely adding a sarcastic comment in agreement with UB. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I think Harry made the right call, given the situation at the time. Another million casualties to insure the capitulation of the Japanese government? Nope, drop the bomb.

Chick

I could see your tongue in your cheek from way up here. ;)

I could see your tongue in your cheek from way up here. ;)

Thanks. ;)

In the "infamous" words of Ron White.....

"That's just like you Ron....I have an emergency....and you're being sarcastic."

"Ok, I'm sorry honey......put the dog on the phone....I'll talk to him." :lol::lol::lol:

Chick

Well, in hindsight, given what we know about how things have worked out, the whole danged thing, from Japans invasion of China, to VJ Day "The immense loss of life on both sides seems hardly justified." Better if it had never started in the first place.

But, if there were to be an invasion of the Home Islands by the Allies, then the Okinawa campaign was necessary. Fortunately, the decision by Harry S to drop those two bombs (on valid military targets) made the invasion, and the resulting millions of deaths, unnecessary.

If the bombs had not been dropped I would have probably grown up without a father. He was an infantry platoon leader scheduled for one of the first waves on the Japanese beach.

If the bombs had not been dropped I would have probably grown up without a father. He was an infantry platoon leader scheduled for one of the first waves on the Japanese beach.

Exactly. My brothers and I would likely not have been born. Scheduled to hit Kushikino as part of Operation Olympic. No great wonder that my dad was a die hard fan of Harry S Truman.

Until the bombs were dropped, nobody was sure that they would work as planned or just make a big splat when they hit. They also were not sure that the Japanese people would surrender after they dropped the bombs. If the Emperor has stated that they would fight until the entire race was destroyed, they would have.

We should also remember that after the bombs were dropped and Emperor decided to surrender that a coup was attempted to prevent that surrender. There was at least a small cadre willing so see Japan destroyed in nuclear fire vice surrender.

Truman called this one right (even if he didn't call them all right).

SQQ

The conclusion was written by some idiot who has little concept of the war in the Pacific (or any other wars) and likely not one second military experience whatsoever.

Things like that make me question the accuracy every other word written above it

The conclusion was written by some idiot who has little concept of the war in the Pacific (or any other wars) and likely not one second military experience whatsoever.

Things like that make me question the accuracy every other word written above it

Actually, the story goes along with what I saw and was told while I was there.

I was not yet born and my dad was in training for I think it was called Operation Olympic; after hitting the Omaha Beach with the big red one and spending most of the time between then and VE day In Pilson as a forward observer I think my chances for existence would be rather slim if Harry had not used the A-Bomb the projections for causalities for the home islands invasion I have read are truly frighting.

Archived