SASS Wire Forum

Did you ever notice?

McCandless

That when you drop a screw, or part, from something you are working on, it will immediately roll, bounce, or otherwise travel to the deepest most inaccessible part of the floor under the work area. That, since it's a black part on a dark floor, you need a flashlight, and your flashlights all need recharging, or new batteries?

Did you notice that when you put something down and walk away for a minute, it automatically moves and hides itself, so you can't find it with out cussing, wasting time, and hunting in dozens of nooks and oddball places??

You don't notice these things so much when you're younger but with age comes enhanced observation skills and the realization that strange forces are at work in the universe.

I've always thought that the ideal gun room would be made with a with concave floor and all cabinets be mounted up on 3" legs.

Lighted baseboards wouldn't be a bad idea either. :lol:

Or how you can be working on something, go after a tool and it's magically disappeared. Then you spend a couple of hours looking for it, give up and head to the store and get another. And you return only to find the tool you were searching for 3 feet away from where you were working.

Utah Bob,

Thanks for the idea!! I just went out to the work shed and brought in a small old under-cabinet fluorescent light fixture (yeah, I'm a pack rat) and mounted it under my "man-cave's" desk. Where I normally play...err...rebuild my pistols. I like it!

Thanks!

The less enlightened in life think "inanimate" objects are not alive. Having worked around some kind of machinery my whole life, I not only know they are indeed alive, but most seem to possess a very wicked sense of humor.

Tools:

Pliers: use to round off bolt heads and sometimes to create blood blisters.

Pry bar: a tool used to crumple and mash the material surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove to replace a 50 cent part.

Hammer: originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as kind of a divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent to the object we are trying to hit.

Drill Press: A tall upright machne useful for suddenly snatching that stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your newly opened beer across the room, denting the freshly finished panel you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it...

Or how you can be working on something, go after a tool and it's magically disappeared. Then you spend a couple of hours looking for it, give up and head to the store and get another. And you return only to find the tool you were searching for 3 feet away from where you were working.

Can't tell ya how many times that has happened to me!

Ah crescent wrenches.

My father bought a set of japanese crescent wrenches in the late 1950s. We were working on a large heavy disc harrow when he began to experience the jaw widening that the cheap 14" ones do. I in my teenage wisdom sat down on the far side of the machine to avoid the wrath I saw coming.

He reached the breaking point and with a curse he hurled the offending wrench as hard as he could toward the distant fence row. Unfortunately his little finger caught in the hole in the handle of the wrench and turned the trajectory toward the middle of my back. The wrench landed between my shoulder blades hurling me to the ground on my face.

I awoke some 30 minutes later, positive that I was dying. He also thought that might be the case but since I had started breathing again, he decided maybe I would live. I did and had no ill effects from the injury.

One of many things for which I never received an apology.

One of many things for which I never received an apology.

There is a list I don't want to start on!!!

Oh, and you should try to find the parts for plastic models! T-I-N-Y !!!

That when you drop a screw, or part, from something you are working on, it will immediately roll, bounce, or otherwise travel to the deepest most inaccessible part of the floor under the work area. That, since it's a black part on a dark floor, you need a flashlight, and your flashlights all need recharging, or new batteries?

Did you notice that when you put something down and walk away for a minute, it automatically moves and hides itself, so you can't find it with out cussing, wasting time, and hunting in dozens of nooks and oddball places??

Ever day Pard- Ever day----------------

That when you drop a screw, or part, from something you are working on, it will immediately roll, bounce, or otherwise travel to the deepest most inaccessible part of the floor under the work area.

And trying to get back up after crawling into that inaccessible area can lead to a few choice words as well... :blush:

And trying to get back up after crawling into that inaccessible area can lead to a few choice words as well... :blush:

Especially if you try to stand up too soon and hit your head on the drawer you left open because you looked there first and didn't close it.

Howdy......

I worked in heavy truck and trailer parts and repair for 39 years....you ain't telling me nothin new.....Now I'm retired... :lol:

Vern / Foothills...

Ah yes; our good friend Mr. Murphy at his finest.:D I've also found that if I need some attaching hardware, (nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) that I don't have, I should get more than I need. If I need four, for instance, I get five. If I only get the four I need, SOMETHING will inevitably go wrong, and I will find myself going back for another one.:angry: If I get more than I need, nothing will go wrong, and I'll have spare parts. :blink:

My checkbook crawls under the bills I need to pay. Of course, I don't bother to pick them up unless I have my checkbook in my hand.

:wub: :wub: Miss Barbara :wub: :wub: was doing bills one night and had accumulated a large stack of opened envelopes. She scooped them up and started to tear them up to put in the waste can.

She has me deposit my own paycheck now! :o

Boy, I just got an idee. Before I retired, I took home a few large magnetic ads (when the promo was over ;) ) I'll lay one of those out on my bench and cover it with a white sheet when I'm working on my guns. It'll keep everything on the bench. (except maybe those pesky flying springs)

TF

My problem is that when I get back from the store with the tool I was looking for, I forgot what I was working on. :lol::lol:

My problem is that when I get back from the store with the tool I was looking for, I forgot what I was working on. :lol::lol:

I do that too, except that when I get back from the store the thing I was working on has wandered off and found a hiding place.

We have this strange force at work in our house. Bucky can spend 15 minutes looking for something, then when I look for it, it just appears! Just like that. Hmmm.

I think you're just hiding them from him. :P

The best cure for this problem is this:

Become a drummer in a country, southern rock, classic rock band and build up about twenty years of experience.

Any drummer on here knows what I'm talking about!!!!

Drop a wing nut off of one of your stands and look for it in the dark while the rest of the band waits on you to start the first set.

I learned on my first night out to watch it as it falls and follow it when it bounces!!

:blush:

Twenty plus years and I've never lost one!

~EE Taft~

...One of many things for which I never received an apology.

My Dad was the same way

BUT

The few times (counted on one hand) he introduced me as his Son with his arm on my shoulder and the one time he told me he loved me more then made for any lack of apologies

Dad spoke few words but those few words carried a lot of meaning

...Did you notice that when you put something down and walk away for a minute, it automatically moves and hides itself,..

Yep

I can walk in from work and lay a bright red widget on the kitchen counter. Then walk upstairs to change clothes. Walk back down to the kitchen and the widget is gone!

It's just the wife, myself and 2 blasted Yankee cats in the house.

I ask the wife, "where's the bright red widget that I laid here?". She has no idea what I'm talking about

A year later buried in a box in the basement I find it !?

"Oh. Is that what you was looking for last year", shel'll ask

Archived