SASS Wire Forum

Concealed Carry Question

Major Pain

OK, so in my old age I'm going to sell my Glock 26 (9mm)because I just want to a lighter CC gun. Many say today that a .380 with quality (i.e. Hornady or similar) self-defense ammo is plenty good enough. Some say as good as or better that .38 +P with a "snubby."

In my previous post I asked about the new Kimber Solo (9mm) and didn't get great support for that.

So, what say ye about a .380 with the right ammo? Maybe a Sig P290 or S&W "Bodyguard," or a Ruger LCP .380.

Major Payne :FlagAm:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so in my old age I'm going to sell my Glock 26 (9mm)because I just want to a lighter CC gun. Many say today that a .380 with quality (i.e. Hornady or similar) self-defense ammo is plenty good enough. Some say as good as or better that .38 +P with a "snubby."

In my previous post I asked about the new Kimber Solo (9mm) and didn't get great support for that.

So, what say ye about a .380 with the right ammo? Maybe a Sig P290 or S&W "Bodyguard," or a Ruger LCP .380.

Sure it is, whatever you will carry every day is the right one. I carry a 32 KelTec pocket pistol cause I know I'll always carry it. I have better ones but just don't like the bulk. I really like the Solo and the review in American Rifleman, just haven't seen one up close yet. Any of the ones you have listed would be fine with the right ammo. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Anything that you are able to carry is an improvement over 2 hands... I have done a bit of testing with .380 JHP's and find them to be a bit underpenetrating and depending on the pistol, may not feed reliably. I have quite a few friends that carry their Ruger LCP's with Ball ammo feeling that the FMJ bullet will have sufficient penetration if striking a heavy bone or heavy clothing as we run into in this area during winter.

The LCP with a laser in a pocket holster can be carried in any pocket. I'm calling it a "keychain" gun cause it could almost be carried on one. Buy a Mika pocket holster for $12 and there's no reason not to have it on you.

I carry the Kahr CW9. It's very small but shoots the 9MM ctg. and is quite accurate with a very smooth and easy Double Action trigger pull. One of the most comfortable and easiest to conceal pistols I have ever owned.

Don't overlook this one.

RBK

Lightning is the best self defense weapon, and best of all, it's untraceable . . . .

lacking that I carry either my Hi-Power or my K9, cause a mouse gun is for mice . . . . .

But I do have a Walther PPk in .380 in my BOB just in case . . . .

SC

Follow up -

My eldest son carries a Kahr .380 as a means to get him to his battle rifles . . .

A friend carries a Solo 9mm and loves it; I can't get sub 4" groups with it, my K9

gives me sub 2" easily with anything I feed it . . . My choice is Kahr!

My Daughter in Law loves her EMP - it's a shooter - but it's not the most compact 9mm you'll

ever shoot - but I'd trust it in a New York minute to function and solve the problem for ya!

I struggle with anything less than a 9mm given the small and effective packages out there -

the MK9, and all the other fine guns available . . .380 seems like an old bad habit that

just won't quite go away . . . . .

Shadow Catcher

ANYTHING you have with you is better than anything in your gun safe at home.

Yes, I would much prefer my 308 semi auto M14 or my Remington 870 over any pistol, but they are heavy and difficult to conceal.

So we compromise and carry handguns, and part of that compromise is settling on a handgun that you will always carry.

One that is not too heavy, too bulky or too unweildy so that we decide to leave it at home.

I carry everyday and 90% of the time, it's my Smith & Wesson 340pd.

Five shot 357mag scandium frame revolver.

No heavier than the current crop of polymer framed 380s, but a lot more potent.

I carry a 2" bbl, S&W mod 340SC "J" frame that weighs 1 lb loaded with 5 .357 Mags or .38 Specials. This gun goes bang everydangtime I pull the trigger.

Just why would want a pop-gun .380 that MIGHT work.

Respectfully,

LG

For conceal I typically carry a Colt Double action mustang 380 with Hyra Shock bullets. Now that I'm able to wear a jacket or vest without looking out of place I carry a Glock 21....45 acp. If you carry a semi auto I strongly urge you to carry an extra magazine in the event of a jamb, stovepipe or other ammo problem that would cause you to have to possibly drop the mag and clear.

I agree with all when they say "The best Self Defense gun....is the one you are carrying" as whatever you carry is better than nothing. I do have times where all I have is a 22mag five shot derringer. Like most I carry all the time.

KK

Anything that you are able to carry is an improvement over 2 hands... I have done a bit of testing with .380 JHP's and find them to be a bit underpenetrating and depending on the pistol, may not feed reliably. I have quite a few friends that carry their Ruger LCP's with Ball ammo feeling that the FMJ bullet will have sufficient penetration if striking a heavy bone or heavy clothing as we run into in this area during winter.

+1. Sarge gives you good advice.

First of all I think it is hard to make a bad choice with all of the different models being made today. You need to choose what fits your lifestyle and threat level best. Your level of proection if you retired is different than a store owner making nighty trips to the bank with the store receipts.

My choice in this caliber range is the 9x18 as ex-commie bloc handguns are inexpensive and very high quality. Like the Sarge I have found that hollowpoint ammo gives me less penetration than I like so ball is my choice. Plus the fact that my guns are 100% relible with ball is the top of the list.

As the Sarge says FMJ gives you the additional penetration to punch through heavy clothing, bone or the shot from a less than perfect angle.

I sometimes (in the summer especially) carry a Kel-Tec .380 with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. It's supposed to be the best self defense ammo out there. I'm relying on it. Rye :)

Major if you want or need something smaller I'd look at the Taurus Slim 9 as well. Its no bigger then many 380s and gives you more choices in ammo selection plus more power. Mine has been 100% with ball, hp handloads and factory like the Fed hydroshock and some old PMC starfire that came out of the ammo can. Small and slim it is real easy to conceal in a IWB desantis holster and a spare mag doesnt take up much room in a jeans pocket.

Whoops that went off topic as to 380.

My first choice is my nasty, always works, shake-it-and-it-sounds-like-a-baby-rattle 1911 clone. I have to be wearing a LOT of clothes for concealed carry or be somewhere like AZ. where open carry is acceptable. My next option for cc is a Colt Government Model .380 as it is small enough even with summer clothes.

The little gun does have some advantages. I can shoot it one handed (with either hand) or two handed and it is wicked accurate. As they say, "Any gun is better than no gun" I used to have a Sig but it hurt to shoot it. The baby Colt 1911-like design is much better. I use hotter ammo than I had for the Sig, I can shoot it all day long and it doesn't hurt, even one handed.

OP said they were retired. One thing common among the LCP and S&W Bodyguard 380 is a long trigger pull. You'll want to maybe rent one at the range or shoot one belonging to a pard before buying that type gun. That said, I have the S&W Bodyguard 380 and its what I carry because it fits in my pocket.

+1 Penetration seems to be the issue with a 380 not the expansion....which can reduce the effects on a smaller round....especially if the person is wearing thick heavy clothes.

I use Buffalo Bullets cast +p in my 380 Khar it feeds well and is very accurate in that pistol..

Take another look at the small/micro 9mm pistols. They are only marginally larger then the 380's out there (and smaller in some cases) and about the same weight if you go with a polymer frame pistol.

Most of the .380 class are straight blowback and based on personal experience, my all steel, East German Makarov in 9x18 recoils more in my hand then my polymer framed Kahr PM9.

I have and recommend a Kahr PM9 (http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp). It has fed all sorts of 115gr and 124gr ammo reliably, I haven't tried 147gr only because I don't use the 147gr bullet weight. The DAO trigger is nearly as good as the professionly worked on S&W 625 that I have; the PM9 carries nicely in the back pocket and is very accurate for such a small gun.

Then you are probably un-armed most of the time. Just saying...

You did say "wouldn't rely on any...." That is why you keep shooting (and getting hits) till threat is stopped.

Blastmaster

Wrong you are Sir! I'm ALWAYS ARMED!!

Take another look at the small/micro 9mm pistols. They are only marginally larger then the 380's out there (and smaller in some cases) and about the same weight if you go with a polymer frame pistol.

Most of the .380 class are straight blowback and based on personal experience, my all steel, East German Makarov in 9x18 recoils more in my hand then my polymer framed Kahr PM9.

I have and recommend a Kahr PM9 (http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp). It has fed all sorts of 115gr and 124gr ammo reliably, I haven't tried 147gr only because I don't use the 147gr bullet weight. The DAO trigger is nearly as good as the professionly worked on S&W 625 that I have; the PM9 carries nicely in the back pocket and is very accurate for such a small gun.

I carry the same gun. For most of the past 30 ys I carried nothing but a wheel gun. The Kahr is the first 9mm, concealable auto loader that I have trusted to carry.

Snakebite

In the summer I occasionaly carry my Colt Govt. Model .380 loaded with Hydra Shock JHPs. It conceals easily under a shirt as does my Kimber Solo that I carry most of the time, or I'll carry a Colt Det. Spl. 38. In winter, I'll carry a Springfield EMP 9mm or Kimber Ultra CDP 45acp, and once in a blue moon I'll carry my Taurus PT145. It's a tad heavy with 11 rds of Black Talon in it. I also carry spare mags or a speed loader for everything I carry.

In most instances, .380 JHPs fired from a short barrel will NOT expand worth crap. I carry mine with 90 grain XTPs loaded to CorBon specs, and even then, out of a PPK sized gun (Bersa Thunder), expansion is marginal. BUT they are gonna slow em up considerably, considering I got 8 of em in a platform I can shoot well, and one that has NEVER glitched.

I would not feel under-armed with a .380. However, I have a Kel Tek PF9 as one of my CCW guns. Only VERY slightly larger than my wife's Bersa .380, and lighter to boot.

Take a look at this chart. It may give you some other ideas.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.jpg

I believe it was, of all people, Jeff Cooper, who said that the man with a .22 in his pocket is better armed than the man with the .45 in his drawer at home.

There is a lot of wisdom in that statement.

And, since I would be willing to carry a .22 loaded up with Remington Yellow Jackets if nothing else was available, I can have no quarell with someone wanting to carry a .380. (Or a .38 S&W for the wheelgun inclined)

Under normal circumstances, my concealed carry gun is a Colt Mustang .380. I just like the 1911 design.

I've also added a more informative and perhaps useful reply on your Solo thread . . . .

Shadow Catcher

I just got home and put my Walther ppk/s under the arm of my chair and started up this my laptop.

As the weather gets colder and I have to wear a jacket it will be either a 1911 45 ACP or a 4 inch N frame 10mm

In most instances, .380 JHPs fired from a short barrel will NOT expand worth crap. I carry mine with 90 grain XTPs loaded to CorBon specs, and even then, out of a PPK sized gun (Bersa Thunder), expansion is marginal. BUT they are gonna slow em up considerably, considering I got 8 of em in a platform I can shoot well, and one that has NEVER glitched.

Are these "re-loads"?

BAD idea for a SD gun. When you get to court AFTER the shooting, you will be 'eat'n alive" for for using reloads.

Respectfully,

LG

Are these "re-loads"?

BAD idea for a SD gun. When you get to court AFTER the shooting, you will be 'eat'n alive" for for using reloads.

Respectfully,

LG

What Lumpy said..........Times 100. Be careful with reloads, they are a DA's best friend in making a case.

Major, just be sure to carry a gun, one that you will have access to in a situation that you never ever want to be in, and God willing you never will be in. Carry what is comfortable, reachable, right in your hand, dependable, and one that you WILL CARRY every day. Many a 'mutt' have been dispatched with a lowly 22 with proper bullet(s) placement.

I use a lightweight Smith .38 either in my back pocket, or on my strong side hip, or now that the weather is cooler in AZ in my jacket or sweater pocket. I use a DeSantis pocket holster or An IWB for hip. I am 63 yrs old and have leukemia so my stamina is not near what it used to be, so for me, lighter is more comfortable.

As an aside, if you are in a situation where you had to use your firearm, NEVER EVER EVER talk to ANYONE, especially the police, until you speak to an attorney. They are not your friend, no matter how nice they are to you. Their job, in part, is to build a case against you, and what seems an innocent statement to you, may not be to them in front of a jury, and a prosecuting DA.

Archived