SASS Wire Forum

Conceal Carry Question

Korupt Karl

With persistent back problems I have been relegated to carrying something small and lightweight. I carry a Smith 340M&P in my right front pocket with a speed strip in my right hip pocket. My primary reload is a Smith 438 carried on the left side just behind my hip for use with my left hand. I am, after all, a Jedi Gunfighter and can shoot with either hand. :lol:

PS. When I was a cop I carried a semi and three spare mags and the least of my worries was whether the one I ejected, empty or not, hit the ground.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO

2 or 3 fired rounds and the Bad Guy will go find easier pickings else wheres (if you're a bad shot). No need for another magazine (Concealed Carried). Defense not Offense.

And IF there is more than 1 BG to deal with or he's "wired-up" and comes back for more :rolleyes:

Must never heard of that SOB named Murphy :lol:

NOT hav'n at least 1 reload just don't make sense ;)

Better to have it and NOT need it, don't ya think.

Respectfully,

LG

Hmmm, it takes 18rds of 9mm to fight yer way back to the truck to get the spare magazine... I didn't know that. :blush: Why not have a rifle back at the truck for your backup?

Because I cannot legally carry a rifle with my CCW...

Many good ideas here.

I carry two extra mags.

I practice, when I can, doing not only shooting but reloads including tactical loads.

When I do a tactical reload the partially spent round goes into my left rear pocket for potential reuse.

Never know when a single opponent with part of a mag could turn into something way worse.

What!? No K-Bar fighting knife? ^_^

I tote a very large very stout Spyderco in one front pocket and a very large S&W switchblade in the other.

So . . the current doctrine in most military and police department is to train like you fight,

and fight like you train, or variations on that theme. Does taking your eyes off the threat,

and looking for remaining rounds in a magazine, and perhaps fumbling a reload while you try

to not drop the one removed from the pistol fit well in that doctrine?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass - I haven't been in too many gun fights - and one is too many,

I'm just trying to understand from folks who have been in them - do you take your eyes off the

threat and spend time and effort trying to preserve that magazine for some hypothetical future -

or just reload and get back up and fighting as fast as you can?

SC

The best pistolero fighting trainer I know of is Clint Smith. His doctrine is to retain the mag that you expel from the gun. Just stick it in yer pocket. Do so at each lull in the fight. If the mag in the gun is half full shuck it and put in a full one. Retain the half full one. You may need it later on in the fight. If the mag in the gun is down to one round you are behind the 8 ball and past time to change it out. You should never shoot the primary pistol to slide lock. Of course in the heat of battle it is hard to keep track of the round count sometimes.

I prefer not to go into rough areas. I have no choice. The dispatcher tells me to. I would not ever even consider not obeying her commands no matter how far away back up is. It is a very sinking feeling for her to ask if you are okay and you have to say negative have 'em step it up when you can screech quickly into the mike. And the sirens seem so very far away...

IMHO

2 or 3 fired rounds and the Bad Guy will go find easier pickings else wheres (if you're a bad shot). No need for another magazine (Concealed Carried). Defense not Offense.

A meth head will only get pissed off when shot at. They don't behave like normal humans. Trust me.

Hmmm, I begining to think I ought to have a Tech-9 on a sling under my duster just to keep up with the Jones here. :wacko:

on duty it's an AR and an extended mag 870.

Off duty usually a lever gun and a pistol gripped Win 1300 extended mag speed pump. It feeds the Aguila mini shells fine and about 19 of 'em fit, loaded birdshot for half a dozen, middle 6 is 00 Buck, and the last half dozen slugs. I just have to get stopped, jump out and open the back door and the speed pump comes instantly to hand.

The purpose of the handgun is to fight your way to your rifle (or sg or both).

A meth head will only get pissed off when shot at. They don't behave like normal humans. Trust me.

ARGH! That COULD HAPPEN. He might also dissolve into a puddle of his own leakage begging for his life at the sight of a gun. Meth is NOT predictable, nor all tweakers born equal or equally fried at the time you might encounter them.

As far as going into rough places... Virginia Tech was not a rough area. Nor was Luby's Cafeteria, The Ft. Hood Processing Center, or the parking lot where Gabriel Giffords was shot, etc etc.

You just never know do ya?.

Bad people sometimes go to nice places.

Utah,

Virginia tech, Luby's Cafeteria and Ft. Hood Processing Center all shared one thing in common....no guns were allowed on the premises/base.

As for Giffords it shows how hard it is to prevent an determined crazed killer.

However I am not sure if chairs that attack guns were there. :P

Two or three shots may cause the assailant to turn tail and run. The mere sight of the gun may do likewise. A stern look may very well do so.

But what if it doesn't? :unsure:

Nobody comes out of a gunfight complaining they had too much ammo.

It's a perceived cost/benefit that we all run. Heck, a 50 lb fire extinguisher is better than a 5 lb, but do you really wanna drag one around in yer car? If I realllly expected trouble, I'd take a page from the US marshal's service, 12 ga with a full bandoleer of shells and a handgun as backup.

If I'm carrying any of my 1911's, its two spare mags. If its my Ruger LCR, its two speedloaders. Long ingrained habit, I guess, but I'd feel nekkid with anything less.

I tote a very large very stout Spyderco in one front pocket and a very large S&W switchblade in the other.

The best pistolero fighting trainer I know of is Clint Smith. His doctrine is to retain the mag that you expel from the gun. Just stick it in yer pocket. Do so at each lull in the fight. If the mag in the gun is half full shuck it and put in a full one. Retain the half full one. You may need it later on in the fight. If the mag in the gun is down to one round you are behind the 8 ball and past time to change it out. You should never shoot the primary pistol to slide lock. Of course in the heat of battle it is hard to keep track of the round count sometimes.

I prefer not to go into rough areas. I have no choice. The dispatcher tells me to. I would not ever even consider not obeying her commands no matter how far away back up is. It is a very sinking feeling for her to ask if you are okay and you have to say negative have 'em step it up when you can screech quickly into the mike. And the sirens seem so very far away...

HOWDY

Clint Smith got his start at Gunsight and learned under Jeff Cooper. I attended couple of classes at GS that Smith was teaching and was a good teacher for sure. ;)

Jeff Cooper was the first to teach "keeping the mag", BTW.

Cheers,

LG

Depending upon what I'm carrying, I always carry 1 or 2 spare mags or a speedloader. You never know what will happen and you need to be prepared.

My primary choice for concealed carry is my Kahr MK40 Elite.

It is small enough that if I wouldn't carry it, I wouldn't carry a 380 auto either.

For those times when I want something really small, I am strongly considering getting a NAA Mini Revolver in 22Mag. The velocity is nearly 1200 fps vs. around 800 fps for a 380. As has already been pretty much agreed upon above in this post, with these small calibers expansion isn't a strong consideration but penetration and shot placement is. The diameter isn't what does the damage, the penetration does the damage. Unless my basic physics is lying to me, methinks the 22Mag hardball will penetrate better than 380 hardball. But the most important thought is that if it will fit in my pants pocket like my keychain (it will) I will likely ALWAYS have it with me.

Of course not! I carry an 88 magnum an' I only gots to hit'em ONCE......

Guns are mechanical devices; they break.

Guns are mechanical devices and they fail to function as advertised on occasion.

Bad people problems can sometimes be solv-ed by one round. Others may take more than that. Know of a few fights that lasted into the double digits.

As my Navy friend likes to say, two is one and one is.........none.

I thought when you shot at the head it killed the zombies (meth users are zombies!)?? :unsure: ....:P

Anyway, I am taking a CCW class in early 2012 and will be carrying a wheel gun - Ruger SP101

This one is a purty 'un:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101DE/models.html

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Hmmm, it takes 18rds of 9mm to fight yer way back to the truck to get the spare magazine... I didn't know that. :blush: Why not have a rifle back at the truck for your backup?

Sarge has more holes in him than 99.99% of the population. I'd heed his advice above that of many others.

CR

Sarge has more holes in him than 99.99% of the population. I'd heed his advice above that of many others.

CR

Well no wonder he has holes in him,,,, he keeps his spare magazine in the truck, which isn't worth a damn unless the engagement starts while you are in the truck.... That was my observation from his post. If you want to keep your spare mag far, far away,,,,well OK,,,,

What did you think when I suggested he keeps a rifle in his truck rather than his spare mag?

I am sure Sarge is a good man and cop and probably what he said isn't what he ment.

Well no wonder he has holes in him,,,, he keeps his spare magazine in the truck, which isn't worth a damn unless the engagement starts while you are in the truck.... That was my observation from his post. If you want to keep your spare mag far, far away,,,,well OK,,,,

What did you think when I suggested he keeps a rifle in his truck rather than his spare mag?

I am sure Sarge is a good man and cop and probably what he said isn't what he ment.

Pard, I'm never more than 50 feet from my truck and I am no longer out looking for trouble as I am retired. If it's OK for some to rationalize that 5 shots from a single action revolver suffices, I'm shocked that 18 in my Glock is insufficient, especially when my lightweight alternative is a 5 shot .357 with an additional 5 in a speedloader.... In fact, when I first pinned on my Star, we were limited to a .38 revolver and 6 additional rounds in a dump pouch.... I walked around the ghetto of Chicago confidant in my ability and my first shooting was with this set up...I do not walk around looking like I am loaded for bear, nor am I a poster child for the pseudo-tacticalytes that all wear the uniform photographer's vest with a bulge the size of New Jersey on their hips, almost underneath the vest as pronounce themselves as carrying concealed. When I carry, you need to look long and hard to see where my pistol is and if I am carrying my snubbie, you won't know it until it is screwed into somebody's nose.

Pard, I'm never more than 50 feet from my truck and I am no longer out looking for trouble as I am retired. If it's OK for some to rationalize that 5 shots from a single action revolver suffices, I'm shocked that 18 in my Glock is insufficient, especially when my lightweight alternative is a 5 shot .357 with an additional 5 in a speedloader.... In fact, when I first pinned on my Star, we were limited to a .38 revolver and 6 additional rounds in a dump pouch.... I walked around the ghetto of Chicago confidant in my ability and my first shooting was with this set up...I do not walk around looking like I am loaded for bear, nor am I a poster child for the pseudo-tacticalytes that all wear the uniform photographer's vest with a bulge the size of New Jersey on their hips, almost underneath the vest as pronounce themselves as carrying concealed. When I carry, you need to look long and hard to see where my pistol is and if I am carrying my snubbie, you won't know it until it is screwed into somebody's nose.

And, if I may add, there is a difference between carrying a "low-capacity" revolver or .380, with no spare ammo, and carrying an 18-round pistol with no spare (or a spare in the vehicle). Plus, a big part of having reloads is so that you still have a full mag/cylinder after the excitement is over.

It's a perceived cost/benefit that we all run. Heck, a 50 lb fire extinguisher is better than a 5 lb, but do you really wanna drag one around in yer car? If I realllly expected trouble, I'd take a page from the US marshal's service, 12 ga with a full bandoleer of shells and a handgun as backup.

No, but two 5-pounders wouldn't be unreasonable.

If I knew for a fact I were going to need a fire extinguisher in the next couple days, then I'd probably stick the 50-pounder in the trunk. If I knew for a fact I were going to be in a gunfight, I'd have a rifle handy.

EDIT: RIF. You already made that same point with the shotgun reference. :)

I alluded to this on another post and just thought I would ask. When you carry a semi auto....Do you carry an extra magazine?

I ask this as we are taught that in the event of a jamb, stovepipe, double feed or other problem it is expeditious to drop the mag when clearing the gun....which magnifies the importance of carrying an extra.

I habitually will carry an extra magazine and while I don't have problems with my guns feeding, etc....if, God forbid, I need it, I want every base covered.

Wild Bunch shooting has improved my magazine loading to which I say thank you to the sport.

Just my too scents.

KK

Yup! Cuz I'd hate ta git kilt fer lack of shootin' back!!

:FlagAm:

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

You cannot carry TOO much ammo.

'Lessin' you plannin' on walkin' on the bottom... you can carry TOO much when you and yore horse has to swim across.

ts

Utah,

Virginia tech, Luby's Cafeteria and Ft. Hood Processing Center all shared one thing in common....no guns were allowed on the premises/base.

As for Giffords it shows how hard it is to prevent an determined crazed killer.

However I am not sure if chairs that attack guns were there. :P

NO GUNS at a ARMY BASE!!! That is just WRONG!!!!! :angry:

Archived