SASS Wire Forum

Conceal Carry Question

Korupt Karl

I alluded to this on another post and just thought I would ask. When you carry a semi auto....Do you carry an extra magazine?

I ask this as we are taught that in the event of a jamb, stovepipe, double feed or other problem it is expeditious to drop the mag when clearing the gun....which magnifies the importance of carrying an extra.

I habitually will carry an extra magazine and while I don't have problems with my guns feeding, etc....if, God forbid, I need it, I want every base covered.

Wild Bunch shooting has improved my magazine loading to which I say thank you to the sport.

Just my too scents.

KK

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't carry one for my Keltec. If I can't hit what I need to with whats in the one mag I'm in serious trouble. If there are too many bad people that I'm up against, I shouldn't have been there to start with :wacko: I have several extra loaded mags in my truck, but do not carry them on my person. Used to carry a wheelgun...speed loaders are even worse to carry around!

Yes I do and a small Surefire flashlight. Most SD non LEO shootings are after dark or in dark places.

You should reload after first "contact", btw, because you more than likely are empty from "panic-firing" and don't know it.

Gunsite school in Az. has great classes for CCW holders and brief you on what to expect "after-the-shot".

Respectfully,

LG

Yep. Minimum of one reload, no matter what the gun. Usually two spare mags or speedloader/speed strips.

Agree with Lumpy as well...small flashlight as well.

A Surefire light can be used as a disabling device just by ruining someone's night vision with a blast of the white hot light they put out.

I don't carry one for my Keltec. If I can't hit what I need to with whats in the one mag I'm in serious trouble. If there are too many bad people that I'm up against, I shouldn't have been there to start with :wacko: I have several extra loaded mags in my truck, but do not carry them on my person. Used to carry a wheelgun...speed loaders are even worse to carry around!

Sage; You may have missed my point. I don't question that most of us can hit what we are aiming at and that what the gun holds should do. As you know most shoots are usually 2 or 3 shots and I agree that if we need more than one mag we are probably in over our head.

I was merely asking about if you ever had to dump your magazine to clear the gun for some reason if you had an extra handy that would keep you from going to the ground for the mag that was dropped. That's all I was trying to say. I normally wear BDU's so I have several places to carry mags.

KK

I have never needed an extra mag when carrying any of my guns. I have occasionally needed one during various matches. Just about every match malfunction needing to fix a problem has been ammo related with my reloads. I've since corrected those issues.

:FlagAm: Carry a spare mag in the event there is a major mechanical snafu. Should you choose to carry a revolver, carry a speed strip. Either way it is about being ready for the worst case scenario, pray to God it never happens to you. :FlagAm:

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it....carry extra, it's not like a sweater , you not dealing with the cold, your dealing with yours and your families life.

OrneryOaf

I eluded to this on another post and just thought I would ask. When you carry a semi auto....Do you carry an extra magazine?

I ask this as we are taught that in the event of a jamb, stovepipe, double feed or other problem it is expeditious to drop the mag when clearing the gun....which magnifies the importance of carrying an extra.

I habitually will carry an extra magazine and while I don't have problems with my guns feeding, etc....if, God forbid, I need it, I want every base covered.

Wild Bunch shooting has improved my magazine loading to which I say thank you to the sport.

Just my too scents.

KK

When I carry a single stack gun I carry two spare magazine reloads, and

when I carry a double stack (like my Hi Power) I carry one magazine reload.

When I carried a .38 Colt DS revolver, I carried one speed loader and two

strips of six.

Shadow Catcher

BTW - when I am clearing a double feed jam, stripping the mag is step one,

racking the slide to clear is step two, inserting a new mag and charging the

chamber is step three.

Tap, rack, Bang does not work for a double feed jam.

The department I worked for taught to drop the mag as a last resort and if "dropped" to hang onto it. Stick it under your little finger on your shooting hand. I do that, but I also carry an extra magazine. Always.

Coffinmaker

I was taught that "One is none, and two is one" when it comes to carrying a firearm and that carries over to spare ammo.I would rather have it and not need it than the other way around. As for clearing jams in an auto-loader, Yes, strip the mag out, put it in your pocket if it still has ammo left in it( otherwise drop it) ,Clear jam then reload fresh magazine and assess the situation.And hopefully you have done this behind cover.

I never put a mag in the dirt. NEVER, never, never. Even in WB. If there's not a table to catch it then I catch it in my hand. You may need that mag and if you do, it's best not to have to dig it out of the dirt if you CAN find it in the heat of battle. If you do somehow re-locate it and it's full of dirt then it is still useless to you. The good Lord gave you two hands -- one to hold the gun and one to catch the mag and put it in a pocket or in the belt. Ya got plenty of pockets on them BDUs, no reason for a mag to ever hit the ground.

And yes of course, I always carry spare mags. And I've carried a Sure Fire Z7 combat light since it first came out many many years ago. Usually also have pepper spray, a 31 inch airweight ASP and a Taser. You can never have enuff emergency threat management tools when TSHTF. Spare mags are top of the list.

To the contrary, I live in one of the safest areas in the US.

Howsomever I subscribe to the old boy scout motto of "be prepared". It's always better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

In a split second even the safest of areas can become a life or death "scene". I just don't wanna get killed for lack of shooting back. I prefer my adversary's bullet riddled body be laying there than mine.

I carry 1 spare mag when I carry a semi auto. I don't trust any singular mag enough to bet my life on it. When I carry a wheel gun, I carry at least 1, and usually 2, speed loaders. I also practice using them weekly- either live fire at the range or dry fire with dummy rounds.

I carry 1 spare mag when I carry a semi auto. I don't trust any singular mag enough to bet my life on it. When I carry a wheel gun, I carry at least 1, and usually 2, speed loaders. I also practice using them weekly- either live fire at the range or dry fire with dummy rounds.

I trust my conceal carry semi auto gun(s) ,, with one mag. with my life. If I didn't, I wouldn't be carrying it. It hasn't failed me yet during practice. I will rethink that thought for the sake of argument.

Blastmaster

IMHO

2 or 3 fired rounds and the Bad Guy will go find easier pickings else wheres (if you're a bad shot). No need for another magazine (Concealed Carried). Defense not Offense.

Open Carried - 1 or 2 magazines carried on the opposite side to "balance the load".

TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It) it ain't going to be a few lily liver no accounts it will be zombies or gangs looking for food or woman. I'd plan on carrying as many guns, ammo and spare mags I can hump.

P.S. dropping a mag will not clear a jamb.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Ammo? And... on top of that... Extra ammo.....?

Well... I will be danged....

Sssshheeesshhhhh... I never thought 'bout carryin' ANY ammo...

Thank goodness for the SASS Wire...

ts

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

howdy Karl, I carry either a walter ppk in 380, aRuger sheriffs model in 45LC and a Glock 19 in 9mm, also I carry a ceramic blade pocket knife to carve the bullets out of my victom who was stupid enough to mess with someone who can shoot. But for the most part I avoid trouble as much as possible.

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

L.D.,

Along with your guns, carrying spare mags, a Sure Fire Z7 combat light, pepper spray, a 31 inch airweight ASP and a Taser you would be well advised to avoid falling in water.

:lol::lol:

Love that movie. Acted it out for theater in hs with yours truely as robin even included the can can. (Grizz if you find the video of it that's floating around the web, and post it, I may hunt you down with a big stick!) Jk

Anyway. What I carry varies on my mood and the temp. Mostly a wheel gun with no reloads. Mostly because I was taught if your close enough to need a hide out gun your close enough to take away the bad guys toy and use it on him. The law here is if he's more than 21' away and you shoot him your in deep trouble. When adrenaline is pumping you'd be suprised how fast you can cover 21'

When I'm going into a known rough area I do pack more ammo..... generally a bigger gun too. Plus a couple sharp pointy things

Just my opinion take it for what its wirth

Respectfully

Evil Dogooder

When I am carrying my S&W Model 640 in .357 magnum, it is loaded with 5 rounds of Winchester 110 grain JHP magnums with 5 more in a speedloader in my pocket. If I am carrying my Glock Model 17, I have 18 rounds of Winchester 124 grain Plus P JHP's and another magazine with 17 in my truck.

When I am carrying my S&W Model 640 in .357 magnum, it is loaded with 5 rounds of Winchester 110 grain JHP magnums with 5 more in a speedloader in my pocket. If I am carrying my Glock Model 17, I have 18 rounds of Winchester 124 grain Plus P JHP's and another magazine with 17 in my truck.

Hmmm, it takes 18rds of 9mm to fight yer way back to the truck to get the spare magazine... I didn't know that. :blush: Why not have a rifle back at the truck for your backup?

I never put a mag in the dirt. NEVER, never, never. Even in WB. If there's not a table to catch it then I catch it in my hand. You may need that mag and if you do, it's best not to have to dig it out of the dirt if you CAN find it in the heat of battle. If you do somehow re-locate it and it's full of dirt then it is still useless to you. The good Lord gave you two hands -- one to hold the gun and one to catch the mag and put it in a pocket or in the belt. Ya got plenty of pockets on them BDUs, no reason for a mag to ever hit the ground.

And yes of course, I always carry spare mags. And I've carried a Sure Fire Z7 combat light since it first came out many many years ago. Usually also have pepper spray, a 31 inch airweight ASP and a Taser. You can never have enuff emergency threat management tools when TSHTF. Spare mags are top of the list.

So . . the current doctrine in most military and police department is to train like you fight,

and fight like you train, or variations on that theme. Does taking your eyes off the threat,

and looking for remaining rounds in a magazine, and perhaps fumbling a reload while you try

to not drop the one removed from the pistol fit well in that doctrine?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass - I haven't been in too many gun fights - and one is too many,

I'm just trying to understand from folks who have been in them - do you take your eyes off the

threat and spend time and effort trying to preserve that magazine for some hypothetical future -

or just reload and get back up and fighting as fast as you can?

SC

I don't go into "known rough areaas"...silly me... :rolleyes:

I do... because I grew up in them areas. Mostly... I don't fit in no where's else.

Dam if I'm gonna forego my card playin'... pool playin'... and foolin' round time... just 'cause of some "known rough areas'...

To hell with knucklin' under...

ts

Murphy's law dictates carrying extra ammo. Not necessarily for an extended gunfight but think of this:

You duck for cover and bring your gun up. You hit the arm of a chair you're hiding behind. You manage to hit it right on the mag release and the magazine skitters across the floor out in the open. Oops.

Not being a seasoned pistolero with many gunfights under your belt like Texas Man, you accidentally hit the mag release. It's pretty dark and you have no idea where the bullets went. Oops.

These things have happened before.

As far as going into rough places... Virginia Tech was not a rough area. Nor was Luby's Cafeteria, The Ft. Hood Processing Center, or the parking lot where Gabriel Giffords was shot, etc etc.

You just never know do ya?.

Bad people sometimes go to nice places.

As far as going into rough places... Virginia Tech was not a rough area. Nor was Luby's Cafeteria, The Ft. Hood Processing Center, or the parking lot where Gabriel Giffords was shot, etc etc.

You just never know do ya?.

Bad people sometimes go to nice places.

That was just... ABSOLUTELY... profound... my CO friend. Very thoughtful... and a hecka-va-lot better answer than my facetiously responded come-back.

ts

I don't go into "known rough areaas"...silly me... :rolleyes:

I don't like to but sometimes my job requires it. Plus I always have extra ammo in my car.

Nine times out of ten I also have a long gun in the trunk or behind the seat in the truck. Hey I'm a farm boy... we're always packing something to get those pesky rodents/coyotes .

Archived