SASS Wire Forum

58 Remmy conversion pros-cons

Takoda Ray

I have a Uberti 58 Remington Navy in 36 cal. I see that Taylor Arms has a 38 caliber conversion cylinder for it for $240.00.That seems to be a pretty good hunk of change so I am wondering,what are the pros and cons to the conversion.Anybody have any input or experience with their conversions ?

Well ........ 36 and .38 are two different bullet diameters. .38 is .357 and .36 is .375 so your not going to get any accuracy unless you sleeve the barrel or shoot hollow base bullets. I would personally recommend the Kirst Konverter rather than the R & D unit. The R & D conversion cylinder has firing pin issues.

Coffinmaker

PS: The conversion may or may not "drop in." Kirst/Strite will fit it for you if necessary.

I have 3 sets of R&D cylinders for three different pistols, Uberti and Poetta 58 Remmie's and Ruger Old Armies. No firing pin problems and only in one instance did a cylinder fit too tight. I took care of it myself with some honing of the cylinder face.

Both companies make a good dependable product is all I'm saying.

Ike

Howdy

First off, does your Remmie have a brass frame or a steel frame? Both R&D and Kirst recommend against using their conversion cylinders with brass frames. Only steel frames.

Colorado Coffinmaker is correct about the caliber. Most 36 caliber C&B revolvers have .375 diameter rifling grooves. It's a long story but I can explain it if you really want. That means a conventional .357 or .358 diameter 38 Special bullet will not engage the rifling. The two workarounds are to use a hollow based bullet, which will expand to engage the rifling, or to sleeve the barrels for .357-.358 bullets. Option #1 is inconvenient, option #2 is expensive. Add that to the $240.

I do disagree about the firing pins on the R&D cylinders. I have two of them for my 44 caliber Remmies. I have not had any problems with the firing pins mushrooming over. Probably because I never dry fire them. There is always a live primer under the hammer to cushion the hammer blow to the firing pins.

Archived