SASS Wire Forum

Great Christmas present came in the mail.

I got a great Christmas present in the mail. My grandfather passed away two years ago. He was a WW II veteran of the Japanese occupation of the Philippines. He was a guerilla fighting side by side with the US Army. He was later captured by the Japanese and was a POW. When he passed away two years ago he received a US Army military salute but did not get a Philippine Army military salute. My project was to get him a posthumous Philippine Army military salute to complete his legacy.

I received a package this Saturday and in the package it contained a letter from the Philippine Army thanking him for his service, three medals and a ceremonial Philippine flag. I am so proud of my grandfather. He and his three brothers (one of them his twin) fought in WW II against the Japanese.

I got a great Christmas present in the mail. My grandfather passed away two years ago. He was a WW II veteran of the Japanese occupation of the Philippines. He was a guerilla fighting side by side with the US Army. He was later captured by the Japanese and was a POW. When he passed away two years ago he received a US Army military salute but did not get a Philippine Army military salute. My project was to get him a posthumous Philippine Army military salute to complete his legacy.

I received a package this Saturday and in the package it contained a letter from the Philippine Army thanking him for his service, three medals and a ceremonial Philippine flag. I am so proud of my grandfather. He and his three brothers (one of them his twin) fought in WW II against the Japanese.

:FlagAm::FlagAm:

I was posted at Cubie Point, Phillippines back in the early 70's'

Now a got a few tats, and when the old ones saw that a US Service member had tats, they called him "Joe."

Called me "Joe" as well.

It did and still does send cold shevers of pride up my spine, knowing I was counted among the greatest generartion. :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

That is GREAT !

Your Granddad deserves a SALOOT !!

I Pray he rests in peace !

A childhood friend's dad was in the hills with the Philipino Troops during the Japanese Occupation. He was a very mild mannered man and extremely grateful to them and kept in touch with the families until he died...

Archived