SASS Wire Forum

OT - Mossberg enters the AR market

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

Hmmm one of these days I'm gonna break down and buy one of the black things. I haven't shot one in years because I personally prefer the tougher ak. Mossberg shotguns are tough as nails hopefully they bring that quality to the ar platform

Generally the only fault I have found with any of my 3 mossberg shotguns or the 308 bolt gun is they did not cost enough to have any snob appeal.

Shoot where you point them and the rifle groups pretty well.

I always liked the Black rifle only problems I ever had in 22 months RVN and subsquent 10 years as an infantry officer were magazine related. 20 rounder feed lips can spring leading to the really hard to fix double feed.

Problem corrected with 30 round mag. Tab on back welded to lips. Took Ft Gordon Rifle match 2 years running with an Arms Room rifle that would shoot 2 min at 400 yards. 8 inch circle definately minute of chest. In my high power days a lot of my friends could shoot in the high 90s at 600 with an AR. Some even shot them in 1000 yard matches and did ok. Many with tricked out mouse guns could shoot in the high master range. That will never happen with the AK. Only AKs I ever fired used up about 8 inches at 100

How come nobody besides Saiga puts out copies of the AK!!!!

You mean no big manufacturer like Colt or S&W?

Probably because there are so many affordable Aks on the market. The market for a super high quality Ak probably ids very small.

I know I wouldn't buy one.

You mean no big manufacturer like Colt or S&W?

Probably because there are so many affordable Aks on the market. The market for a super high quality Ak probably ids very small.

I know I wouldn't buy one.

Bob bob Bob, putting High Quality and AK in the same sentence :unsure: ??? The whole point of an AK is it's Not High Quality but WORKS!!!

Bob bob Bob, putting High Quality and AK in the same sentence :unsure: ??? The whole point of an AK is it's Not High Quality but WORKS!!!

I know.I guess I misunderstood your question.

notice they also have a 22lr black rifle. Cheapest one out there I believe. Hopefully the 223s are also economical.

Notice they now have the 464 in 22lr but no pistol calibers yet.

Anybody try either the Onyx or Silver Reserve doubles? They look like veritable wands.

How come nobody besides Saiga puts out copies of the AK!!!!

There's lots of copies of the AK. One of the best, if not the best, is made right here in the USA by Arsenal. http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/home.php

Very high quality, but not cheap.

I took a look at their .22 caliber AR look-alike it was very low quality,I hope the .223 vesion is a whole lot diffeent. btw,it says fixed stock,but it looks like an adj. stock.Bad idea if it's really fixed but looks adjustable,folks just won't like being 'fooled'.

I took a look at their .22 caliber AR look-alike it was very low quality,I hope the .223 vesion is a whole lot diffeent. btw,it says fixed stock,but it looks like an adj. stock.Bad idea if it's really fixed but looks adjustable,folks just won't like being 'fooled'.

One version does have a fixed stock that looks like the adjustable stock. (maybe to be Cali-compliant or whatever, I dunno) Other versions have collapsible stocks.

Too bad the 22lr is not up to snuff.

My only issue with the Mossberg AR is a small one -- the company (probably as a per-unit cost saving measure) omits the dust cover.

Looks like the dust cover is there to me...

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/65015.jpg

GG ~ :FlagAm:

notice they also have a 22lr black rifle. Cheapest one out there I believe. Hopefully the 223s are also economical.

Notice they now have the 464 in 22lr but no pistol calibers yet.

Anybody try either the Onyx or Silver Reserve doubles? They look like veritable wands.

Lone Dog

I haven't tried eith but likely wouldn't as I prefer a straight "English" grip on my bird guns.

Cannot imagine an AR without the dust cover. That is virtually guarantying problems

Duct tape...

:P

At least the 'tactical' models have the DC.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Hmmm one of these days I'm gonna break down and buy one of the black things. I haven't shot one in years because I personally prefer the tougher ak. Mossberg shotguns are tough as nails hopefully they bring that quality to the ar platform

Yeah, I just did - it's being upgraded some from the basic model and will be very cool - and not all black, I have some parts in OD on there.

I know the AK is tougher, etc - but my recent experiences shooting AKs were just, well, a big yawn, so although i always wanted one I switched to the AR instead. I didn't need it, hell, I have a 20 year old M1A that has never had a round through it (I'm lazy and I like cowboy guns and hunting guns and carry pistols more so I never dragged it out) but the AK, well, it looks like fun to me now, i sort of converted myself to it, so there you have it.

As for quality AKs, someone mentioned Arsenal and, believe me, Red Jacket makes them as well, and Arsenal actually has one of Red Jacket's AKs in their stock - they did last time I looked, anyway.

***Nubbins***

Not long ago I bought an AR stripped lower and a set of internals for it. I need to buy a butt assembly. (RGuns has the stripped lowers for $65 if this sort of project interests you). My winter project this year is building the lower, but I'm having trouble finding the M16-A1 style butt assembly I want.

Ultimately, I'll run several uppers on this in various calibers -- sort of a semi-auto TC Contender, but the first one I want to build is to duplicate the weight/shape of the M16A1 I carried in basic training 25 years ago. Then I think I'd like a second upper in .260. Beyond that, who knows? The .458 SOCOM looks fun, and I have a friend who has an AR in that caliber. The .30 Whisper would be neat, but I don't live in a silencer friendly state.

Not long ago I bought an AR stripped lower and a set of internals for it. I need to buy a butt assembly. (RGuns has the stripped lowers for $65 if this sort of project interests you). My winter project this year is building the lower, but I'm having trouble finding the M16-A1 style butt assembly I want.

Ultimately, I'll run several uppers on this in various calibers -- sort of a semi-auto TC Contender, but the first one I want to build is to duplicate the weight/shape of the M16A1 I carried in basic training 25 years ago. Then I think I'd like a second upper in .260. Beyond that, who knows? The .458 SOCOM looks fun, and I have a friend who has an AR in that caliber. The .30 Whisper would be neat, but I don't live in a silencer friendly state.

Like this'n?

Threads like this create psychological turmoil for me...I know ARs and 1911s are good guns, and as a shooting enthusiast I should be lusting after both. But I don't own either one, and just can't get excited about them.

Maybe you guys can tell me how to overcome this glaring flaw in my character!

Threads like this create psychological turmoil for me...I know ARs and 1911s are good guns, and as a shooting enthusiast I should be lusting after both. But I don't own either one, and just can't get excited about them.

I've always wanted a good 1911, and I don't currently own one (a flaw I hope to remedy in the upcoming year). I'm with you on AR's -- yawn -- but the idea of building my own appealed to me (and I'm trying to put together a collection of the cartridge firing infantry rifles from the 1870s to the 1970s, in civilian legal shooting trim).

Just go get one. Like a fungus they tend to grow on you, and you may find they are as prolific as rabbits and tend to multiply in the Safe

Yeah-- but I need all the internals, too, and the A-1 and A-2 buffer assemblies aren't interchangeable.

I saw an A-1 buffer assembly advertised somewhere. If I recall it I'll send you a link.

I saw an A-1 buffer assembly advertised somewhere. If I recall it I'll send you a link.

I'd appreciate it. They were common as sand two years ago, and now I can't find one anywhere (unless I spend $700 for a complete parts kit, and I hope to have less than that in the finished rifle).

Yeah-- but I need all the internals, too, and the A-1 and A-2 buffer assemblies aren't interchangeable.

Clarify.

The buffer tubes are the same. The A2's longer stock necessitates a plastic spacer on the tail end of the tube, inside the stock.

The buffers themselves are the same too, sort of. There are all different types of buffers with solid weights, shot weights, weights of different mass et cetera but their selection is not related to the A1/A2 stock differences.

Collapsible stocks do take different buffers and tubes, and I think some aftermarket collapsible stocks take their own buffers/tubes.

Archived