SASS Wire Forum

Value & info needed on 1888 '73 WInchester

Widder, SASS #59054

Got a friend who has inherited his grandpa's 73 Winchester.

Here's some info he shared with me:

mfr date was 1888

caliber 38-40

round barrel (he don't know the barrel length)

original blueing is almost gone and has 'alittle' rust.

The action is mechanically TOP NOTCH, as he puts it.

Also, engraved on the receiver is the apparent original owners name of Berkheart (or Berkhard, Berkhart...etc) in Stroud, Oklahoma.

Can any of you historical experts identify this rifle and its estimated value?

EDIT: one more item: he says its a '2nd model'.

Thanks

..........Widder

You have already identified it as a Model 1873. Absolutely, 100%, impossible to give a reasonable estimate of value based on the description and no CLEAR pictures. No blueing and a "little" rust makes it sounds like a basic grey gun beater. These don't sell as quickly as a specimen with lots of blue and generally are in the $750 to $ 1000 range IF you can find a buyer that wants a beater.

What Larsen said. I

n addition, if the rifle is serial numbered to 1888, it is a third model - not a second model. Round barrels were standard for the 1873, and 38-40 was the 2nd most common chambering. If Robert Burkhart as a man of some note, then that provenance would increase the rifle some. :)

Howdy Larsen, Marauder and Grizzly.

Thanks for the info because it did help my friend with some good info.

He is going to sell the rifle BUT, he wants to contact the Burkhart family in Oklahoma to see if in fact the rifle may have belonged to their great grandpa. And if so, if they would like it back.

He got some names off of Goggle about some kin in Oklahoma and is going to make a couple phone calls.

The rifle was not engraved with the name on it but rather it was scratched into the receiver apparently by the original owner.

Anyhow, thanks for helping out.

..........Widder

Archived