SASS Wire Forum

Hell on Wheels

Rye Miles #13621

Geez..I feel like a malcontent...

I've tried watching this series twice...and I just can't get into it.

Most of the writing falls short...or the delivery is off-key, to the point that the words sound inappropriate or the facial expressions don't match.

The "hero" looks like a guy dressed up to play a modern writer's version of a western character (where did they find that hat?)

I'm just not getting it. Not trying to spoil anyone elses's fun...it's just not clickin' for me.

LL

Most of the writing falls short...or the delivery is off-key, to the point that the words sound inappropriate or the facial expressions don't match.

The "hero" looks like a guy dressed up to play a modern writer's version of a western character (where did they find that hat?)

I'm just not getting it. Not trying to spoil anyone elses's fun...it's just not clickin' for me.

LL

I couldn't disagree with your "critique" anymore. I think it's a very well written show. The words and facial expressions are off??? Really? Clothing and guns are historically correct and just the way the whole camp looks I feel like I can almost smell it! I do agree with you on the hat but that's about it!:wacko: Rye

LL

I'm with you. I just haven't figured it out yet.

Overall I'm enjoying it. And with each episode I find myself liking the series more an more. ...Although I have to ask: would the new foreman really be able to just ride off for a couple of days and leave the site - and expect to have a job when he came back? I'm thinking not.

LL

I know what you mean, but It's not really bothering me. And outwardly it looks like he's partially inspired by John Marston - the protagonist from the video game "Red Dead Redemption"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/Thedus/Western/550x-red-dead-redemption-vga2010.jpg

So far, so good... I just hope it doesnt get to be one of those series that becomes more about being "Hell on Wheels" than telling a good story.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to see a episode. I know I will need to the others so I can understand the show. I'll tell you this, it is damned difficult to follow and understand. It may be just me, but right now I don't think it is all that great, one good thing I can say about it is, It's a Western.

Can somebody explain to me why in all the more period correct movies or shows about the old west (guns are great, clothing is fantastic, all is well), BUT, why all the muddy streets with no rain?? Am I missing somthing. I've noticed in some of the older movies the stores and such were built high off the ground. They all have pallets for walkways, but where does the mud come from? I know horses or people can't pee that much.

I finally got to see a episode. I know I will need to the others so I can understand the show. I'll tell you this, it is damned difficult to follow and understand. It may be just me, but right now I don't think it is all that great, one good thing I can say about it is, It's a Western.

Can somebody explain to me why in all the more period correct movies or shows about the old west (guns are great, clothing is fantastic, all is well), BUT, why all the muddy streets with no rain?? Am I missing somthing. I've noticed in some of the older movies the stores and such were built high off the ground. They all have pallets for walkways, but where does the mud come from? I know horses or people can't pee that much.

Mr. Klondike use you're imagination. It just rained the night before the episode you're watching. Pretty simple hey? They just don't show the rainy days or nights!:wacko: Rye

Maybe throw out water from all them fellars and pretty ladies bathing? ;)

BSD

FINALLY got to record the pilot episode , now I know how it started! I like it, especially since westerns ain't exactly common TV fare these days.

Mr. Klondike use you're imagination. It just rained the night before the episode you're watching. Pretty simple hey? They just don't show the rainy days or nights!:wacko: Rye

I thought that could be the answer, but, when they show the area around it is dustbowl dry.

Blue Steel has the other answer I was thinking of. It is always funny to watch the people with their best clothes on and try to walk through the mud.

I did like the two guys always conning somebody, and selling peeps into the bath house.

According to one article I read; it poured rain for the 2 weeks previous to beginning the shoot! They had several scenes in heavy rainfall in the first couple episodes too. Saddle blankets are modern (I hate that) and the shot of the blacksmith pounding cold rebar bugged me but that's just me!

Overall I'm enjoying it. I feel like I've read it somewhere. Especially the part with the whore with the Cheyenne tattoo.

It's not Deadwood but it'll do. :)

I could not agree more !

For a show on regular TV ( not a pay Chanel )its OK !

But like you said ( IT'S NOT DEADWOOD ! )

OK - can somebody tell me what Bohannon was laughing about at the end of last nights episode?

After Lily left him the bucket, he dipped his fingers in it and washed his face.

Then he tasted it.

Was he laughing about the pepper? Was it not water in the bucket?

I'm down in Corpus Christi in a hotel room so I can't watch it again until I go home (another two weeks).

OK - can somebody tell me what Bohannon was laughing about at the end of last nights episode?

After Lily left him the bucket, he dipped his fingers in it and washed his face.

Then he tasted it.

Was he laughing about the pepper? Was it not water in the bucket?

I'm down in Corpus Christi in a hotel room so I can't watch it again until I go home (another two weeks).

He tasted his fingers after he wiped his eye. It was on the wrapping on Elam's hands. Sean McGinnis gave it to Elam's corner.

Swede freaks me out.

He's great! Like a Swedish, old western, Boris Karlov. :lol:

He tasted his fingers after he wiped his eye. It was on the wrapping on Elam's hands. Sean McGinnis gave it to Elam's corner.

That's what I thought - but can't for the life of me figure out what he thought was funny...

That's what I thought - but can't for the life of me figure out what he thought was funny...

Maybe he thought it was funny because that was the only way the guy could beat him, so in his mind he won! Kinda twisted logic but he's a little bit twisted anyway, that's why I like his character. Good show!:)

Sardonic. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Any of you guys that can watch this "on Demand" there is an extra 4 min clip about the train. It is made of styrofoam, wood and other assorted detritus and with the magic of cinema, IT LOOKS REAL! Then another clip about how the trans-continental railroad was the "moon landing" of that time period.

Rolling Stone

Best line this episode.

"But I'm from Norway" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I am just slow, but I never got into the show. I watch a trailer and didn't get much excitement from that and then I watched about fifteen minutes of it and thought, What??

Glad you fellers are enjoying it.

I guess I am just slow, but I never got into the show. I watch a trailer and didn't get much excitement from that and then I watched about fifteen minutes of it and thought, What??

Glad you fellers are enjoying it.

Even Wildcat enjoys this one.

My Dad told me that's the reason they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Different strokes for different folks. I personally can't watch much of the Magnificent Seven or its after births.

Utah Bob, you're right about Norway. Maybe it's shorter and faster saying Swede instead of Norwegian. Yumpin' yimminey, you betcha'.

Rolling Stone

Archived