SASS Wire Forum

Help! Need a Good Gunsmith for Stevens 235

Mad Dog McGee

Hello the fire!, Hope my pards can help. Just got a Stevens 235 double and the Hammers are so hard to pull back that I either get it fixed or I gota get 2 mules to pull'em. Does anyone know or can recommend a good gunsmith that works on doubles? Can't use it unless I get'er fixed.

Thanks in advance! Mad Dog McGee

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

Start with the aforementioned cleaning. Any good CAS gunsmith can work on the Stevens, it's a nice simple double. I have a 235 and enjoy using it. You're a little too far to drop it off with me in North GA but if you're up this way drop a line.

Also unless you are very strong and have large hands cocking both hammers at the same time will be tough no matter what. I cock one as I drop the barrels to begin reloading then the other hammer as I lift up to reshoulder

Joe

:FlagAm: I have had several 235's and could never get them to fire with lighter springs . They have coil springs for the hammers . The main springs from a old style Vaquero are a close match and I have tried them and it won't fire . A pard here on the wire said to grind the od. of the springs but if you ruin them you may be out of luck replacements may be hard to find . I really like shooting them they are a nice small framed gun . If you find a solution please let me know . I shoot a TTN and it is a heavy peace of iron but eassy to cock the hammers . Woodfox

Archived