SASS Wire Forum

Most Realistic Western Attire In a Film ...And Not.

Ben Bitten

I was watching The Outlaw Josey Wales a couple of nights ago and I got to ponderin'... What's some of the most realistic western attire seen in film? And What's not?

Off the top of my head I'd say:

Open Range

Wyatt Earp

3:10 to Yuma

Deadwood

As far as Not:

The Magnificent Seven. As much as I love the film, I've always had a bit of a problem with the attire - especially Vin... he look's like a contemporary cowboy. Especially with his faded Levi's.

I could add more to my lists but it's late and my brain ain't workin' right.

I was watching The Outlaw Josey Wales a couple of nights ago and I got to ponderin'... What's some of the most realistic western attire seen in film? And What's not?

Off the top of my head I'd say:

Open Range

Wyatt Earp

3:10 to Yuma

Deadwood

As far as Not:

The Magnificent Seven. As much as I love the film, I've always had a bit of a problem with the attire - especially Vin... he look's like a contemporary cowboy. Especially with his faded Levi's.

I could add more to my lists but it's late and my brain ain't workin' right.

Tombstone.. but Deadwood I liked their costumes the best. I have a photo of a painting some place of Pauline (ancestor) with her gown and hat really bright, its so pretty. But they did seem to wear dark colors a lot.. I suppose it didn't show the dirt so much.

The Jeff Bridges version of True Grit.

The clothing was all museum grade replicas, and the designer really did her homework.

Article => http://www.emanuellevy.com/comment/true-grit-19th-century-costumes-9/

And a good little featurette =>

And as far as Not Realistic:

Any Roy, Gene, or TV western episode. ;)

I liked the way Noah Beery Jr. looked as Buster in "Red River"...a classic cowboy for sure.

For non-historical, mebbe Kid Shelleen's brother with the iron nose in "Cat Ballou", or Shelleen himself all dressed up?

Like Dejas Vous says: Tombstone and Deadwood have my vote...

include Lonesome Dove too ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

+ 1 ;)

Good:

Most of the made-for-TV weseterns since 1985, especiallyy the Turner stuff: Conagher, Sabine River, Open Range, Lonesome Dove, Monte Walsh

Several Duke Wayne movies: The Big Trail, the Searchers, The Shootist.

Less-than-good:

TV westerns up to How the West was Won (1970's) (The worst was Wild, Wild West)

B-Westerns of the 1930 to 1960.

The most authentic civil war movie (clothing, weapons, activities, dialog, etc) I've ever seen is "Ride With the Devil"! Agree with Utah Bob! Most likely this is how it really was. As for non-CW westerns, if I watch a western and don't notice modern costuming I'm happy. The first version of "True Grit" was a John Wayne movie so I didn't expect authenticity. John Wayne dressed like John Wayne and that's fine. The second version was an adaptation of the book and was very auithentic in costuming (with the exception of Rooster's hat) and i loved it

The O'Meara Himself

Lee Marvin in just about anything but especially in Liberty Valance. Lee must of demanded extra in his wardrobe cause he looked authentic right down to the fancy quirt. Now thats something you don't often see in movies despite the fact that dang near every cowboy/horseman/mounted indian warrior had one.

Archived