SASS Wire Forum

Mother-in-law hooked ! Now what?

DerekM

I was at my Mother in law's farm a couple of weekends ago and brought my SASS Vaqueros and an extra holster. After a day spent walking around with a cowboy gun on her side she is hooked and has to have one. I have found her a holster and am now looking for a gun. I have decided on a New Vaquero but have questions on how I should proceed. After talking to my local gunsmith he suggested that I give her only stock gun with no action job or new springs. This gun will be mostly for plinking but it will be for self defense if the situation arises.

I understand his concerns but would like to get the opinion of some others. I want my Mother in law to get as much enjoyment out of her gun as possible, but don't want her kids coming after me if she shoots herself,or the law if she shoots someone else. I was thinking I would have it polished and deburred and let her decide whether or not to swap the springs but mabey that should be her decision.

I would like to hear some opinions on this subject and how others would handle it.

Thanks Barley Brewer SASS 90538

I have replaced the main spring on my New Vaquero. I have shot 3 or 400 rounds of factory Silver Tips and my hot reloads. Gun runs great,and with 250gr. ammo shoots to point of aim. No light hits.

An action job is not going to be the cause of her shooting herself!!

Lighten everything up for her, she will enjoy it much more. Make sure you take the time with her after you do and who knows you might just have another SASS member in the making if ya do. ;)

There is no harm in smoothing up the action and lightening the hammer spring. However if this is to be (potentially) used for self defense, make sure that whoever does the work on the gun keeps the trigger pull at 4-5lbs.

Having said that, there are better choices out there for the self defense role, a Springfield XD which has the grip safety, would make a good choice for a novice.

I would leave the revolver bone stock for now. A stock revolver is just fine and at the stage of experience she is at now. See if she really shoots it, still enjoys it and can afford the ammo, or will it be a dust collector in a drawer. If she take to shooting like a duck to water, then go ahead with action job work.

Enthusiasm may dwindle when she starts purchasing ammo.,,, hope not.

Anyway, it is a good start.

Blastmaster

I would leave the revolver bone stock for now. A stock revolver is just fine and at the stage of experience she is at now. See if she really shoots it, still enjoys it and can afford the ammo, or will it be a dust collector in a drawer. If she take to shooting like a duck to water, then go ahead with action job work.

Enthusiasm may dwindle when she starts purchasing ammo.,,, hope not.

Anyway, it is a good start.

Blastmaster

+1 No need to spend the money. My wife shoots stock NMV's and they work just fine.

If she plans to use it for self defense I'd leave it stock, I shot stock NMV's for about a year and they were fine. I can't provide an answer as to why but in my experience most stainless Rugers have been smoother than blued ones.

Back to the main reason I leave it stock, it's the same reason I only carry factory ammo in a self defense weapon, to help it be as lawyer proof as possible. If she had to use it in a self defefense situation, some young DA in court would say

"Ms ?????, you weren't satisfied with guns available on the market, you had to have a specially customized 'Killer Gun'".

Just my 2cents.

Randy

Archived