SASS Wire Forum

Heros

The Original Lumpy Gritz

LG, Thanks much for posting.

Especially appreciated watching the footage of ground crews working on B-29s. As this is what my Dad did, working on the engines, at Northwest Field, Guam. Also interesting to see the living conditions they had.

Thanks again.

It's a bit long but great history.

I understand what you say about the family connection. My Mother :wub: was a WASP and flew just about everydangthing there was to fly during the war. Most of her time was in P-51's and P-38's but she did "right-seat" a few 24's,25's,17's and 29's and more that I don't recall now. I'll have to get Mom's log books out again and check.

Respectfully,

LG

LG, Suppose we're getting a bit OT here, but that's a great bit of history about your Mother. Most people failed to realize the role of the WASP corp and the amount of flight time those ladies put in. Kept alot more combat pilots on missions and not ferrying aircraft around.

WASP's didn't get any vet. "bennies" till LBJ signed the order.

Yeah, Mom :wub: was a one-of-a-kind for sure. All 4'10", and 95lbs of her. :lol:

It took 3 different types of cancer to kill her(1995). She was that "tuff".

Respectfully,

LG

LG, Suppose we're getting a bit OT here, but that's a great bit of history about your Mother. Most people failed to realize the role of the WASP corp and the amount of flight time those ladies put in. Kept alot more combat pilots on missions and not ferrying aircraft around.

Plus, at least Grumman, and possibly more mfr's used lady pilots to do the first-flight checkouts.One of Grumman's lady pilots checked out the new Hellcat her test pilot hubby was going to test before he could fly it!

From what I have been told buy other WASP's, it was that just about all the makers used the girls for "first flight".

My Mom shows many "first flights" in her log book(s)

One "first flight" P-51 my Mom was flying caught fire on her take off roll. She barely got it stopped and got out before the plane burned. Mom was not hurt.

Mom told me about a week later, she watched(Mom was in the air)one of her best friends die in a crash when that lady's '51 went into Santa Monica Bay.

This was not Mom's last close call. She had to "belly-land" a P-38 in a growing cornfield when she lost both engines and the landing gear would not lower. She hurt her back in the deal. She never told anyone about her back. But it did gave her "fits" till the end.

When I was in high school, I would go flying with Mom as often as I could. IF there was anyone that was "born-to-fly". She was it :excl:

Respectfully,

LG

What a story for the other kids at school!

"Nah, Ma can't chaperone the field trip, it's too far on the bus. She can't sit in one place too long, she messed up her back when her P-38 crashed."

Say it matter-of-fact, like everyboby else's Ma flew in the war! :lol:

Archived