SASS Wire Forum

Non-CAS Shotgun Question

Chief Rick

Was looking at a Benelli M2 semi-auto shotgun.

Noticed that Benelli owns Stoeger.

See that Stoeger offers a Model 2000 semi-auto shotgun.

Both have the "Inertia Driven system", but Benelli also has the Comfort Tech recoil system (the stock?).

Does anyone have any idea how the two shotguns compare - specifically the operating system & function?

MSRP for the Benelli is $1300+ while the Stoeger is $500-$600.

The inertia systems are virtually identical, but the recoil spring in the Benelli is in the butt stock while on the Stoeger it is under the fore end, which makes the fore end a tiny bit larger on the Stoeger. The hunting manager at Wholesale Sports where I work is a huge waterfowler and went with a Stoeger 2000 a couple years ago, and he doesn't feel the least bit handicapped by not having a Benelli or having a 3" gun instead of a 3 1/2"er. I did a lot of reading and talking with folks who have had both Benelli and Stoeger, and decided to go with a Stoeger 3500 earlier this year when they came out. I'm perfectly satisfied and have absolutely no regrets choosing Stoeger over Benelli. I've heard many, many people refer to the Stoeger as "The best Montefeltro you can buy for the money". :lol: If you are "in the industry", you can also pro-form the 2000 for 40% off MSRP through Benelli's "Friend of the Industry" program - $299.40/black or $329.40/camo. Unfortunately, this program doesn't apply to 1st year production guns, so the 3500 isn't eligible yet.

They operate the same although few parts are interchangeable. It outwardly appears that the Stoeger's receiver is modeled after the Beretta 390.

Why not a Remington 1100 or 11-87?

Just doing some research on the different inertia-driven shotguns vice the gas driven ones.

I don't own a semi-auto shotgun and am looking for something that would be good for 3-gun competition if I can find the time.

Not really - not fond of the humpback look.

Also would not want to muck up nice looking wood stocks since they haven't been in production for a while.

Archived