SASS Wire Forum

Concealed Carry Question

Major Pain

Since this post came out back in Nov, we have had two really bad days in the adjoining community I spoke of. Two invasions and a bank robbery in about a six hour period, on the worst day, and all no more then three miles from my front door. For over a month now I have gone totally to carrying the 45acp Colt New Agent. It is about your perceived threat level and as it rises so should your level of preparation for a dangerous encounter. I must say that within days of going to fourteen to sixteen hours of daily wear with a mid-size gun, you will get used to it and spend large parts of your day not knowing it is there. Remember, as much depends on your method of carry and style of dress as does the gun you select.

To reality, so far no one has been killed or seriously injured in these local area invasions and most seem to be drug related so, does that increase ones chance of death when armed resistance is entered into the equation? When the numbers of invaders hits two or three determined, prepared and aggressive individuals with surprise on their side, you are already in serious trouble. This will not be the time to wonder about caliber power or target shooting for head shots, like you are playing James Bond at some darned target range! I will personally be mighty glad when my perceived threat level subsides moocho mucho but until then, every time the dogs warn of something approaching, I watch with a red tint. Did I mention that I am now old and deaf but my little dogs are my best friends and their hearing is super.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To reality, so far no one has been killed or seriously injured in these local area invasions and most seem to be drug related so, does that increase ones chance of death when armed resistance is entered into the equation? ]

Not for the home owner. Remember wolves prefer unarmed sheep. The last thing they expect and want is a armed owner ready for them.

When the numbers of invaders hits two or three determined, prepared and aggressive individuals with surprise on their side, you are already in serious trouble.

Well as Gomer Pyle says; Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Since the thread veered predictably off course;

YES. a .380 will serve you just fine as a self defense weapon. Choose a solid bullet like the Buffalo Bore that was advised earlier.

Here in GA the weather dictates what is concealable. In the summer I carry at a minimum a NAA. 22 Mag derringer in my front pocket. An iwb holster is uncomfortable to me so I have switched to a Smart Carry holster with a 438 s&w. Laserlyte makes a nice laser that screws onto the sideplate. Still carry the NAA in my front pocket even when carrying the Smith since it is more accessible.

I carry a Ruger LCP because it has a good rep and it's easy to grab and put in your pocket. That said, my research tells me to stay away from hollow points as the .380 has marginal penetrating power and hollow points just make it worse. Also, the gun packs quite a kick due to it's small size. This can be corrected with a stronger recoil spring, but that leaves you with a gun that's harder to rack.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if I ever do have to use a gun for self-defense, it will pretty much destroy my life in court / litigation afterwards. Therefore, I will not ever pull a gun unless I know FOR CERTAIN that MY LIFE IS IN SERIOUS DANGER. Trouble is that before I know that FOR CERTAIN I could be dead. So be it, I'm approaching 70 and have had a good life. But I will guarantee you all one thing ... if I ever DO have to pull that gun, the other guy/s WILL be DEAD. Odds are strong there will be no witnesses. And I won't report diddly squat. And there will be no wounded A-hole/s ruining my life in court! And yes, I very carefully make certain that there are no fingerprints on the brass in my gun!

Archived