SASS Wire Forum

A Good Whiskey

Ben Bitten

Both my mother and my father-in-law like whiskey sours - so this year for the holidays my wife and I thought we'd try our hand and making our own for them. However, whiskey is not something my wife or I drink frequently (if I want something stiff I usually go for tequila (an none of that chaser crap neither ;) )).

So, I'm looking for recommendations - what's a good whiskey?

Irish whiskeys, like Powers, Tullamore Dew, Jameson's, are triple distilled and milder than bourbon or scotch.

Good neat, with ice, or mixed.

Whiskey sours are typically made with bourbon or rye.

For a good "mixing" bourbon try Buffalo Trace or Makers Mark. In a rye Sazarac would be my choice.

EC

Knob Creek or Makers Mark (they are small batch and very good)

and just plain old Jack Danels Black label

Jameson is my favorite but the only thing that should go in the glass with it is ice and or water.

Slim

Wild Turkey makes a fine 101 proof RYE, tho all I would ever mix it with would be water (and just a splash. I like a nice Bin Laden after a hard day's work. 2 shots and a splash of water!)

FWIW...YMMV

SOso

Jameson is my favorite but the only thing that should go in the glass with it is ice and or water.

Slim

I used to think that way about some of them - too good to use as a mixer. Then I started thinking about cooking with wine, if you don't want to drink it, why cook with it? A superior whiskey will (usually) give you a superior drink. I know that is anathema to many, but once you get past the initial shock of even considering using a 25 year old Macallan for a mixed drink it makes sense.

Now, you have to be careful. I like Bowmore, very smoky and a touch salty. I tried that to make a Godfather (scotch and amaretto) and it was horrible. The salt clashed with the amaretto. But other smoky scotches worked well.

I used to think that way about some of them - too good to use as a mixer. Then I started thinking about cooking with wine, if you don't want to drink it, why cook with it? A superior whiskey will (usually) give you a superior drink. I know that is anathema to many, but once you get past the initial shock of even considering using a 25 year old Macallan for a mixed drink it makes sense.

Now, you have to be careful. I like Bowmore, very smoky and a touch salty. I tried that to make a Godfather (scotch and amaretto) and it was horrible. The salt clashed with the amaretto. But other smoky scotches worked well.

Exactly. If you are the type who enjoys mixed drinks, using cheap ingredients will only render an inferior result.

I enjoy Makers Mark and Bulleit for bourbon but I'm not against an occasional Jack Daniels.

For Tequila I like makers such as Don Julio. NOT Cuervo.

In an Irish I like Clontarf. Velvety smooth.

As soon as the weather turns I may whip up some hot buttered rum and toast Rogers' Rangers. :lol:

Other peoples whiskey!!! :P

Serious? good whiskey in a whiskey sour? Save the good stuff for a glass full of ice

I like Jameson and Tullamore Dew best, followed by Pendelton and Buffalo Trace.

I prefer George Dickle over JD. George isn't as sweet as Jack. Nor Crown for that matter. And I don't touch to-kill-ya!!!!:). And for me, scotch, single blends and a few blended, only need a glass accompanied of course with a fine cigar. Make the glass alittle warm.... Aaaaahhhhhhh... BLISS!!!!!!!!!

Other peoples whiskey!!! :P

Serious? good whiskey in a whiskey sour? Save the good stuff for a glass full of ice

I like Jameson and Tullamore Dew best, followed by Pendelton and Buffalo Trace.

I prefer George Dickle over JD. George isn't as sweet as Jack. Nor Crown for that matter. And I don't touch to-kill-ya!!!!:). And for me, scotch, single blends and a few blended, only need a glass accompanied of course with a fine cigar. Make the glass alittle warm.... Aaaaahhhhhhh... BLISS!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I still think the best use for premium distilled beverages is neat or maybe a splash of water (which can often help bring out some of the flavors) or a little ice (if it is over about 80 degrees).

But, if the urge for a mixed drink hits, why not use the best ingredients you can afford? Yeah, store brand scotch and ginger ale with some of the bottled lime juice will yield something drinkable. But MacCallan, Cock&Bull Ginger Beer, some lime zest and a bit of fresh lime juice is something you will actually enjoy. Hint - make a flavored syrup with lots of grated ginger and lime zest. Strain it and add a spoonful to your drink.

ADDED: Dickle Sour Mash is well worth the price if you can find it.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I much prefer my own... a real fine, sour mash... dated September.

It is a genuine... double-rectified... pop skull. Aged in a keg.... (and holds a bead like no other, I might add).

Other than that... just gimme any of the other, lesser-known, but decent sour mash squeezin's... Jack Daniels, George Dickel, etc.

If you could find this disconinued stuff... buy it up if ya can... Lem Motlow. I got two cases of this stored up for when SHTF happens... and it is the best sour mash ever made... bar none.

ts

Since you are only going to make a few Whiskey Sours for your inlaws, cost should not be a factor.

In this case, I recommend Blanton's bourbon. It is a bit pricy, but it is worth it.

Duffield

I disagree with youse bums. :wacko: Mixing a fine whiskey or bourbon is like drinking a fine wine with a cigar. All of the subtle nuances are lost. Just get a mid-range whiskey or bourbon like Jack Daniels Black Label and mix away. Save the fine stuff for sipping.

I disagree with youse bums. :wacko: Mixing a fine whiskey or bourbon is like drinking a fine wine with a cigar. All of the subtle nuances are lost. Just get a mid-range whiskey or bourbon like Jack Daniels Black Label and mix away. Save the fine stuff for sipping.

Not like we are suggesting 17 or 21 year old Balvine.

And cigars and port are an ancient and honourable tradition!

I like plain ole Evan Williams and it won't bankrupt you either. Going up the scale Bulleit is pretty dang good stuff.

Good answer.

You might substitute Ezra Brooks for Evan Williams as well.

Since you are only going to make a few Whiskey Sours for your inlaws, cost should not be a factor.

In this case, I recommend Blanton's bourbon. It is a bit pricy, but it is worth it.

Duffield

I was a bourbon drinker for years. My day to day preference was Woodford Reserve or Ridgemont Reserve.....my special day bourbon was as someone else had mentioned....Blantens and as they say a bit pricey but if you drink it straight you'll fall in love.

KK

Read my by line for a good mixer !

Bulliet...nice and neat....no ice....no water...no mixer ...period ! ;)

Back in my whiskey drinking days, I preferred Jack Daniels Single Barrel or Gentleman Jack. As I recall, they weren't too pricey and were very smooth.

Glenlivet... I don't drink large amouts, so I go for taste... I like cognac too, warmed .. and good red wine like a good Merlot. I get loaded pretty easy, so I go for taste cuz I can.. And I don't get drunk.. I will get what I call "warm" or "fuzzy".. but nothing more.. so I can dabble with more coslty drinks that way.

+1 On the Bowmore - a great Islay single malt!!

And my favorite ;)

What you mean "good whiskey"? Ain't no such thing as "bad whiskey".

I respectfully disagree! ;) A buddy of mine brought some Canadian Hunter or such to deer camp one time. Cheapest there was on the shelf but passed for alcohol I guess and it smelled and tasted like formalin. On second thought it was drinkable after you let it sit so the formaldehyde would kinda vaporize...took lots of coke to hide the off flavor though. :)

If you feed them the good stuff you run the risk of them wanting to stay.:o

You must ask yourself, "Is it REALLY worth it?"

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Howdy,

Fer mixin seems like most any whiskey is as good as the next.

But it makes sense that better ingredients make a better drink.

Dickle 12 is Tenn. sippin whiskey, says so on de label.

Put into a drink I doubt anyone would complain.

It is considerate to buy from Tenn. or KY as opposed to outside the us.

Best

CR

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I know... I know it truly sad... but let's face the facts....

Both my mother and my father-in-law like whiskey sours

Dam... sure is hard on figgerin' out how to sour-up some good whiskey... we still got a man's job ahead of us.

ts

So many suggestions... Thanks, pards!

I finally went with Maker's Mark. Damn good straight too! Smooth and well flavored.

Archived