SASS Wire Forum

how to spot ligit trapdoor carbine

Trigger Mike

Worth? Unless its pristine, they run all over. During the early 20th Century, one could buy them from department, hardware stores, out of barrels for a couple bucks, rifles for less. In the early 70s Dixie Gunwork bought truckloads of rifle and carbines from armories. They were selling the rifles for 35.00, carbines for 55.00. If you drove to their store in Union City, you could pick yours out.

Couple years ago, I bought 2 rifles for 525.00 to 950.00. A carbine in perfect condition for 1100.00. Prices less then a repro, or newly made. There are a lot of carbines out there, expertly made from rifles. Beware. MT

The following came from an American Rifleman article on a Trapdoor carbine from this year in January :

Attend any decent-size gun show and chances are you’ll come across an 1873 Trapdoor Carbine (the only version to sport a stacking swivel) or subsequent variations, which include the Models 1877 (the first with a two-piece cleaning rod in the butt), 1879 (with buckhorn rear sight), and 1884 (with Buffington rear sight). Although trapdoor rifles were also produced, the 22-inch-barreled .45-70 Gov’t carbines command the most interest and value, due to their association with the U.S. Cavalry and the taming of the American West. Trapdoor carbines were also used in the Spanish-American War, and refurbished arms were issued to National Guard units as late as the 1920s.

Carbines were fitted with a stock-mounted bar and saddle ring, to be hooked to a leather sling worn diagonally across a trooper’s body, thus curtailing accidental loss from the saddle. Numerous changes were made to the carbine during its 20-year service in the Army, encompassing triggers, lockplates, breechblocks, stampings, hammers, and rear sights. Befitting military guns, parts were interchangeable and today it is rare to find a trapdoor in “as-issued” condition. Plus, many rifles were made into faux-carbines in later years.

There were 60,912 carbines made from 1873 to 1893. Those with serial numbers below 43,700 are known as “Custer Guns,” as there is a possibility they saw action at the Little Big Horn, but easily swapped parts mean “buyer beware”—authenticated guns are rare. Nonetheless, values of any carbine in decent condition have risen dramatically in recent years.

I avoided getting scammed by buying a H&R Carbine. Mint bore, trapdoor hinges not cracked and worn, modern steel and best of all much cheaper than a original. Since I am not a collector and was wanting a hunting rifle that I can play around with both smokeless and BP loads in it meets my needs.

Archived