SASS Wire Forum

Guns you inherit

Doc Windshadow

My Winchester Model 12 is slicker than deer guts on a doorknob ;)

When I inherited it in the 1960s I did not even know it was a black diamond grade it was just a vent rib trap gun that had been my grand Dad's with yes very nice wood but at that age I did not really think about it

It had a fat wad of dirty old fashioned (even in the 60s when I got it) athletic tape that had turned to concrete wrapped about the wrist to form a slight pistol grip effect on the straight stock( I thought that it might have even had a cracked stock before I took it off).

I like a straight stock on my shotguns and so took a very long time carefully removing the tape to find a bit of whittled pine in the midst of it to give body to faux pistol grip... I ordered a fine line checkering tool and also used dental tools to help pick upon the last bits of tape glue form the fine checkering of the wrist and the Black diamond was revealed.

I used some boiled linseed oil to touch the finish in that area and headed for the trap range to use up the case of 1950 vintage paper hull federal trap loads that had come with the gun.

These were slightly swollen and required firmness to chamber and they were the only shotgun shells I ever fired it this gun where you could not do that bolt release trick on the last shot of your station before you move to the next station where you point the gun up and hit the release and the bolt falls open on its own, dumping the last empty case of the string.

I do not think that I have ever had a short stroking jam with it and I have put thousands and thousands of rounds through it and only thing I ever hat to replace was the front ivory bead which vanished at state championship in about 1970.

I also shoot sporting clays with it though the full choke is a bit tight for the close in rabbits I find spreader loads help on them... when I forget and use the normal #8s and do connect all I get is black dust. It is not my favorite shotgun... that prize goes to My Mom's field grade Winchester Model 21 straight stock splinter fore end and bored Skeet 1 and skeet 2... you just need to think I want to hit that bird and the gun seems to do the rest.... THe wonderful thing about guns you inherit is that you think about the folks they belonged to and the wonderful times you had shooting with those folk every time you take them out of the safe.... Most of my pistols and rifles were My Dad's and his Dad's and the shotguns were Mom's and her Dad's and it keeps their memory fresh.

I sure wish I could use the model 12 in Wild Bunch.... and I guess I could look up how to disable the ejectors on the Model 21 and use in as MY SASS scattergun .... I expect it would be the only Model 21 at the shoot that is for sure....

I've got only one gun that I have inherited...a well worn Winchester Model 12 shotgun from my grandfather. Is there some way I can find out when it was made? The serial number is 723###.

Two I use great-uncle's 97 and great-grandpa's 84 Trapdoor. :)

I've got only one gun that I have inherited...a well worn Winchester Model 12 shotgun from my grandfather. Is there some way I can find out when it was made? The serial number is 723###.

Kajun, you should be able to google Winchester serial numbers and find a link from there.

I have my Grandad's Pigeon Grade M12, which is in really good condition. Don't shoot it, just admire it. I also have my father-inlaws M12. It was reworked by Herters in the 50's or 60's with a exabition grade walnut stock, checkered & vent rib. A beautiful job, but it has a right handed rollover cheekpiece....and I shoot lefty :o My son has his Browning Superposed 12 & 20 ga O/U's that are like new. I also have several other handguns and longguns from from my Dad. All are family and will never be sold as long as I am living and I hope after that too! ;)

I looked it up in my book and it looks like it was made in 1935 or 1936. The last 3 numbers is the cut off point and it could be one year or the other. 723448 is the last of 1935 year of production. Check you number, lower is 1935, higher is 1936.

Big Jake

I've got my granddad's '94 .30-30. We always thought it was a really old gun, till I looked it up, made in '53 if I remember right. Heck I'm older than that! :D

I've also got a 16 gauge SXS my uncle brought home from France at the end of WW2, I use it in CAS. Locks up like a bank vault. I also have his Colt Woodsman, he bought it when he got home from France. The box says $49.00. He never learned to drive and would often walk through the woods to where he worked. He'd take the one of the guns with him and on the way home do his grocery shopping with them. I'd like to have a nickel for every deer, squirrel and rabbit killed with those two guns.

I looked it up in my book and it looks like it was made in 1935 or 1936. The last 3 numbers is the cut off point and it could be one year or the other. 723448 is the last of 1935 year of production. Check you number, lower is 1935, higher is 1936.

Big Jake

Thanks...it's 1936. That's a good thing to know. I have not shot it yet..just admired it. I need to have it checked out by my local gunsmith....think I'll do that this month.

Good thread by the way!

I inherited a single shot 12 gauge break top that my Grandpa purchased in a coal mining camp general store around 1915 in Aflex Kentucky. The stock had 4 notches in it for each of the scabs that were shot with it in a union picket line ;)

BSD

I just love old firearms. They have a character about them that isn't there with a brand new shiny toy......

My latest is a Winchester Model 1897 made in 1912.... There's just something about shooting something almost a hundred years old..... Especially when I shoot Trap with it better than any other shotgun in my safe.....

I inherited a single shot 12 gauge break top that my Grandpa purchased in a coal mining camp general store around 1915 in Aflex Kentucky. The stock had 4 notches in it for each of the scabs that were shot with it in a union picket line ;)

BSD

That Shotgun would be a "REDNECK" gun. Rednecks were Red bandanas worn by Union Coal Miners to tell the difference when the shooting started. Blair Mountain, Logan County, West Virginia Aug-Sept 1921. 4 days long battle of 10,000-15,000 miners against Local Police and Strikebreakers. Nice history on that Shotgun.

Big Jake

I have my Grandfather's 1943 M1911a1 made by Remington Rand. It is in great condition, but I'm still trying to get it working. When I pull the trigger the hammer intermittently falls to the half cock. I've replaced the springs, now that leaves the Sear and hammer. I'm getting factory replacements in soon. So I hope that'll fix it.

Well, my story is just backwards. Isn't it always. I inherited a single shot .22 model 4 Remington rifle from

Grandpa at the age of about 11. My Dad would take me down to the river to target practice with it. I got pretty good, but the gun was worn and we, Dad and myself, decided to retire it. He bought me a 16 gauge Winchester model 37 shotgun for Christmas that year and I used it to rabbit hunt. When I left home to attend school, the gun stayed behind. Dad didn't hunt or shoot so it was just there in the closet. Grandpa and my Great Uncle decided to take it to a shooting match. I guess that gun brought home more meat than any other in my stable. Mostly half of a hog or a side of beef. Those two boys were bad news with a shot gun. :lol:

Anyway, my Great Uncle wanted to buy the gun from Dad but he would not sell it. Told them they could use it when ever they wanted but he would not sell my gun. So when they passed on, I gave it to my Grandson. I figured it was a pretty good gift and had a nice history. He still has it, it is tight as a drum. I guess the only set back is that it is a single shot 16 gauge.

I still have the .22 but he will get it also.

Guns I've inherited so far:

1. Granddad's Colt Pre-Woodsman

2. Uncle Jim's 1915 Stevens Favorite .22 single shot rifle

3. My stepmom's brother's 1944 Walther P38 with original softside brown leather holster, 2 mags and 24 rounds of 1943 Wermacht issued ammo that he brought back from Italy when WWII ended. Inside the spare mag well I found a tightly crumpled piece of classified ad from the German newspaper Die Grune Post dated 2 April 1944.

4. Uncle Ben's M1903A3 rifle that he brought back from the Coast Guard, disassembled and stashed in his sea bag after WWII ended. He was a gunner's mate 1st class and had access to the arms lockers on the 2 ships he served on, USS Samuel Chase (APA 26) and USS Admiral H. T. Mayo (AP 125). He had started sporterizing the stock but never finished the job. I have a milsurp stock and hardware to replace what's missing, and will soon return it to it's proper military configuration.

Guns that were passed down to me.

1. Smith & Wesson K 22 Masterpiece 1953 mfg (pre mod 17) My Uncle bought this gun new and used it until he passed away in 1964. Another Uncle used it until 1977. My Aunt gave it to me 1979 and it is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. It's going to my Son.

2. Wards Western Field .22 rifle. 7 shot clip, bolt action. My Dad bought this rifle new for $19 in 1936. I learned to shoot at 7 years old. Many a Squirrel has met his demise by this rifle in the 50's 60's 70's by me. It's also going to my Son.

3. Winchester model 1903 .22 Win Auto. 1906 mfg. My Grandfather was 11 years old and wanted a .22 rifle. He had a red wagon and would buy 5 cent bottles of Coca Cola and put them in crushed ice. Then he wheeled them to the Sawmill everyday at lunch time, and sell them for 6 cents a bottle. It took him a year to save $12. His Dad drove him from Rexburg Idaho to Ogdon Utah, John M Browning Bros Gunshop to buy the rifle. He met J.M.Browning and paid him for the rifle. He was 12 years old, and Mr. Browning gave him a canvas and leather gun bag to carry it in. The rifle breaks down into 2 pieces, slips into the bag. It also hag a snap flap for a cleaning rod sections and patches. Leather carrying handle. Ammo is kinda expensive, $12-$15 a box, I bought 2 bricks. If I use it sparingly, it might last the rest of my life.

The rifle has a distinct ring to it when you shoot it. It's the receiver like a tuning fork. When I put my cheek on it.....I think that's the same place my Grandfather put his so many years ago. He lived to be 96 years old. My Grandmother (his Wife)lived to be 102 years old. They were born in 1894 and 1895.

Big Jake

That Shotgun would be a "REDNECK" gun. Rednecks were Red bandanas worn by Union Coal Miners to tell the difference when the shooting started. Blair Mountain, Logan County, West Virginia Aug-Sept 1921. 4 days long battle of 10,000-15,000 miners against Local Police and Strikebreakers. Nice history on that Shotgun.

Big Jake

The term "Redneck" goes back much further, though. At least as far as the 1600's in Scotland, where Scots who wished to remain Presbyterian signed covenants to that effect, sometimes in their own blood. The "Covenanters" would wear red around their neck as a sign of their faith. There were some Presbyterian clergy who wore red clerical collars up into the 20th Century.

I have sold a few firearms in my lifetime but those that were inherited, plus one that I bought from a dear friend's widow (I refused to take it for free) will be mine until I die and then my kids will decide to either keep them or sell them. I know that my son will keep those that once belonged to me and his Grampaw, he told me so.... Tradition and memories are what makes inherited firearms special

Archived