SASS Wire Forum

Serious out of battery discharge.

Subdeacon Joe

Yup. Extractor holds the case against the bolt face with just enough force to allow the firing pin to do its job on the primer.

In a very freak incident, we had a shooter who had a "dud" shotshell round. She picked it up, put it back in her belt loop for safe keeping, and went to the unloading table. After three minutes the round ignited. Talk about a "hang fire"! :ph34r: Scared the feces out of all of us but most of the powder didn't ignite in that one either.

Yup. Extractor holds the case against the bolt face with just enough force to allow the firing pin to do its job on the primer.

In a very freak incident, we had a shooter who had a "dud" shotshell round. She picked it up, put it back in her belt loop for safe keeping, and went to the unloading table. After three minutes the round ignited. Talk about a "hang fire"! :ph34r: Scared the feces out of all of us but most of the powder didn't ignite in that one either.

Good LORD! Talk about freak incidents. I wonder why to took so long to ignite? Shows the wisdom of the "wait 30 seconds before ejecting a fail to fire>"

I think the video is interesting because it shows the case bulging, and power going out ahead of the shot.

Well, I would expect the shell to expand and burst. It would not be capable of holding the ignition of the

powder, however small it might be. My overriding question, WHY?

Was this one of those ZOMBIE MOMENTS?

Yep, it was a factory-loaded round too.

"Why?" Mostly out of curiosity. It's kind of like looking at the Hollywood story of what would happen if you put a live round in a campfire. The casing bursts but nothing goes flying out of the fire as a projectile.

Years ago I watched a shooter at a trap range put a live round in a Win M12, close the action and the remove the barrel/forend assembly (similiar to the video clip only that was an 870) and fire the round into a hat. Nothing was damaged. There is no pressure on the case or the wad as it leaves the case and without pressure most of the powder does not ignite.

A while back a link was posted here to a video of a '73 shooter who had an out of battery discharge at a match.

When I got my new ( for me ) 120+ year old Wincheter '73 this year I found the firing pin protruding slightly from the bolt face.

I only played with "snap caps" thru it until I got home in the fall and could tear it down on my bench.

The bolt had old gummy grease in it that was holding the firing pin that way. I got it good and clean inside and lubed with light lube before I ever chambered live rounds.

Out of battery discharges are NOT FUN :wacko:

I was at GoA many years ago when that happened and you're right, it got everybodies attention. It did give her a little bruise but nothing else physically. I do not return any "bad" round to my person or belt because of that. I always knew better, but that incident was the reminder I needed.

Out of Battery Discharges can be dangerous without a doubt.

I've shared this here before... Several years ago my son's '66 jammed. While it was being cleared by a range officer at the loading bench it experienced an OOBD. Bullet went into the berm, but case ruptured:

Out of Battery Discharge

The missing piece of brass found the Kid about fifteen feet away and passed completely through his thumb, nearly causing him to lose the digit. Still has some limitations with it, but it could've been a LOT worse.

In 1997, I was shot at by a guy with a 12 gauge Mossberg with a 20 gauge shell in the chamber. The shell split just like on this video and tied up the gun so that he could not get another round in the chamber.

He got 3 years for that brain fart and I got a great story to tell...

Archived