SASS Wire Forum

Video - Shooting the Remington New Model Army Revolver

I won a 1858 Remington Conversion in 45 at the 2010 SASS New England Regional'The Great Nor’easter' I think it is a really cool pistol. I am looking to get one more and shoot them next summer. They do look mean. No wonder back in the day all you had to do is pull it out. The bad guy would run away because it would have scared the hell of the donkeys becasue it looks big and mean. I know I would not liked to look down the barrel of this hog leg :excl::wacko:

Excellent Mike, thank you for doing these :excl:!!

Nice to find out that I'm not alone in getting the spent cap burning tattoo - mine coming from Colt's. :huh:

I look forward to the video you reference on mods for these, as I now have a pair, also.

Thanks,

Harvey :)

Thanks for another great vid, Mike. I'm also looking foward to the upcoming vid on mods. A lot of us folks use conversion cylinders in our pistolas. I'm hoping you'll include that in the mod vid. I know you have an old one from Kenny that you talked about in one of your past vids on the Remmy - good stuff!

Kid, it is my understanding that the Uberti Colt Conversions were actually beefed up frames as compared to the standard c&b model frames? This may also hold true for the Remingtons also? I like the '58s a great deal but find that its biggest short coming for me is the grip configuration behind the trigger guard. Some also claim they are bad about binding with bp but I always used multiple cylinders and so avoided that problem.

ANOTHER WINNER MIKE, read my comments on the cylinder press over at CAS City.

Howdy Mike

Another great video. Thanks for showing how you modified the area around the nipples to take a capper.

Thanks too for the information about the 1858 date. I have heard this before but did not remember the details. I will probably still refer to my Remmies as the 1858 model, simply because it is what is popularly recognized. Kind of like not making a big deal over New Vaquero or New Model Vaquero.

I too find that the Remington design tends to bind up much sooner than the Colt design. Thanks for mentioning the fact that the Colt has a wider arbor. Neither gun has a gas bushing or collar on the front of the cylinder to deflect fouling away from the cylinder arbor/pin. But the much wider diameter of the Colt design, plus the addition of helical clearance grooves cut in the arbor serves to distribute fouling better and keep the Colt rolling with Black Powder. I find that either with the percussion cylinder or the R&D conversion cylinder I have to wipe off the front of the cylinders of my Remmies after each cylinder full, or they will begin to bind up from powder fouling. With my 1860 Army Colts I can get through an entire match without any cylinder maintenance and without any binding.

Archived