SASS Wire Forum

Choice of Instruments

Subdeacon Joe

He said "monopoly on violence", not firearms.

I pretty much agree with the guy. He is an idealist (wouldn't it be great if all was goodness and light?), but also a realist (until that day comes, we need guns). That is where hardcore pacifists lose me: they simply ignore the grim reality.

Consider that he is primarily speaking of international or regional conflict, or internal strife between large groups. He did not address, positively or negatively, violent crime committed by individuals.

The good general is from the Netherlands -

"Netherlands

Dutch gun law is typical of the Western European approach. Firearm possession is not subject to any constitutional protections, but regulated simply in the Arms and Ammunition Act (Wet Wapens en Munitie). Weapons, including firearms, are divided into four categories, and for each of the categories a certain maximum punishment is set for "voorhanden hebben" (possession), and "dragen" (carrying in public).

Only citizens who are hunters, members of shooting sports clubs or legitimate collectors may obtain licenses for firearms. In the case of shooting club members they will get a license for category III weapons (a firearms category which includes all non- full automatic firearms up to .50 cal.). Possession is generally limited to 5 firearms per license. Collectors may obtain a license for any category of firearm, including full automatic arms, but stringent rules apply to achieving collector status. There is no limit to the number of firearms a collector may obtain. Generally the collector license does not cover shooting these weapons."

The same system that allowed a madman in Norway to commit mass murder because the general public is not allowed to own firearms. Sorry, but humans will never Legislate away evil, and it's evil people that we need to protect ourselves from - Personally.

So, he was speaking to an audience of highly educated folks, an apparent majority from the liberal arts background, who grew up in a western European backdrop with strict gun control.

His subject was based on the "provide for the common defense" concept within a constitutional government. I thought he did an OUTSTANDING job from that perspective in defining it's purpose and the reasoning that it allows all other societal freedoms, advances and protections.

The "gun" was simply a recognizable and representative prop for all the "machines of warfare". This was not intended to be an individual gun right speech - I've heard equally good ones on that point.

From a military, defense perspective, he neatly and eloquently summed up why I served in the bigger national, international, and societal sense.

A bit more than kumbaya IMHO. I'll have a Grolsch - you may keep your smores, thanks ;)

Harvey :FlagAm:

Well said, sir. You summarized what I felt about it but wasn't able to quite articulate. Thank you.

So, he was speaking to an audience of highly educated folks, an apparent majority from the liberal arts background, who grew up in a western European backdrop with strict gun control.

His subject was based on the "provide for the common defense" concept within a constitutional government. I thought he did an OUTSTANDING job from that perspective in defining it's purpose and the reasoning that it allows all other societal freedoms, advances and protections.

The "gun" was simply a recognizable and representative prop for all the "machines of warfare". This was not intended to be an individual gun right speech - I've heard equally good ones on that point.

From a military, defense perspective, he neatly and eloquently summed up why I served in the bigger national, international, and societal sense.

A bit more than kumbaya IMHO. I'll have a Grolsch - you may keep your smores, thanks ;)

Harvey :FlagAm:

Archived