SASS Wire Forum

Anybody here good with microeconomics?

Dorado

Hey I know this is strange but I'm desperate. Is anybody here good with microeconomics? I'm trying to finish a homework assignment and I'm stumped beyond measure and my prof. won't help. And y'all seem like knowledgeable people.

Dorado,

Sorry I can't be much help on your homework assignment... though I am getting more experience with microeconomics.... under the current administration the state ofaffairs have continually caused my economics to get much more MICRO!!!!

Well it was worth a shot. My girl's father was an economics major in college and he could figure out what was going on with this either. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Microeconomics: a little money is good.

Macroeconomics: more money is better.

Glad to help.

Well now, that 'bout sums it up! :rolleyes:

Dorado,

What's the question/assignment?

Whiskey if you can help, I need you. Here's the problem:

Assume a firm faces the following Short run Total Cost and Short run Marginal cost function. STC=0.02q2-4q+800

a ) Assuming the firm is a price taker, what quantity will the firm produce in order to maximize its profits if the market price for its product is 4?

B ) What is the firm’s profit or loss at this quantity?

c ) If the entire market produces 10,000 units how many companies are there in the short run?

d) What is the market price and the total number of firms in the long run?

I've been working on this one for about a day. Literally :wacko:

Dorado,

That is wicked! It's been awhile since I had something like that, and I may be wrong so fact check.

Start by plugging in different values into the equation STC=0.02q2-4q+800 till you get the smallest possible positive value (STC).

The q value is the quantity the firm will produce to maximize profits.

Subtract the STC from your market price of 4. That will be the profit.

Divide the 10,000 units by the q value. This will give you the number of firms in the short term market.

As far as long term, that's where it gets more complicated, since everything is a variable. Need more info for that one.

Hope this helps.

I took several economics classes about eight years ago:

800 seems to be the start-up fixed cost. In the longrun it has no bearing since it only has to be paid once.

Recalculate STC = 0.02Q2 -.4Q

Dorado,

That is wicked! It's been awhile since I had something like that, and I may be wrong so fact check.

Start by plugging in different values into the equation STC=0.02q2-4q+800 till you get the smallest possible positive value (STC).

Divide the 10,000 units by the q value. This will give you the number of firms in the short term market.

As far as long term, that's where it gets more complicated, since everything is a variable. Need more info for that one.

Hope this helps.

Shucks!

I new that!

What did she say?

:blink:

Dorado,

Hope this helps.

Thanks Whiskey, I think I may have it. You know what's so funny about this one, it's the easy one. :wacko:

Isn''t that straightforward calculus, take the derivative and solve, and voila q=100 or something like that?

The derivative gets you around -80. still better than the imaginary numbers I was getting before. lol

One of the best teachers I ever had was a Macroecon college professor. This guy handed us extremely complicated assignments, but he would take as much time a you needed, even on an individual basis, to explain everything. The first test I failed like I have never failed a test before. Ended up with an A for that classs though.

The derivative gets you around -80. still better than the imaginary numbers I was getting before. lol

I don't think so.

y = 0.02Q2 -.4Q +800 (0.02Q squared, right?)

dy/DQ = .04Q -4 =0

.04Q = 4

Q=100

Right?

I could be wrong, I have forgotten more math than a lot of math PhDs ever knew.

If I cheat and use a spread sheet, I get

Q STC

70 618

80 608

90 602

100 600

110 602

120 608

Y'all don't worry about it. I've got it done. and I'll be sending it in here in just a little bit. But thanks everyone. Hopefully this means that I get to graduate next Saturday. It all comes down to this paper. lol How's that for pressure!

Archived