SASS Wire Forum

.38 Revolver Ammo

Curley Fryes

Can someone please explain why there is such a difference in price for this ammo

Winchester .38, 158Gr, LFN, 50 rds, $30.97

Magtech .38, 158 Gr, LFN, 50rds, $22.27

American Eagle .38, 158 Gr, LRN, 50 rds, $18.88.

thanks

Various profit margins and business models. American Eagle is Federal low-end ammo line. Their higher-end stuff will be close to Winchester price. And Magtech (Brazilian import from CBC) probably has some lower costs of labor and perhaps materials, and is not one of the established higher end ammo companies, so they can sell cheaper to try to get their product accepted by the average buyer used to picking up American-made ammo.

Don't ask why, just buy when you find a deal you can live with. GJ

Are the LFN specifically marked as Cowboy Action loads? I find the ammo companies price this amo a bit steeper, probably to profit from the popularity of CAS.

The real deal is that once you have amortized the loading equipment and have all the stuff you need to work with, you can reload 38/357 ammo for SASS at approx. 10 or 11 cents a round. This is where you need to be headed.

RBK

The real deal is that once you have amortized the loading equipment and have all the stuff you need to work with, you can reload 38/357 ammo for SASS at approx. 10 or 11 cents a round. This is where you need to be headed.

RBK

I am looking to reload in the near future, but in the meantime thanks for the lesson pards!

Guess they are lead bullets??

Does it tell you how many grains of powder in them?

That could be some sort of factor but it's probably like the folks have said...How well known the brands are..

If they are all comparable.. buy the cheapest...

Although.. the Winchester probably have Winchester primers... softer primers... easier to set off..

Guess there isn't any way of knowing what primers the other manufacturers have used?

Some primers are harder and need a heavy hammer strike to set them off..

Wonder if you called the manufacturers if they'd tell you what primer and grains of powder??

Rance <_<

Thinkin' some other questions :mellow:

Oh yeah.. I reload my own... cheaper and I know what I got.. fer the future ;)

Guess there isn't any way of knowing what primers the other manufacturers have used?

Well, betcha dollars to spent primers that the primers in the American Eagle boxes are Federals. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

When I started I bought 1000 rounds from Cliffhanger, a SASS shooter and commercial loader. Not the lowest cost ammo available, but he got me ammo in the height of the ammo shortage, and I knew what I was getting, case, powder, bullet. Since then I've reloaded my own 38s.

Now that I have bucket loads of once fired AA hulls, and am having trouble finding featherlite shot shells, I'm gearing up to load those was well.

American Eagle .38, 158 Gr, LRN, 50 rds, $18.88.

Went through about 1200 rounds last year. no problems. Not an endorsement,just stating that it worked well for me. I got it because I got in on a great deal on a bulk purchase.

Plain and simple, the manufacturers are ripping off cowboy shooters. They know we require a certain configuration of ammo so they make us pay thru the nose for it. Winchester asking and getting right at $50 a box for 45 Colt and 44-40 is highway robbery.

Plain and simple, the manufacturers are ripping off cowboy shooters. They know we require a certain configuration of ammo so they make us pay thru the nose for it. Winchester asking and getting right at $50 a box for 45 Colt and 44-40 is highway robbery.

Don't blame the manufacture.

The market for cowboy ammo has to be super small compared to the rest of the shooting world.

Reload Lone Dog is all I gotta say.

With Winchester Cowboy ammo you are paying for the retro cardboard box with horse and rider plus the WW headstamp.

At AmmunitionToGo.com the cheapest 38Spl is 158gr LRN Federal Champion @ $300 per 1,000. The least expensive cowboy ammo is Magtech @ $215 per 500 in both 125gr & 158gr LFP. For 45LC they list Fiocchi cowboy 250gr LRNFP for $275 per 500 and Whinchester is $343.

JD

Don't blame the manufacture.

The market for cowboy ammo has to be super small compared to the rest of the shooting world.

Reload Lone Dog is all I gotta say.

We are the largest of the organized shooting sports but are a drop in the bucket to the security groups, plinkers and home defenders. Any ammo loaded to our specs is going to be a short run for the big manufacturers and therefore more expensive.

Buy a reloader. Most cost effective thing you can do in SASS. Lees are cheap but will make as good a cowboy bullet as any of the super-expensive brands.

No experience with the Eagle.

Magtech 45 Colt is the dirtiest ammo I ever tried to shoot in my rifle; never again.

I really like Winchester; the brass is solid and dimensionally accurate, the primers go "boom" every time, and the overall quality is, in my opinion, superior. When I'm running low on brass for reloading, I might buy a box or two of Winchester loads for a shoot, knowing that I can easily get multiple reloads from the brass. And there is something historic about the brand....

All of the above posts re reloading are correct; that Dillon price might look frightening at first, but you will quickly amortize that cost with ammo savings. I feel downright productive when I'm making ammo.....

LL

• 1 month later...

I reload all my ammo but if I was going to buy commercial ammo I would check into the various remanufactured ammo makers. They use used brass to offer lower cost ammo and most of them sell in bulk quanity to save you more money. I've saw it at local gun shows for as little as 14.95 for 50 rounds. That's a lot better than anything the big manufactures offer.

I used Magtech 158 LRN until I got set up reloading never had a prob but it was the same Price as American Eagle here ($18.99). Couldn't tell you what it is now. I reload for $6 a box. In 1 year of me and the wife shooting I recouped the cost of my Dillon 650 setup.

We are the largest of the organized shooting sports but are a drop in the bucket to the security groups, plinkers and home defenders. Any ammo loaded to our specs is going to be a short run for the big manufacturers and therefore more expensive.

Buy a reloader. Most cost effective thing you can do in SASS. Lees are cheap but will make as good a cowboy bullet as any of the super-expensive brands.

Just a guess, but I think you'll find that the Trap shooter probably burn more ammo than we do

Just a guess, but I think you'll find that the Trap shooter probably burn more ammo than we do

Bronco Billy

I am probably dumber than a stump but I don't find SASS Ammo on the SASS website. If you would point out where you are seeing this someone might be able to help you with the manufactures name.

Sorry I am not more help,

Marlin(Who rolls his own)Buckhorn

I used Magtech 158 LRN until I got set up reloading never had a prob but it was the same Price as American Eagle here ($18.99). Couldn't tell you what it is now. I reload for $6 a box. In 1 year of me and the wife shooting I recouped the cost of my Dillon 650 setup.

+1

I found a good deal on Magtech "Shootin Size" 158gr LRN ammo when I started CAS. Even though I reload, I needed brass anyways so I bought three boxes of it. I used it in my pistols as well as my '73 with no issues. I have been using the brass ever since (over a year now).

I bought several boxes of the Winchester on sale from Cabela's (21.99 per box I think), and got lucky with free shipping. I think the sale is on, but not the free shipping.

I also have purchased the American Eagle and I found that it has more of a "point" that made me nervous about puting in my rifle - call me chicken, but why risk a small point resting against a soft primer.

The Winchester USA is nearly as cheap as the American Eagle and has a more rounded point (but not as flat as their Cowboy loads). This is probably similar to what can be seen in many many 30-30's.

LRN is not exactly the same across all brands.

Archived