SASS Wire Forum

The eating season is upon us,

Rocky Meadows, SASS#18501

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Our family starts out watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade and skipping breakfast as not to waste valuable food space!! The horsdoeuvres come out around 10 or 11:00am and keep coming out. Then a few cocktails are consummed. Alright A LOT of cocktails are had. Our dinner has become so large that we have it spread out buffet style on another table now. Along with all the traditional dishes I cook I always try a new one each year some are winners and have to be made every year, hense the buffet thing mentioned. -_- Everyone gets a doggie bag at my house. Good thing to because it would not all fit into the fridge. :huh:

We start eating around 2:00pm and by 3:30 I have done my job ;) and there are bodies sprauled out all over the house, loosening their belts, undoing the top button and letting their turkey stuffed bulging bellies hang out. The older family members are snoozing on the couch not fazed by the loud cheering over the football game!!

SO, now let me hear your family traditions and recipes. What's on your table? Who's at your house?

Oh, and I don't wanna hear this belongs in the saloon. we need a little hloiday spirit in all forums....just sayin! ;)

I have been adopted by my Aunt and female cousins when it comes to the Holidays, so whatever they cook is what I eat. ;) And can they cook! Then sit around with all the male cousins and such watching the Cowboys play Detroit or whoever, all of us with our pants unbuckled.

Rocky bring some of dat Ham to the Badlands we'll take care of it for ya... If you have left over fruit Hank loves everything now and Dooley will clean up the rest.Gotta get a pig to feed out and kill for next years CAC parking lot wars.....See ya this weekend. Bring some samples to the Range. Oh yea, you and Noah won the most outrageous costumes at CAC. I have your Buckles... Thanks

Me the wife and 2 kids with girlfriends. Actually we have 5 kids, but 1 lives in Tucson, the other in Baton Rouge. Won't see them this year. Youngest is 19 at LSU. Going to have Turkey, stuffing, and all the trimmings. Also since I'm Italian, we're having baked lasagne and Italian sausage. I gotta watch it though, don't wanna outgrow my rig.

My wife and I live too far away from the kids to do a family type dinner for T'giving and prefer to be there at Christmas. Add to that the fact that I really dislike turkey. Whilst in college, my fraternity served it at least 3 times a week as it was cheap and that has sort of put me off it for 35 years. So, we have a "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner as we define traditional every year. While we have not yet decided what this year's tradition will be, in the past we have had the traditional Thanksgiving lobster, buffalo tenderloin, venison, rib roast, and others.

Miz Rocky, what's your address again?????? :)

+1! We can't be too far from you! :-)

...So, we have a "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner as we define traditional every year. While we have not yet decided what this year's tradition will be, in the past we have had the traditional Thanksgiving lobster, buffalo tenderloin, venison, rib roast, and others.

That all sounds like a great idea to me.

We do a traditional turkey dinner once a year. This year(just me and Lorrie) was the second week in October.

For Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter we allow the grand kids the opportunity to pick the menu.

Last year we had Pork Roast for Thanksgiving, Chicken and Dumplings(my recipe) for Christmas and Stroganoff for Easter.

Works for us.

This year we are going to Memphis for dinner with my eldest daughter's significant other.

Often Miz Grizz and I will go down to her mom's about an hour and a half away. This year, she is going there, and I am spending the holiday with my mom, sister, and brother in law, we'll go out to eat early (as that's when we could get reservations) and then maybe a drive in the mountains and a stop at our cabin for a little gun shooting.

+1! We can't be too far from you! :-)

That all sounds like a great idea to me.

Thanks Bear. I did forget to include the traditional Thanksgiving pheasant - as close as I'll come to turkey.

Well, Rocky...I wuz gonna make your recipe for Apple Pie but the family is gonna have to settle for my MIL's recipe for cornbread stuffing at my parents house in Atlanta,GA.

Gotta bake the corn bread a few days in advance but it's gonna be good.

Have a happy...

Charlie

PS...I forgot to tell you at CAC that I made a slightly more lethal batch over in Germany and the folks couldn't get enough of it. They LOVED it!! (I WAS KINDA PARTIAL TO IT MEOWNSELF)

CC

...we'll be at my cousin's house early Thanksgiving afternoon... we're bringing brocolli/rice/cheese casserole and "green stuff" dessert.

"green stuff" - a frozen lime cream over oreo cookies crust.. ...is my favorite any time of year...

...and then there will be lots of turkey, dressing, gravy, yams, greens, beans, ho-made yeast rolls, real butter, and great friends/family/cousins.... ...and football

Speaking of Rocky's Apple Pie recipe....

tell me that recipe again please

I have two very different recipes I'm planning to try ...

but I think I remember Rocky telling me she used to make a real complicated one but discovered the easy one actually tastes better....

I might be remembering the conversation slightly askew

...that's what happens when you get 3 blondes drinkin pie together

Me and the misses are driving from Georgia to Houston (Katy) to spend Thanksgiving week with my brothers and sister. My sister-in-law tells me the menu is turducken, chicken & sausage gumbo, dirty rice, potato salad, baked yams, green bean casserole and garlic French bread. Dessert will be whatever the women bake up and its always pretty good.

And on top of that I found that the Tejas Pistoleros will be shooting the Sat. after Thanksgiving. I'm packing my gun cart and shootin irons and if the weather holds out I hope to go out to their range and get in some shooting with those fine folks.

Greenbean Casserole...

I've tasted a couple....not good

Does anyone have a GOOD recipe for greenbean casserole?

Ingredients

• 1/3 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup diced onions
  • 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 2 cups sliced green beans
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings
  • Pinch House Seasoning, recipe follows
  • 1 cup grated Cheddar

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter. Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes and drain. Add the green beans, mushroom soup, onion rings, and House Seasoning, to taste, to the onion mixture. Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, then top the casserole with the Cheddar and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the casserole is hot and cheese is melted.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Happy Thanksgiving Miss Rocky!!

My dad takes his stuffing very seriously. None of that southern cornbread stuffing. He grows his own sage, buys sourdough bread crumbs from a local bakery. It's his passion!!

CPK

Ya'll can come to my house...I"M GOING TO HANGFIRE'S!!

Lady e-mail me and I'll send it to you....and yes the simpler recipe was the best. ;)

Charlie darlin, that is a good recipe. It has been swilled at EoT by many for over a decade! :lol:B)

....and my little spicey Pepper, I am serious about my stuffing too. I might add your dady's and my recipe start out the same.

Going to my Sisters house in Springfield Mo. Her son and family are flying in.

Mom and Stepdad coming over. As they don't live very far away.

Both my girls and there familys are going up also. Something we all try and do every year.

We eat around noon. As that is as long as some of us can wait. Pass out in a turkey coma for awhile.

Then some tennis, basketball, something between us ends up happening sometime over the few days we are

all together. Looking forward to it.

Wife is making the dressing. Turkey, dressing, gravy. That's all I need. Leave the rest.

It will also be 18 years on the 24th. That I tricked the wife into saying "I DO" :wub:

Not sure how she has done it. But she is still here. :rolleyes:

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Rocky, thanks for asking. It gave me to pause and reflect upon all that I have to be thankful for.

At our house Thanksgiving starts Wednesday evening. My son, daughter-in-law and 6 year old grandson will be arriving from Asheville. The other 2 kids will be with their dad this year and will be missed. I will be baking pumpkin and cherry pies.

Thursday morning I will be up early to walk the dog and start the grill upon which I will grill/smoke the turkey and ham with apple wood.

Mid morning my daughter, son-in-law and 2 children (5 & 3) will arrive. Mama and our daughters will put together the rest of the meal, dressing, potatoes, vegetables, rolls etc. While the 3 kids play and chase about the house supervised by their dads. The TV will be on and the noise level of playing children will be high.

We'll eat about 1 or 2PM and graze the rest of the day/evening.

Our gathering is smaller in numbers this year because of my 2 grand kids being with their dad and my niece/daughter has a new beau and will be traveling to visit his family I wish her a safe and blessed trip.

Many a year we've had extended family, friends and co-workers share Thanksgiving with us when they've they were going to be alone or without plans.

I am thankful that we can get together as a family and for all that we have.

Pretty much the same traditional menu as Rocky, few twists. Use Rice bread for stuffing and cornstarch to thicken gravy - must be gluten free. All the local family shows up and really just about anyone else that wants to come is welcome. Turkey Day and Christmas are not ones where folks should be alone. Anne makes apple pies with gluten free crusts using granny smith apples. One of the sisters usually makes a green bean casserole from scratch not using cream of mushroom soup (contains wheat) sorta sautes mushrooms and makes her own cream sauce - darn good actually. Uses slivered almonds to provide the cruch as the french fried onions are out.

Closing on our new house TODAY(Friday). Gonna try to get enough furniture moved in this weekend to have our Thanksgiving dinner in the new place. Deep fried turkey, Honey Baked spiral cut ham and all the trimmings. Will be our new grand daughter's first Thanksgiving! LOTS to be thankful for at the Gnatsass household.

Oh, yeah, then gonna head out early Friday morning for Sparta and the Mose'n'Bella Turkey Shoot! WOOHOO! :D

Archived