SASS Wire Forum

Wnchester 1886 S# question

Doc Windshadow

in this photo you can see the S# of my Winchester 1886 45-70 rifle (Straight stock crescent but plate and round nitro steel barrel )

http://gallery.me.com/windshadow#100230&view=mosaic&bgcolor=black&sel=9

my question refers to the tiny letter A at the end of the number. does it have any meaning or significance ?

Cheers

Windy

I don't have the answer to your question but the pictures of the rifle make me whimper.

The year of manufacture for serial number 130xxx is 1903.

From here:

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

(thanks to Drifter Johnson who posted it on another thread)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Thanks Gunner My Grandfather bought it new when he was at law school (You can steal a lot more with law books than you can with guns and it is safer) so I knew the date it is the tiny letter A that has me wondering I noticed it when I was cleaning the gun and I had never seen it before, so thought I would ask the assembled experts here.

and thanks NOZ almost all of my good guns are ones that came down in the family :)

Thanks Gunner My Grandfather bought it new when he was at law school (You can steal a lot more with law books than you can with guns and it is safer) so I knew the date it is the tiny letter A that has me wondering I noticed it when I was cleaning the gun and I had never seen it before, so thought I would ask the assembled experts here.

and thanks NOZ almost all of my good guns are ones that came down in the family :)

That was your Grandpa's rifle?? - That is high in the 'COOL factor :)

That was your Grandpa's rifle?? - That is high in the 'COOL factor :)

Yup as are my .45 SAA that was made in 1876(an 1890s Artillery conversion that he bought from Banermans in about 1905) and a 1902 Colt .32ACP and a Parker Trojan grade 16GA and even a few pistols that were His mothers such as a .25 ACP colt I need to properly photograph and catalog all of my guns this winter I do have serial number lists of course but I need to document each gun properly. The winchester and SAA he bought before he headed west to his firsts Job at a Law firm in Montana or that is what my Dad Told me.

Archived