SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Gunsmithing Question

Old Scatterbrain

I have several "old" Vaqueros. Some of them I have shot extensively, and they are well-worn with pretty bad rings around the cylinder. I also have a couple which are virtually new-in-box, which I would like to shoot, but I don't want to score the cylinder. I seem to recall reading quite a few years back a reference to adjusting the timing so that the cylinder latch did not contact the cylinder until much closer to the notch. Has anyone heard of or done this?

As they leave the factory "all" ruger vaqueros and blackhawks get a ring around the cylinder due to the timing of the cylinder stop.

I recall a thread where a gunsmith (I cannot remember the name.) was credited with being able to retime the cylinder stop so it wouldn't drag and leave the ring. This would change the timing of the gun in general. (And may have other affects.) Bottom line, I am not sure it is worth it.

Just my view from this side of the saddle.

Personally, I just ignore the rings.

All the fastest shooters I've met who shoot super-tuned Roogers have rings... and just accepted them as normal.

I have a pair of Blackhawks that I've had since the early 70's... they have rings, and I'm sure not worried 'bout wearing a groove down to the chambers! ^_^

If you don't like the cly. "ring", then leave it in the box ;)

All "wheel" guns get one to some point.

LG

But not nearly so bad. My Cimarrons are developing small dents on the edge of the scalloped area leading into the notch, because that is where the bolt "drops". The Rugers are scored nearly the full circumference.

Personally, I just ignore the rings.

All the fastest shooters I've met who shoot super-tuned Roogers have rings... and just accepted them as normal.

I have a pair of Blackhawks that I've had since the early 70's... they have rings, and I'm sure not worried 'bout wearing a groove down to the chambers! ^_^

I know they are normal, and offer no detriment the integrity or function of the gun. As I said, my beaters are pretty badly scarred. It's just that these two I would like to keep a little more nicerly looking.

Howdy,

If you want rugers with no rings just sell yours and buy three screw blackhawks.

OR.

Ship your rugers to West Fargo for him to delete the transfer bar and its

associated safety parts, buff out the rings and refinish the cylinders.

Or.

Just ignore the rings.

Best

CR

Yep, Rugers from 1974 up get rings. All my Rugers are 3 screw models and have perfect timing and don't have rings. I've been shooting them in Sass and Cowboy Action for 25+ years.

Big Jake

Archived